Well Pump Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Pump Question

I have a 10 year old Mcdonald submersible well pump. Just recently it has been "stopping". I will shut the breaker off for a while and it will come back on. The area we live in has GREAT wells so I am thinking this pump is on it's way out.
    Input??
    Also what kind would be a good replacement?
    Thanks!

Re: Well Pump Question

Replace it with a Grundfos or Goulds dont skimp on your well pump with an off name manufacturer. I would also cahnge the control and pressure swith while you are at it.

Comment

Before condemning it, do an amp draw test when it's running, but yes, it's probably on its way out.
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the thermal overload built into the pump is tripping. An amprobe on the wire can probably confirm it why that may be happening. I'd check it out before you go replacing stuff so you know where the failure is.

Grundfos is no longer in business unfortunately.

So Goulds is your best bet. If possible get a Goulds with a Franklin Electric motor. A few years back Goulds decided to make their own motors. I've yet to have a problem with them but they haven't passed the test of time. My experience with Goulds changing stuff up for higher profits has never been good. The distributors around me are buying Goulds pumps and attaching Franklin motors then packaging them. I always opt for the Franklin motors if they are in stock.

Another thing to look at is if the pump is 2 wire or 3 wire. If possible a 3 wire preferred. They have s separate control box with the starting capacitor that's installed in the house. A 2 wire every things built into the motor. Most pumps will blow through one capacitor in their lifetime. The 3 wire is only like 30 bucks more.

Comment

Grundfos isnt in business anymore? Since when? Most of the hot water circulating pumps I use are grundfos and I prefer their well pumps to any other with their 100% Stainless design. Please tell me that you are mistaken because I would be very disheartened if this is true.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            Grundfos isnt in business anymore? Since when? Most of the hot water circulating pumps I use are grundfos and I prefer their well pumps to any other with their 100% Stainless design. Please tell me that you are mistaken because I would be very disheartened if this is true.
            Not to worry, they are still here.
            http://www.grundfos.us/
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              Looks like I was mistaken. I thought they had gone out of business.

A while ago their production went to crap. First it was problems with their jet pumps going to a cheaper cast iron which caused multiple issues due to scaling on the inside of the pump housings coming off and ruining impellers and/or plugging stuff up.

Then on their submersible like they had a flaw in the molds that caused the built in checks to jam closed and sometimes leak.

My Father made a decision to never touch them again. This was before I was as involved in the business. We've been using primarily Goulds for our pumps since.

Comment

Originally posted by boytyperanma View Post
                Sounds like the thermal overload built into the pump is tripping. An amprobe on the wire can probably confirm it why that may be happening. I'd check it out before you go replacing stuff so you know where the failure is.

Grundfos is no longer in business unfortunately.

So Goulds is your best bet. If possible get a Goulds with a Franklin Electric motor. A few years back Goulds decided to make their own motors. I've yet to have a problem with them but they haven't passed the test of time. My experience with Goulds changing stuff up for higher profits has never been good. The distributors around me are buying Goulds pumps and attaching Franklin motors then packaging them. I always opt for the Franklin motors if they are in stock.

Another thing to look at is if the pump is 2 wire or 3 wire. If possible a 3 wire preferred. They have s separate control box with the starting capacitor that's installed in the house. A 2 wire every things built into the motor. Most pumps will blow through one capacitor in their lifetime. The 3 wire is only like 30 bucks more.

I don't know what to recommend anymore. I've pulled Red Jackets, Goulds, F&W's, Myers, probably all of the Pentairs etc. etc. etc.

Seems like all had Franklin motors. No logic to the failures. Minimal lightning strikes, but all motors were failed or just locked. Remove the motors and the impellers would turn.

Sidenote: Franklin had begun making well pumps. Don't know if they're good or how the company is doing now. Last I read they were laying some off.

And in turn, that pissed off some of their buyers, so the pump head makers were looking at making their own motors.

So, in short, I still don't know what to recommend.

J.C.

Comment

Re: Well Pump Question/Resolved!

So I headed out this AM and got a new pump and with some help we made the switch. After doing the rewire it turned out that it was the Amtrol Digital control at my pressure tank. Even though it was not giving any error code it was the source of the problem. So back to the supply house for a Square D pressure switch.
                  Sometimes "new" technology ends up costing $$. I guess I can look on the bright side I now have a new pump and should be set for 10-15 years!

Comment

I've only installed two submersible pumps, both time I used Lancaster pumps, they are still going w/o problem, but it's only been 12 years on one and 6 on the second pump.

http://www.lancasterpump.com/respumps.php
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                    X