X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Van, or Work Truck?

I'm going to school for plumbing and heating, and I'm also in the market for a new vehicle. I'm personally not a big fan of vans, I'm looking at a Silverado. If i got multiple lockable truck boxes is that sufficient? I notice most companies have vans, and a lot of people own their own vans...but I want a truck...is that asking too much?

Re: Work Van, or Work Truck?

Van.

Comment

We did trucks mostly and the problem with those are that it's hard to set an alarm on the truck box's. Lock or not people will still break into them alarm or not. A van is more secure and all your tools are protected from the elements. Even with a truck box you open it up during a snow or rain and the water will sit in the bottom and rust out any tools you have in there. It happens way to often. Check out these threads "jetting from a busy sidewalk" or "trucks". Theres more of them out there just do a search.

Comment

yeah thanks. I didn't really think of the rain getting into the boxes...that makes too much sense. What about a utility body?
        also i liked the pictures of the truck...i can't wait to get into the field. As an apprentice do a lot of companies give you a truck when they put you on your own? or does everyone own their own vehicle. (i'm looking to get a job with a smaller company so i can learn everything i can the right way, as opposed to starting at a big company and learning one thing, and continuously doing that.)

Comment

Same deal. I am not a big fan of those, the seal on the doors gets broken or worn out easy and if you don't replace them then you have rusty tools. Not only that but if you have an open back if you using a snake you don't want that exposed to the elements all the time. Your cable's life is going to dramatically decrease. As far as getting your rig right away, probably not you will have some time with some one showing you the ropes and how they want their business run and how they do their billing and what part of that you have to deal with and so on and so on. Especially if your going with a small company. Corporate companies will put you through a two week or two day training class and throw you out there and see if you can swim. I am not saying corporate companies are bad it's just that some do it right and some don't.
          Last edited by DanLawrence; 06-12-2009, 05:43 PM. Reason: on the doors

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
            Van.
            Same here

Van

Comment

Thanks again. Looks like I'll be sucking it up and get a van for work. and maybe a truck for personal use.

Comment

Why do you need to buy a van anyways? If your working for some one else shouldn't they supply the rig and the tools?

Comment

well it was mainly because I want a personal vehicle for myself, and I figured I could kill two birds with one stone, but there is no rush on it. But I have almost all the tools I should need besides the power tools, and drain cleaning tools. I never thought companies supplied tools....I like to have my own anyway.

Comment

Vans are good if you are doing plumbing. But if you are doing drain work, a truck has it a huge advantage. The smell of what you just rodded stays in the back in and does not not make it into the cab. Where in a Van you get to smell that grease trap you just rodded out all day long... and its worse if you let the van back in the sun.

Right now I am running a sprinter. When its time to replace this I am going to get my hands on a four door pick up with a custom body on the back.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

yeah I'm thinking I'll be doing mostly service work and hopefully new construction (even though that's on the fritz....) so maybe a van is the best choice...but that is in the future...this is off topic but you guy all seem to know a lot more than me about this. I'm new to the field...I'm still a student, I'll be looking for a full-time position within the next 10 weeks because that's when I'm done with my associates degree. What are employers looking for? and how do I get the job without "knowing anyone" a few guys from my class have tried getting jobs and no one is hiring. What could set me apart from them. You guys have been really helpful

Comment

Originally posted by poolcleaneress View Post
                        yeah I'm thinking I'll be doing mostly service work and hopefully new construction (even though that's on the fritz....) so maybe a van is the best choice...but that is in the future...this is off topic but you guy all seem to know a lot more than me about this. I'm new to the field...I'm still a student, I'll be looking for a full-time position within the next 10 weeks because that's when I'm done with my associates degree. What are employers looking for? and how do I get the job without "knowing anyone" a few guys from my class have tried getting jobs and no one is hiring. What could set me apart from them. You guys have been really helpful
                        Go to the union hall, find out the sign up date, and make sure you go there and sign up on that day. If they like what they see they will call you in for an interview, and you go from there. Otherwise Use an online service like Indeed and search for plumbers hiring, then apply at the open shops. What most bosses are looking for are good hard working individuals that can pick up on the plumbing basics and learn as they go.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Talk to the guys teaching the classes you are taking. They might be able to help find a shop that's hiring. If you are doing service work most likely you'll be in someone else's truck. For new work, the Silverado should be fine.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks a lot for the advice on both the truck/van thing and the job ideas, I found a few on on that "indeed" website and i'll check out the union sing ups....explore all of my options.

Comment

Van

Check out jrsaltz (I think) van. Its awesome.

GMC cargo van with side access where the windows would be.

Looks like a regular cargo van.

The type and amount of equipment I have requires me to have a van.

The smell sucks but if I really cared I could seal off the front of the van.

Smells like money to me.
                              Last edited by HebertDrainCare; 06-12-2009, 11:18 PM.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

Working...
                              X