Sump Pump - No Tiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump Pump - No Tiles

I'm going to sink a sump that won't have any drain tiles hooked up to it and will rely on water leaching thru the 2-3" of gravel under the house to get there. The pit will be 18wX22h" and the discharge will be 5-6'. I don't know how quickly the pit would fill up during a storm via gravel. I'm planning on getting a Zoeller but don't know how powerful of one I'll need for this application. I see alot of good notes about the M53 and see the 'N' series don't have external switches/floats. Are the 98 series too powerful for this? Do I need one all cast iron or is a plastic impeller ok along with a plastic base? I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction as I don't want to just go over to the local store and get one that's not as durable. Thanks!!

M53 - 43gpm/2500gph, 3/10 hp, plastic base & plastic impeller, tethered float
    M57 - 43gpm/2500gph, 3/10 hp, all cast iron, tethered float
    N53 - 43gpm/2500gph, 3/10 hp, plastic base & impeller, internal switch
    M98 - 72gpm/4300gph, 1/2 hp, plastic base & impeller, tethered float

I already contacted Zoeller and they won't offer any advice.
    Last edited by bobt; 07-01-2009, 12:57 PM.

Re: Sump Pump - No Tiles

Just sinking a pump pit does not work very well. I have done it and did the hole 9 yard, pea stone, sliced small holes in the pit. It only work for maybe a year or so and after that the water never found the pit.

Comment

I know that's the risk of a pit with no tiles but I don't have 10k to spend to put them in. My research shows alot of people put the pits in with no tiles in them in. That's why Menards, Home Depot, Lowes etc sell basins and pumps. Actually the pit I'm looking at over at Home Depot doesn't have the holes on the side for the tiles even though their picture shows it. Worse thing happens I fill the hole back in with concrete if it doesn't work.

How about which pump to use?

Comment

I have a question

How is the water suppose to get into the pit without drain tiles?

Without drain tiles, I doubt you will need to pump 4300 gallons an hour

M53 is the industry standard. Very reliable and thats exactly what you want in a sump pump

Comment

zoeller have always been good pumps for me. how use liberty as supply house switched to them awhile back. if you go to your local supply house you will do better. breid

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            I have a question

How is the water suppose to get into the pit without drain tiles?
            Leach thru the gravel under the house toward the lowest point. Water's coming up from below so there's water there when it rains. One of your plumber members talked about how the hole many times fills up with water before before he could get the entire hole dug. This isn't something I dreamed up. There's plenty of 'How To's' out there including a Popular Mechanics article that's linked to many times.

Here's the Ask This Old House video on doing it:
            http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631605,00.html

I already had this discussion on another thread. I also know of 3 people that have done it since I started looking into it.
            Last edited by bobt; 07-01-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Without drain tiles, I doubt you will need to pump 4300 gallons an hour

M53 is the industry standard. Very reliable and thats exactly what you want in a sump pump
              So the cast iron impeller and base of the M57 vs plastic isn't really necessary for the added expense?

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by bobt View Post
                So the cast iron impeller and base of the M57 vs plastic isn't really necessary for the added expense?

Thanks!!
                Only if you plan on pumping solids, sand or grit

Comment

i just watched the link to the video. A couple of key things.......It is not that easy. It is a messy, nasty nasty job. There will be water in the hole and your shovel has to dig down 2ft . There is no need to put stone in the pit. Just slice holes in the side of the pit and the water will bleed in and hold it down. If that does not hold it down then cut a board and wedge it from the pit to the floor joist. (you do not want your pump near gravel). last the way he showed the discharge out side............it will freeze in the winter!!!! trust me on that!

Comment

Thanks for the info!!!

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                    i just watched the link to the video. A couple of key things.......It is not that easy. It is a messy, nasty nasty job. There will be water in the hole and your shovel has to dig down 2ft . !
                    I agree. I had to dig countless holes for posts with a human powered post hole digger. Not a good time going 2' with one of them. Being 20" wide, I can use a trench shovel for alot of it.

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                    i last the way he showed the discharge out side............it will freeze in the winter!!!! trust me on that!
                    What part will freeze that he did? What do you recommend? I planned to pipe it into the 6" gutter drain pipe that's pitched under the dirt outside.

What did you think about the landscape fabric? Seems like that will get cloggged up or rot over the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X