X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sewer Vent Question

If it is piped the way that you show it is wrong. If they buried it only 2 foot deep in NY and it is a house trap it WILL freeze. It WILL also get plugged up. SO make it accessable to thaw and snake.
    WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
    ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

It's a redo . exit from house is probably the same elevation. Old line must of been at same elevation. street sewer didn't move
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
        What is the rational behind a whole house trap? I don't see them here, think they are redundant, and don't see any advantage to having one. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what they might be good for.
        A properly plumbed structure has no need for an exterior trap. Tool, I'm not sure I believe the inspector's reasoning for house or building traps on a steep incline/long run sewer.

Seems the long run in conjunction with no vent (typically on sewer) on the inlet side that if there was potential for a siphon it would be......

to siphon out the house or building trap.

It seems a redundant old way of thinking. But makes plumbers money.

J.C.

Comment

I think I can see it, on houses that were done with S trapped fixtures and not enough/too small of vents.

But thats the only way my mind can wrap around the idea of a long or steep run causing an interior trap to siphon.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          A properly plumbed structure has no need for an exterior trap. Tool, I'm not sure I believe the inspector's reasoning for house or building traps on a steep incline/long run sewer.

Seems the long run in conjunction with no vent (typically on sewer) on the inlet side that if there was potential for a siphon it would be......

to siphon out the house or building trap.

It seems a redundant old way of thinking. But makes plumbers money.

J.C.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The only time I see them here is on mobile homes which all have improper venting, s traps, everything else, etc.

The trailer kitchen sinks usually have those pop up vents under the cabinet.

Is venting above the flood level, through the roof and fixture traps required where these whole house traps are?

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

On new const. in S.F. ,You will install a whole house trap. I don't get it either .I live 25 miles west of the city ,no house trap. No problems
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
                Sewerage traps were and still are designed to stop sewer gases from entering the property especially a building.

Tony
                well, duh, yes,

but if I've got a whole house trap, why do I need to trap, let alone vent, my fixtures? And if my fixtures are trapped with a vent behind them, what possible good does a whole house trap do me (except fester up and need my services)?

I mean honestly, I've got 6 or a dozen buildings I can think of off hand that I do preventative jetting on because they have inadvertent whole building traps due to sags in thier services.
                Last edited by Ace Sewer; 06-16-2009, 12:32 AM.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

The pipe is burried at that depth to tie into the existing sanitary sewer at the street, which is also at that depth. It made it through our last winter with single digit temps day after day. I guess I just need to eat more spicy food, heat the pipes up a bit

Our house was built in 1889. An under ground creek runs just below our house and way back when they tied our indoor plumbing to dump into that creek. So we got to poop in the creek for the past 10 years before the city discovered it. And here I was paying to have my sewage treated all these years.

Comment

That kind of thing happens.... I did a main line that turned out to be an old failed septic system. The house had supposedly been tied into sewer 20+ years earlier. Inspected, signed off, etc. They'd been paying sewer fees for all that time.
                    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X