X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Powere Backup Sump Pump

OK, just had a couple of my rental properties get water in the basements due to a power outage this weekend. Of course the sump pits overflowed and ran across the floor to the floor drains.

I am considering installing city water powered backup sump pumps in both of these properties and was wondering if any of you have experiences or experience with them. I have a couple of friends who have the battery powered units which work well for a short outage, but even they go dead during extened power failures.

Your thoughts / experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Water Power Backup Sump Pump

I know this is kind of getting off the subject but please give it some thought.

On average about how many power failures of longer than 1 hour per year do you have in your area? As of spring 2008 does it seem like you have more than the normal number of power failures? Are there several properties all together? What about the need for other electrical devices during extended power failures?
    Last edited by Woussko; 06-22-2009, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Re: Water Powere Backup Sump Pump

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
      OK, just had a couple of my rental properties get water in the basements due to a power outage this weekend. Of course the sump pits overflowed and ran across the floor to the floor drains.

I am considering installing city water powered backup sump pumps in both of these properties and was wondering if any of you have experiences or experience with them. I have a couple of friends who have the battery powered units which work well for a short outage, but even they go dead during extened power failures.

Your thoughts / experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
      Check with your local building/ water department. Many of these water powered pumps do not meet the plumbing code. And if they do allow it they will require a RPZ valve to be installed on the supply to these pumps which needs to be tested and certified yearly by a cross connection device inspector. So you will have that added expense. I install plenty of the PHCC Pro 2400 units. It gives 7 hours of continuous pump time as long as you use their battery.

I had a lady that I installed one of these units for her, and her power went out for 72 hours and the unit still had 25% on the battery when she called me asking me what to do. I showed up with a new battery filled it with the acid (freshly filled will yield 80% charge) as I was walking down the stairs the power came back on. We ended up hooking up the second battery anyways in parallel it will double the run time.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I guess I should futher clarify some of the issues. The Sump pits on these two problem properties are only about 12 inches in diameter so there will not be enough room to install two sump pumps, one on AC and a battery backup. But there is room for an addional 1 1/2 inch suction line for a water powered backup. There currently no inspection requirements for for a backflow preventer in my town, and this will be installed by a licenced and bonded plumbing company.

I was just wondering if any had any long term experience with these devices.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Then you might want to have a look into the SumpPro system. http://www.sumpro.com/sumprogold.htm They use two marine batteries to power your A/C pump. They say the system will run your pump for 15 to 20 hours.

As for the water powered pumps I am not very impressed by them. The on/off part of the pump gets fouled up just like the on/off part of ball cocks in your water closet. I seen many that failed to turn on due to lime and mineral build up in the unit, also had calls about high water bills due to them not shutting off 100%

If I owned the property I would put in a properly sized sump pump pit and install either the PHCC-2400 battery back up or the duel pump SumpPro Platinum http://www.sumpro.com/sumproplat.htm
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Who pays the water bill?? You or the tennant? Look at the GPH for these..compare them with the battery b/u system.

Comment

Using 1 gallon of water to pump 2 gallons fails to impress me...
              Yes you do need an RPZ...
              If they don't require it they should!
              Don't set yourself up to be the test case that contaminates the water supply...
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Working...
              X