Question on bath install quotes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on bath install quotes

Looking at quotes to install a powder room plumbing. It is in a room with basement below and main sewer line almost directly below. Almost in line vertically is what was appears to be a floor drain in the basement connecting directly to the main sewer line. The drain is 3 inch cast and open no cover. Looking in the pipe it drops 3 and 1/2 feet vertically down to what appears to be a trap. Putting a tape in it is turns it seems 180 then 180 again to drop into the main line.

One quote has the floor torn up to connect to the main. The other has the bath drain connected to the existing stub for what I am calling a floor drain. That would leave this trap arrangement in the flow.

If the second cheaper arrangement correct? Both seem to make the permit people happy but no one has shown then the actual arrangement. There is allso a main building trap and cent a 10 feet away down the line just before the main line leaves the building footprint.

Re: Question on bath install quotes

Photos would be helpful. Is there access to the floor drain pipe in the basement?
    It is very difficult to tell without a lot more info. Maybe get a third bid.

Comment

You can't just drop a toilet, or for that matter even a lav sink, into a drain with a trap. That would be double traps....no good.

Where is the outlet from drain stack in your house to the sewer main? That is a more appropriate area to look for a connection, and yes it may involve cutting the floor up a little. Not as big a job as it sounds, for a professional who does this all the time.

Comment

The main stack is on the other side of the house over 40 feet away. The stack takes the main bath flow and the kitchen and is 4 inch. The sewer main runs across the floor under the slab around the perimeter of the home. There are four stub ups in the floor as it runs around the home. One serves a basement bath and I have not had that explored. The other three are simply 3 inch cast iron piped flush with floor spaced around the outside wall of the basement.

If you look into a stub up you can see a water level and if you put a rod into it it is about 3 to 5 feet down depending on the stub up. A drain snake feels like it turns up and we ( me and the contractor) assumed it is a trap? Perhaps have him look with a camera and locator?

What is confusing me is there are ALWAYS traps in series in this town. The code requires a main house trap so all the flow goes through this 4 inch U trap before it goes out to the sewer. I have a main vent and two clean out caps for the U trap just as the main line exits. It is not the expense of digging up the floor that is so bad but it is in a rotten place near a wall and deep so that the foundation could be undermined.

If I have a main trap why would a trap in series be bad here? I just do not understand and the inspector OKs it but is is really OK?

Comment

Traps in series aren't legal, and could and I believe Would cause trap siphoning, and very slow drains.

The correct answer would be hooking into the main.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

It seems traps in series are code required here with a main house trap being required and one on each fixture

Comment

if you knew the answer why did you bother to post?

having a trap drain into a trap is a bad idea. It's also not correct. If your municipality has a provision for a whole house trap that is still a different animal than double trapping a fixture, or worse yet, a series of fixtures.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I'm not sure you really have a plumber.

J.C.

Comment

Well I was just trying to understand how you can have a whole house trap with a trap at each fixture. Since that apparently is required why is it wrong to have two in series if there is a vent between. It sure SEEMS wrong but the main trap is there and works. I can not make any sense of it. I was hoping one of you would know the reason.

Comment

well first, sorry for the smart reply, tone is hard to read on forums.

we have another thread going currently "somewhere around here" about whole house traps, a lot of us have never dealt with them, in most area's they aren't considered to be normal or necessary.

They also look like a really bad place for blockages to form.

case in point, we had a slab crew rough some dog washes in with 2" traps under the concrete. thinking they would be indirect waste. the rough in crew just stuck sanitary tees on and autovents on in the cabinet under the dog wash, leaving it double trapped. Those were no end of trouble until we figured out what happened.

Comment

no problem

I have two homes in this town and the whole house traps are huge U loops with a clean put on top of each u leg and a 4 inch vent. Never had one clog

Comment

Working...
                      X