X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to extract broken 1.5

galvanized pipe from fitting. It's important for me NOT to effect piping behind new expensive tile. I'll have just enough room to access the fitting and broken pipe. My first thought was to cut down the length in a few places and try to seperate the pieces from the ID threads of the fitting.

I don't have an extractor that large, but it might be time I buy a set anyway.

What's you method for this job? If it's extractor, what set to buy

Mucho thanks

Re: Best way to extract broken 1.5

I normally cut the pipe length wise up into the fitting, being carefully not to cut into the fittings threads. Then when I put the pipe wrench on the pipe it collapses on itself at the cut and threads out easily. If its broken flush with the fitting where a pipe wrench is no good then make multiple cuts Lean wise on the pipe into the fitting, again careful with the threads. Then use a good heavy cold chisel to remove the pieces.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've never had much luck using pipe extractors over 1"

Follow Ratz instructions but be careful and go slow. After you do a few, you'll get the hang of it. Save your money on the extractor and use it towards a 1-1/2" tap to clean the threads you've buggered up.

Yeah, you're gunna booger some up

Comment

I got real lucky one day at a garage sale. Guy had a table full of taps from 1/2" all the way to 6" and every size in between in a box that said free for the hauling away. I nabbed that bad boy in a heart beat gave the old man 100 bucks anyways. It had two 3" taps, one 3 1/2" tap along with 4" a 5" and a 6" tap.. plus all the smaller sizes in multiples.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I got real lucky one day at a garage sale. Guy had a table full of taps from 1/2" all the way to 6" and every size in between in a box that said free for the hauling away. I nabbed that bad boy in a heart beat gave the old man 100 bucks anyways. It had two 3" taps, one 3 1/2" tap along with 4" a 5" and a 6" tap.. plus all the smaller sizes in multiples.
          One man's junk......

(I'm jealous, BTW!)

And I agree with SewerRatz's instructions. I don't even try to turn out alot of those anymore- go straight to plan 'B'.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
            One man's junk......

(I'm jealous, BTW!)

And I agree with SewerRatz's instructions. I don't even try to turn out alot of those anymore- go straight to plan 'B'.
            My mom came home one day and said "Ron, is $20.00 to much for a set of pipe wrenches? There is this big one about half as tall as me and three smaller ones at this garage sale I went to." I asked her for address and ran there. As I pulled up I saw a guy loading a 48" and a pair of 24" and a 18" Ridgid pipe wrenches into the trunk of his car. I was so sad that I missed the sale by 2 minutes. I never try to pass up any garage sales when I am out and about. Never know hwat you will find.

Comment

Working...
            X