X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Epoxy....

I picked up some copper epoxy from HD a while back incase I needed it in an emergency. I had a customer with a cracked hose faucet today and didnt have my trailer with me. I ended up gluing a new faucet on with the epoxy. My intentions were to go back out tommorrow and sweat a permanant one on. I got to reading the epoxy and it says its UL approved for fire sprinklers. It looks like the manufacturer intends on it being a permanant bond, not just for temporary fixes. I am thinking about leaving it on just to see how it lasts, as I am in the neighborhood almost every day so I can fix it any time. Whats your guys opinions on this stuff?

Re: Copper Epoxy....

It's sold at HD and not in supply houses for a reason. I wouldn't use it, or trust it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
      It's sold at HD and not in supply houses for a reason. I wouldn't use it, or trust it.
      *sighs* Have a look around Ferguson. It is a sad truth that supply houses will sell items that do not even meet code around here. For example they sell AAVs, which do not meet the Illinois code what so ever. I asked them about why they would sell items that do not meet the code. They told me there is no law keeping them from selling the items, just a law preventing the end user using in their plumbing systems.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        *sighs* Have a look around Ferguson. It is a sad truth that supply houses will sell items that do not even meet code around here. For example they sell AAVs, which do not meet the Illinois code what so ever. I asked them about why they would sell items that do not meet the code. They told me there is no law keeping them from selling the items, just a law preventing the end user using in their plumbing systems.
        Why would it say it meets UL standards for Fire sprinkler systems. Are those standards less than typical plumbing code? Like I previously stated, I bought it for temp use. I dont trust the stuff

Comment

To the best of my knowlege, AAV's do meet HUD code and Im guessing you have mobile homes in Illinois.

Comment

sweets. if you really care about the customer here, go do the job correctly. if you want to test your theory do it at your home. are there any of the codes that allow this? i'm to lazy to look. you realize that the only bright spot here is that when it ruptures or slow leaks the the home to ruin is that the lawyers will put you butt out of business. not sayin nuthin here, just askin ,just askin. breid

Comment

sweets. in your first post you talked about leaving it and watching it as you drove by.. now your talking temporary. let's play "pick one". which is it? breid

Comment

AAV's are permitted by IPC, I believe as long as one vent penetrates the roof. Here in Springfield they're illegal for new construction, but permitted for remodels.

Copper epoxy seems kinda shady to me code approved or not. but this coming from the guy who can't install sharkbites properly.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

lots of high end widespread faucets use this stuff in the assembly of their products. sue it's not pressurized 24/7, but it does go through pressure and temperature cycles on a daily basis.

i've never tried it and i doubt i ever will. but i have used the fiberglass repair tape on emergencies with good results.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                    To the best of my knowlege, AAV's do meet HUD code and Im guessing you have mobile homes in Illinois.
                    AAV's are not allowed in Illinois period. Two parts of the code disallows them. Underlining added by me.

SUBPART K: VENTS AND VENTING

Section 890.1420 Stack Vents, Vent Stacks, Main Vents
                    a) Design. A properly designed and installed venting system, in conjunction with the soil or waste system, is essential to protect trap seals and prevent siphonage, aspiration, or back pressure. The venting system shall be designed and installed to permit the admission or emission of air so that under normal and intended use the seal of any fixture trap shall never be subjected to a pneumatic pressure differential of more than a one (1) inch water column. If a trap seal is subject to loss by evaporation, means shall be provided to prevent loss of the trap seal.
                    Section 890.1480 Types of Fixture Trap Vents
                    d) Mechanical Vents. Mechanical devices shall not be installed in lieu of vent piping.

Comment

Originally posted by futuresweets10 View Post
                      Why would it say it meets UL standards for Fire sprinkler systems. Are those standards less than typical plumbing code? Like I previously stated, I bought it for temp use. I dont trust the stuff

UL listing is not enough. To meet plumbing codes it must have a ASTM approval. Solder that plumbers use has to meet the ASTM B 32-1996 standard. Also being approved for use on Fire Sprinkler systems, is not an approval to be used on potable water.

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys.... It makes since that UL would approve it but thats not enough. Im going to leave it for now, even though I know I shouldnt. The house is a rental and the management co is my customer, not the tenant. There is no risk of it causeing damage to the house as it is an outside hose faucet.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          sweets. in your first post you talked about leaving it and watching it as you drove by.. now your talking temporary. let's play "pick one". which is it? breid
                          In my first post I did say that I purchased the stuff for temp use, and that I was thinking about leaving it. In the second post I restated my original intention with the product to show my view on it.

Comment

AAV's are not allowed in Illinois period. Two parts of the code disallows them. Underlining added by me.
                            This might be true (being that your licensed and im not I can only assume you are correct), however, HUD built homes DO not go by state code. If a hud built home (mobile home, trailer, etc.) is in the state of IL. it very well could have AAV's. If a HUD home has them then it makes perfect since that they would sell them at supply houses.

Comment

The material may be fine. However, engineering a correct adhesive joint involves far more than the material. For example, for adhesive purposes, "clean" means something entirely different than it does for sweating. Also, the bond line thickness must be very specifically controlled in any adhesive joint, and again, it's different than sweat joints. With adhesive, there's pretty much ONE way to get it right and a million ways to get it wrong. In a factory, they can control the process (even though some don't do very well)... it's more or less impractical to do that reliably in the field. None of this matters much if you're gluing the handle on your weedwacker.... but I wouldn't use glue for important applications.

Comment

Working...
                              X