X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue with PRV ???

I live in a house that was built in 2006. I bought it new. The entire time we have lived there, it has always had what I would describe as low water pressure. For example, when you turn on the hose outside, you get a burst of water at first and then it levels off and actually gets pretty low. I have just lived with it because I felt that this was normal in our neighborhood. Recently, I have visited some neighbors and found that they had much better pressure. I had someone adjust the PRV, but really nothing has gotten much better. Is this a problem with the PRV or something else ? I contacted a plumber and was told that it was probably bad and needed to be replaced and would cost $200+cost of visit. I do not want to do this until I get some more options or advice. Also, if it does need replacement, is this something that a novice can do with proper instructions or should I let a pro do it ??

Re: Issue with PRV ???

I would definitely let a pro do it. He would know how to diagnose the problem or problems.

It may just need to be cleaned, there is usually a screen that collects sediment. Some models have rebuild kits so you can rebuild the guts if needed.

Comment

since the house is new, have you checked with the builder?

have you checked with your water provider to verify the meter is flowing full volume?

it could be a partially closed water main valve or meter.

how's the volume to the sprinklers?

do the sprinkler come in before the pressure regulator.

personally i wouldn't replace the regulator unless i've tested these other above mentioned items.

get the ball rolling and re-post your findings.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. Below are the answers that I know.

1) since the house is new, have you checked with the builder? honestly, i do not want to deal with our builder anymore as it has not been a great relationship.

2) have you checked with your water provider to verify the meter is flowing full volume? yes, i had the city come by and they said their end was fine as far as pressure.

3) it could be a partially closed water main valve or meter. i will check this tonight

4) how's the volume to the sprinklers?

5) do the sprinkler come in before the pressure regulator.

on 4 and 5, I am not sure what you mean by sprinklers, unless you are talking about our hose out front. I honestly have never messed with much plumbing. I was always the electrician

I will see what I can find this evening and post back. thanks a lot Rick!!

Comment

Originally posted by jseivers View Post
          Thanks for the quick responses. Below are the answers that I know.

1) since the house is new, have you checked with the builder? honestly, i do not want to deal with our builder anymore as it has not been a great relationship.

2) have you checked with your water provider to verify the meter is flowing full volume? yes, i had the city come by and they said their end was fine as far as pressure.

pressure is not what you need. it's volume. so a 1/4'' icemaker line will show the same pressure as a 2'' water main. of course the volume will be less with the 1/4''. these are static pressures, meaning with the water not flowing.

3) it could be a partially closed water main valve or meter. i will check this tonight

4) how's the volume to the sprinklers?

i guess you don't have lawn sprinklers

5) do the sprinkler come in before the pressure regulator.

on 4 and 5, I am not sure what you mean by sprinklers, unless you are talking about our hose out front. I honestly have never messed with much plumbing. I was always the electrician

I will see what I can find this evening and post back. thanks a lot Rick!!
          are there any connections before the pressure regulator?

should be a simple diagnosis to find. might be a simple fix, might not

keep on it.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I know the house main is right next to the PRV in the crawl space. As far as the city, I just told them that we were unhappy with the pressure and wanted to make sure everything was ok on their end. They did not specify what they checked, but just said the water going to the house was fine. I will have to find a tool to make sure the street main is open all the way. I will also check the house main to make sure it is opened all the way.

Comment

I am going to guess the screen on the PRV is clogged. When the water shuts off the debris is free to float around. When the water comes back on it is forced into the screen.
              Is there dirt visible in your toilet tanks?

Comment

I have never noticed any dirt in the toilets. Only thing I have ever noticed is a couple times in the 3 years we have been there, I have seen a slight discoloration in the water that would last for a day and then clear up, but I figured that was just from the main lines.

Comment

You can see from just this little bit of going back and forth that it could be very simple it could be complex. That is why I recommend having a plumber come out to see what he can see.
                  I don't know how the first plumber came up with his diagnosis but hopefully he came out.

Comment

Well, I spoke with him on the phone and described the situation and he did mention that it could need cleaning or replaced and priced the replacement. I will take your advice and have someone come check it.

Thanks !!

Comment

I think EasyEman is right on target but I would be interested in knowing what your water pressure is before the prv. I would also suggest picking up a water pressure test gauge so you can self diagnose this yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X