X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expansion Tank for Water Heater

Yet another consideration that was just brought to my attention ... the expansion tank has a maximum pressure rating of 150 PSI. So I need to ensure the TPR valve on the water heater is rated less than that so an extreme pressure situation causes the TPR valve to discharge before the expansion tank ruptures. If my existing TPR valve is 150 PSI (typical for residential water heaters), then that needs to be replaced as part of the expansion tank installation job. I'll have to check the TPR valve when I get home later ... I assume it is stamped with the pressure rating. If I need to have the TPR replaced, should I have them install a 125 PSI valve?

Comment

150# is the standard for the industry. remember that the working pressure is 150, but the burst is most likely 300#.

you bring up some interesting observations, but an expansion tank is pretty much a no brainer install.

i too looked at that install from the the plumbing co. and i wouldn't want that on my web site as an example of my work

the 159 is a good price, but the travel charge is nuts.

honestly the tank can be installed anywhere a cold tee can be installed. i don't care for the tilt on their install or the venting either.

you know and read enough to do it yourself

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        150# is the standard for the industry. remember that the working pressure is 150, but the burst is most likely 300#.

you bring up some interesting observations, but an expansion tank is pretty much a no brainer install.

i too looked at that install from the the plumbing co. and i wouldn't want that on my web site as an example of my work

the 159 is a good price, but the travel charge is nuts.

honestly the tank can be installed anywhere a cold tee can be installed. i don't care for the tilt on their install or the venting either.

you know and read enough to do it yourself

rick.
        Rick, thanks for explanation. In that case, I'll stick with my existing TPR valve, so that's one less thing to deal with.

Also thanks for your vote of confidence. But I limit my plumbing projects to drains and similar things with minimal impact if (when) I screw up. For anything involving water under pressure, I rely on a pro. (That slogan you see on the window of a plumber's van in attached photo is true, I'm sure .)

I will check around for quotes from other local plumbers before I make a decision to hire someone. This job is not urgent.
        Attached Files

Comment

Holy crap, is that the best piping job you can get in California? Looks like something done by a handyman.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Holy crap, is that the best piping job you can get in California? Looks like something done by a handyman.
            I tried to keep quiet, but that looks like azz. Can't believe it's a promotional picture either.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by nhmaster3015 View Post
              holy crap, is that the best piping job you can get in california? Looks like something done by a handyman.
              No

Comment

Working...
              X