X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water meter connection: 2-second question

This should hopefully be a really simple question, but I can't find the answer anywhere else.

I need to replace a short section of pipe coming off the water meter, which is in our basement, read electronically from outside the house. It looks to be a 3/4" brass threaded male adapter. Can I use a regular 3/4" female solid copper fitting, or do I need something that turns independently of the copper pipe? Seems the latter would be the case, so that you could later disconnect from the meter without cutting the pipe, but I don't recall seeing anything like that, outside of hose connections and compression fittings.

Gracias!

Re: Water meter connection: 2-second question

They are special meter parts. You can't get them outside professional plumbing supply houses.

Comment

most water meters under 1.5'' come with brass tailpieces that are a few inches long and have a union nut that mates with the meter. the union nut is a non tapered thread that compresses a rubber washer. very similar to a hose connection.

your water supplier should be able to supply you a replacement tailpiece if yours is damaged.

1.5'' and up is typically a bolted flange.

if you read real fast, you might get through in 2 seconds

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Excellent, good to know!

Comment

Indeed, upon closer inspection there is a brass tailpiece coming off the water meter. It was so dirty it looked like galvanized, which seemed a bid odd to me. Makes a whole lot more sense now!

Comment

Working...
          X