X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basement Bathroom Pluming Part 2

Thank so much to everybody who helped with my earlier question!

As I get the plumbing in place for my bathroom, it's quickly becoming apparent that there's not as much room for all those long turns as it seemed initially.

Here is a layout of what we're trying to do.

Besides the toilet (I have opted to go with the rear outflow toilet as suggested by you all), there is a lavatory and a small bar sink that will be draining into the same location. Problem is tying in this plumbing in a way that doesn't completely destroy the space. After playing with multiple approaches (see below) the following dry-fit scenario is where I'm at currently. (You should be able to determine from the location of the toilet flange how this corresponds with the diagram above.)

I have a couple questions regarding this arrangement:
    1. Is the wet venting done acceptably here?
    2. Would it be acceptable to use a sanitary tee coming off the toilet flange rather than a long sweep combo (Label D)? I know this is generally ok with toilets, but suspect the rules may be different with a rear outflow toilet.
    3. Is it acceptable for the toilet to be directly in front of the 4" cleanout (Label E)? I know there are rules about clearance in front of cleanouts, but don't know whether a toilet is considered "removable" by code.
    4. Any other comments/thoughts/suggestions? Feel free to ridicule my ignorance.
    As an alternative to pulling the sink drain so far out of the way, I have considered a couple other options:
    • A double wye in place of the 4" combo wye (Label F). But this would push the wall framing out excessively, boxing the toilet in.
    • A 4" x 4" x 2" combo wye before or after the 4" combo wye (Label F). But this would push the toilet too far under the stairs. Not workable.
    • Alternate toilet arrangement, east facing rather than north facing. Also not workable with the space (which surprised me when I actually tried it.)
    • A custom fitting in place of the 4" combo wye. (See sketch.) But it doesn't seem to exist, I can't find anybody who could fabricate it, and I'm sure it would be horribly expensive if I did.
    Your advice is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Phil2; 06-18-2009, 05:49 AM. Reason: Misspelled "plumbing"... of all things!

Re: Basement Bathroom Plumbing Part 2

Hmmm... crickets. I fear I may have angered the plumbing gods with my egregious misspelling. (I'm not sure what the proper sacrice would be. Perhaps the copper DWV lines that I removed?)

I promise I'll start being good. I'll go to home depot more regularly, and I'll quit talking $#!+ or making funny comments about plumbers crack, and I promise I'll stop flushing kitty litter down the toilet. (J/K, that wasn't me.)
    Last edited by Phil2; 06-20-2009, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Re: Basement Bathroom Pluming Part 2

You don't need the vent pipe at all the vent can come off of the lav drain line.
      sigpic

Comment

seconded, dump the vent line, and come off the top of the lav to vent the whole thing.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Phil, you've got a tough layout to work with there. What you have dry fitted won't fly.

You need to hire a plumer familiar with your codes to come and take a look. He'll need several boxes of plastic fittings and try some layouts to see what works and what doesn't. What you want and what you can get to meet code may not be the same. I doubt anyone here can walk you through this.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it figured out. It should be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            Phil, you've got a tough layout to work with there. What you have dry fitted won't fly.

You need to hire a plumer familiar with your codes to come and take a look. He'll need several boxes of plastic fittings and try some layouts to see what works and what doesn't. What you want and what you can get to meet code may not be the same. I doubt anyone here can walk you through this.

Good luck and post pictures when you get it figured out. It should be interesting
            Thanks for the replies!

Plumberscrack, I believe you (and even have half a mind to heed your advice, imagine that )... but when you say that what I have dry-fitted won't fly, can you explain why? I'm not in it just for the end result, but also because I want to learn.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice you all are willing to give in these forums! (I work in IT, so if you ever need any computer-related advice, be sure to look me up.)

-Phil

Comment

Working...
            X