Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky washerless single handle shower valve

Okay, I'm an idiot. (no surprise)

This is the shower valve in question (Matco-Norca). I'm in a condo that was built 3 years ago, so the valve is "new"

This piece attaches to another piece which attaches to the metal pipes which gives my shower water.

I took it apart because I wasn't getting any shower output below a certain temperature. I put it back together and got my shower working at any temperature... But now it leaks between the red ring and the hub seat (I'm using this diagram - it's not the exact system but it looks the same to me).

I've tried magic putty, silicone, teflon tape, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm using lots of pressure to tighten, so much so that when I overtighten it it hard to turn the shower handle.

What makes it even funnier, is that I have a second shower in my condo with the exact system, I took that apart, and in putting it back together it too leaks between the red part and the hub. It makes me feel like I'm putting it together wrong.

All the seals look okay - no corrosion (when I touch them they look/feel in excellent condition).

Please help before I pay $500 in idiot taxes. Thanks

Re: Leaky washerless single handle shower valve

Originally posted by shuuy View Post
    Okay, I'm an idiot. (no surprise)

This is the shower valve in question (Matco-Norca). I'm in a condo that was built 3 years ago, so the valve is "new"

This piece attaches to another piece which attaches to the metal pipes which gives my shower water.

I took it apart because I wasn't getting any shower output below a certain temperature. I put it back together and got my shower working at any temperature... But now it leaks between the red ring and the hub seat (I'm using this diagram - it's not the exact system but it looks the same to me).

I've tried magic putty, silicone, teflon tape, and I'm not sure what to do. I'm using lots of pressure to tighten, so much so that when I overtighten it it hard to turn the shower handle.

What makes it even funnier, is that I have a second shower in my condo with the exact system, I took that apart, and in putting it back together it too leaks between the red part and the hub. It makes me feel like I'm putting it together wrong.

All the seals look okay - no corrosion (when I touch them they look/feel in excellent condition).

Please help before I pay $500 in idiot taxes. Thanks
    Go take the kitchen faucet apart.

Hard to say for me. I'm suspicious of the area I've highlighted that you don't have the other piece mated correctly.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Go take the kitchen faucet apart.

Hard to say for me. I'm suspicious of the area I've highlighted that you don't have the other piece mated correctly.

J.C.
      There's two guiding "pins" for both this cartridge and it's friend, and I'm quite certain that I've put them in properly, but again, I'll go play now. Thanks!

Comment

You actually pulled the cartridge apart well thats a no no buy a new one and put it down to expirence.

Tony

Comment

The pictured cartridge is still one unit (ie the green and the beige are still together no problem)

This cartridge plugs into something else (see patent here) , which I have aligned, and plugs-in flush, although there's a gap (which is why I thought I needed to tighten hard. It's still leaky when assembled.

I got one of the two to work, with a drip every 5 minutes (tolerable)
          Last edited by shuuy; 06-18-2009, 06:40 AM.

Comment

LOL those plastic things are not meant to be disassembled and or reassembled. I would replace them.

Comment

Go out and buy a new cartridge and pressure balance valve. You should have a spare of each sitting around anyways.

AND DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

What will be different about a new one I purchase? I'm looking for a Matco Norca dealer in Canada (gah, why do they have to be so hard to find), but this question is because I'm curious.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by shuuy View Post
                  What will be different about a new one I purchase? I'm looking for a Matco Norca dealer in Canada (gah, why do they have to be so hard to find), but this question is because I'm curious.

Thanks
                  The problem is no one over the Internet is going to be able to tell you what a $100 per hour plumber can tell you in person. If you are trying to save money and it was not leaking before you removed it then hopefully a new one will solve your problem. Make sure all mating surfaces are clean and use plumbers grease where appropriate.

I believe what you are looking for is on page 49.

http://www.arpny.com/pdf/single.pdf

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Plastic nicks easily, cracks, it is easy to cross thread. It just doesn't take much to damage parts.
                    It seems to be the way things are trending though. Everything is disposable.

Comment

Working...
                    X