Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Copper Epoxy....

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
    This might be true (being that your licensed and im not I can only assume you are correct), however, HUD built homes DO not go by state code. If a hud built home (mobile home, trailer, etc.) is in the state of IL. it very well could have AAV's. If a HUD home has them then it makes perfect since that they would sell them at supply houses.
    Well here is the funny thing about codes. They are bare minimum guides for people to follow. Cities, Townships, Counties and even the states can make the code stricter. During my last continued education class, they touched base on Mobile homes. If they are brought in to Illinois and do not meet what Illinois wants for the plumbing code then it must be corrected. And FYI I do not take the continued education classes up in the Chicago area, I take the ones in southern Illinois, where there seems to be a lot more mobile home parks down there.

OK lets move on to flexible supply lines for water heaters. Some parts of the US requires them here in Illinois it is against the code as well. Illinois wants the water and gas pipe to the water heater hard piped. Must use a union on the piping to be able to change water heaters easily. But the supply houses sell the flexible piping. My original post is they can sell anything they want, it just not legal for use in the Illinois plumbing code.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Why would Illinois make it legal to replace the "Chicago loop" (what we call island venting here) with aav's.

Comment

I have much hate for those flexible water heater supply lines, but I also don't live in earthquake country. my boss always adds them to his generic trim package orders, anymore I dump the things at the shop for someone else to use.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          Well here is the funny thing about codes. They are bare minimum guides for people to follow. Cities, Townships, Counties and even the states can make the code stricter. During my last continued education class, they touched base on Mobile homes. If they are brought in to Illinois and do not meet what Illinois wants for the plumbing code then it must be corrected. And FYI I do not take the continued education classes up in the Chicago area, I take the ones in southern Illinois, where there seems to be a lot more mobile home parks down there.

OK lets move on to flexible supply lines for water heaters. Some parts of the US requires them here in Illinois it is against the code as well. Illinois wants the water and gas pipe to the water heater hard piped. Must use a union on the piping to be able to change water heaters easily. But the supply houses sell the flexible piping. My original post is they can sell anything they want, it just not legal for use in the Illinois plumbing code.

I have ALWAYS been told that in a HUD approved dwelling NO local codes may be applied. I know local codes can disallow hud homes if they arent the proper wind rating, but with all my work around mobile homes I have always been told thats it..... Speeding is illegal, so why is it legal to sell the garbage that kids buy now a days to make a honda go over 100.

Comment

Is there a place to see the current mobile home codes online?

Sort of off topic I know but sort of irrelevent too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
              The material may be fine. However, engineering a correct adhesive joint involves far more than the material. For example, for adhesive purposes, "clean" means something entirely different than it does for sweating. Also, the bond line thickness must be very specifically controlled in any adhesive joint, and again, it's different than sweat joints. With adhesive, there's pretty much ONE way to get it right and a million ways to get it wrong. In a factory, they can control the process (even though some don't do very well)... it's more or less impractical to do that reliably in the field. None of this matters much if you're gluing the handle on your weedwacker.... but I wouldn't use glue for important applications.
              Very well put.... Definitely sounds like a reply from an engineer. This brings up another question.... My background, as well as my degree, is in automotive collision repair. I am a firm believer in welding, but alot of guys are switching to adhesive bonding methods for panels. The manufacturers swear that is just as strong, if not stronger, than a weld. Im guessing the same concept applies here?

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                Thanks for all the help guys.... It makes since that UL would approve it but thats not enough. Im going to leave it for now, even though I know I shouldnt. The house is a rental and the management co is my customer, not the tenant. There is no risk of it causeing damage to the house as it is an outside hose faucet.
                Who pays for the water? Seems like that person deserves your best repair.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                  Why would Illinois make it legal to replace the "Chicago loop" (what we call island venting here) with aav's.
                  Well the part of the code I posted a few posts back is why. AAV's do not allow the emission of air.

"The venting system shall be designed and installed to permit the admission or emission of air "

Comment

>> "The manufacturers swear that is just as strong, if not stronger, than a weld. Im guessing the same concept applies here?"

I'm a car guy, too and have done a lot of sheetmetal work. I'm a firm believer in TIG or gas welding for sheet metal. I wouldn't even attempt to glue a panel - no way!

Some body repair manufacturers make products based on the average life expectancy of a road car and/or the amount of time that the average person owns the car before selling it. The things I do tend to be project cars that I want to last essentially forever (or at least as long as possible). Being all too aware of the problems one can get into with adhesive solutions, I would never use any of these quick-fix kinds of techniques.

It does take effort to learn to weld sheet metal. But once learned, it is pretty fast and bulletproof. I think there are large parts of the body repair industry that want to employ $10 per hour people to repair cars. There is no way you are going to get a real body man for that kind of money, so they give us glue.

Comment

Who pays for the water? Seems like that person deserves your best repair.

The tenant. I dont know why, but around here the water company will adjust the bill of you had a repair made. Ive had tenants with running toilets who didnt report the problem untill their water bill was 200-250 over whats usual. All they have to do is submit a form to the water company and they adjust that months bill to the average of the past three months. I dont agree with it because they should still have to pay for water used reguardless of how it was used. If my truck gets a hole in the gas tank the gas station I go to isnt going to adjust my bill on the next fill up to reflect all of the gas I lost. However, you are correct, they do deserve a correct repair.

Comment

Well the part of the code I posted a few posts back is why. AAV's do not allow the emission of air.

"The venting system shall be designed and installed to permit the admission or emission of air "

Misread my post!

Comment

Misread my post!
                          Yes I did. Sorry about that. Thats what I get for trying to read posts before I am 100% awake.

Comment

Yes I did. Sorry about that. Thats what I get for trying to read posts before I am 100% awake.
                            That's what I get for my weird sense of humor!

Comment

Working...
                            X