Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grease trap winter drainage

Hi,
    I'm have a 3 inches drain line, 140 ft long, between a one compartiment sink and a grease trap. The sink is located in a tempered kitchen. The drain line and the grease trap are located in an underground parking at 40 degrees F in winter. Is there any chance that grease would clogged in the drain pipe before reaching the grease trap. If so, what is the maximum distance I can install the sink from the grease trap?

Re: grease trap winter drainage

I'm not sure if theres a listed maximum on your grease line length, but the longer the run the more chances you have for the grease to cool and congeal. Very short runs seem to be the best.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Check with your local plumbing inspector to see what your code allows. Here in Illinois there is a maxinum distance.

Distance of Trap to Fixture. The developed length from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches, except when an interceptor is used as a trap, it shall be located as close as possible to the fixture. The maximum developed length from the fixture outlet to the inlet of the interceptor shall not exceed 5 feet. (See Appendix D: Illustration B.) The standpipe inlet for an automatic clothes washer shall not exceed 48 inches above the weir of a trap.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

do you end up with many outdoor grease interceptors in your area?

I can see keeping it within 5 feet if its a small 100 pound interceptor, in the floor right beside the floor sink.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          do you end up with many outdoor grease interceptors in your area?

I can see keeping it within 5 feet if its a small 100 pound interceptor, in the floor right beside the floor sink.
          I been digging through the code book for the outside stuff. Give me a few more minutes I will find it.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Here we have 1000 gallon grease interceptors. Anything that travels over 5' from the exterior of a structure is defined as sewer. Any sewer must be a minimum of 4".

J.C.

Comment

Working...
            X