Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sewer Vent Question

Hello everyone,

The city recently installed a new sewer line at our house. Now I have two 4" pvc pipes sticking out of my yard, one with a clean out cap and one with a drain cover.

I'm putting in a new lawn, and with these two pipes sticking up 12" right in the middle of the yard I would like to cut them back to grade so that I can mow right over them. Will that cause any problems as long as I keep the drain cover free of debris?

Thanks!

Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cacaparrot; 06-15-2009, 07:26 AM.

Re: Sewer Vent Question

If you could post pictures, that would be helpful.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

They are opposing clean-outs, meaning that you can snake to the street and back to the house. If you cut them flush to the ground you can install new female adapters and plugs on them. Just slip them over the outside of the pipe DO NOT cement them so that you can easily change them when they get broken (and they will definitely will get broken).
      Attached Files
      WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
      ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

Thanks Chauncey for the reply, and the great photo.

My only concern was that the city vented the one clean out with a drain screen (in the picture, its the one closest to house). Will I cause problems with the system if I cap it?

Thanks,

Dan

Comment

I'm not sure i've ever seen a drain screen like that on an outside cleanout. I'd love to know the thought process behind that
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

That's for a house trap. (I think)

Comment

ohhh good call. I've never actually worked with a whole house trap. Would a vent like that go in downstream of the trap itself?
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

No the vent is on the house side of the trap. Cool air enters, it warms and rises causing a constant fresh air change in the system.
                How Deep is it?
                If it is a whole house trap it should not be buried out side as it could freeze and it will definitely plug up one day.
                Check with the local inspector and find out if a house trap is required in your area.
                Maybe have a camera inspection to be sure of what it really is. Maybe the contractor that the city hired didn't have a second co fitting and just used anything he found in the truck.
                WE LIVE IN THE LAND OF THE FREE,
                ONLY BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Comment

I went out and pulled the covers off.

I'll start with the pipe closest to the street. I measured down, it is 24" below grade, then the pipe sticks up out of the ground 12". so a 36" run to the surface. The connection below is a tee, not a wye.

The pipe closest to the house is a different story. it is 30" below grade plus the 12" above grade. For a total run of 42". The pipe runs out of the house, 90s up at the vent, and then connects to the run with a tee.

I had my wife flush the toilet, and I could see water in the trap at the first pipe, water slammed into the 90 and then flowed out to the street.
                  Looks wrong to me, but I didn't pay for it, the city did. It made it through one winter. Any hopes that this will be somewhat trouble free for me or future owners?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cacaparrot View Post
                    I went out and pulled the covers off.

I'll start with the pipe closest to the street. I measured down, it is 24" below grade, then the pipe sticks up out of the ground 12". so a 36" run to the surface. The connection below is a tee, not a wye.

The pipe closest to the house is a different story. it is 30" below grade plus the 12" above grade. For a total run of 42". The pipe runs out of the house, 90s up at the vent, and then connects to the run with a tee.

I had my wife flush the toilet, and I could see water in the trap at the first pipe, water slammed into the 90 and then flowed out to the street.
                    Looks wrong to me, but I didn't pay for it, the city did. It made it through one winter. Any hopes that this will be somewhat trouble free for me or future owners?
                    No.

Comment

Some may not like this,but it will work fine. Buy 2 plastic [ green] sprinkler boxes.
                      Cut down both pipes and re plumb as they were. Top of cover should be flush with new lawn surface.On the one closest to the house[ whole house trap ,I think,the cover of the plastic box will need about 10- 1/4" holes to vent the trap SHOP,SHOVEL AND SHUT UP!
                      Last edited by toolaholic; 06-15-2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: forgot to vent!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yikes...

First three things I learned when I got into plumbing.

1. $h!t flows down hill.

2. Dont bite your fingernails.

3. Pay day is on Friday.

According to this picture, your sewer is flowing uphill.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

What is the rational behind a whole house trap? I don't see them here, think they are redundant, and don't see any advantage to having one. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what they might be good for.
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            What is the rational behind a whole house trap? I don't see them here, think they are redundant, and don't see any advantage to having one. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on what they might be good for.
                            Sewerage traps were and still are designed to stop sewer gases from entering the property especially a building.

Tony

Comment

We have them in S.F.. One inspector said " with the extreme steep hills ,it helps with fast
                              velocity from siphoning the inside house traps. Also keeps out rats"
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X