Alternative Installation for New Shower Valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Installation for New Shower Valve

In my 1936 upstairs bath: shower valve and fixtures were 'embedded' (for lack of a better word) in the plywood built-in cabinet in the space behind the bathtub (not affixed to studs in a wall). They were leaking and have since been removed along with soggy cement board and said plywood. I have a new cabinet for that space (it's only 15") which is made of 3/4" plywood that I intend to use for a base for the tile backer board. There will also be a 2x4 screwed to the back tub wall to support the backer (there will be a gap of about 6 inches between the back of the cabinet and the wall). I intend to apply lumber on the inside of the cabinet to form 'studs' to which I will connect a block that the valve will be screwed into. I am using PEX tubing and some shark bite connectors. Any issues or concerns with this configuration? If so, other suggestions for the space behind the tub? The whole room is only 6x7, so I need all the storage I get.
    Thank you!!

Re: Alternative Installation for New Shower Valve

Is there anyway you can use something other than a sharkbite connector? such as a threaded by pex adapter, Sharkbites havent proven themselves in many proffesional's eyes and we would rather not see you bury something like this in your wall where it may leak un-noticed causing thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Other than that it sounds good to me

Comment

Re: Alternative Installation for New Shower Valve

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      Is there anyway you can use something other than a sharkbite connector? such as a threaded by pex adapter, Sharkbites havent proven themselves in many proffesional's eyes and we would rather not see you bury something like this in your wall where it may leak un-noticed causing thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Other than that it sounds good to me
      Thank you for your reply. It will actually be inside the cabinet, so it will be accessible. Also, I have some caps to test for leaks before I complete the installation.

Comment

Working...
      X