X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trap primer not working ???????

installed 2 ppp pr-500 for 2 floor drains. Ya now I know 1 would have taken care of both.
    Haven't checked the 2nd one but one isn't working. how does the allen adjusting screw work?? Arrows are installed correct . and this is not the one that backed up on the drain line test. thanks Tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: trap primer not working ???????

Are you getting enough pressure drop?
    Some have problems when they rough in close to a low volume fixture,I.E. drinking fountain.

Others too far away in the middle of the system.

Comment

PR-500 shows "Prime Right".No adjusting.

Comment

i'm sure you know this but no pipe dope! or like dirty said not enough pressure drop i think its needs something like 10# or so..
        Last edited by plumbworker; 07-03-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

They are both close to the faucets 12" of so. I use unions ,and pipe dope. I'll check them for debrea next week. PRV is set at 60 psi for home. Thanks Tool
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Remove the other primer and install it in place of the non working one. But, first flush the line and no pipe dope, just tape. Quickest way to determine whether the primer is defective.
            Last edited by Plumbus; 07-04-2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
              Are you getting enough pressure drop?
              Some have problems when they rough in close to a low volume fixture,I.E. drinking fountain.

Others too far away in the middle of the system.
              This is a laundry tray with standard 2 valves. Good flow. Can You please explain pressure drop ,and how it is affected in this application ,Thank's Tool

Comment

tool, years ago we were allowed to use trap primers that had an adjusting screw to dial them in for the proper flow. the way they operate is when they detect a drop in pressure. they open to provide a drip to keep the trap wet/ primed.

but in the last 20+ years we can't install trap primers with the adjusting screw or a dedicated shut off valve. this is to keep people from shutting them off.

the pressure drop is required to allow them to open. if there is not enough of a pressure drop they remain in the closed position and defeat their purpose of supplying water to the trap.

i'm sure a few steaks and i can fix it right up

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

PPP - P500 Trap Primer web page

Instruction Sheets

Prime Rite - PDF Plugin Required

P1 and P2 - PDF Plugin Required

Last edited by Bob D.; 07-05-2009, 08:06 PM.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    tool, years ago we were allowed to use trap primers that had an adjusting screw to dial them in for the proper flow. the way they operate is when they detect a drop in pressure. they open to provide a drip to keep the trap wet/ primed.

but in the last 20+ years we can't install trap primers with the adjusting screw or a dedicated shut off valve. this is to keep people from shutting them off.

the pressure drop is required to allow them to open. if there is not enough of a pressure drop they remain in the closed position and defeat their purpose of supplying water to the trap.

i'm sure a few steaks and i can fix it right up

rick.
                    Give him a holler on your flyover home and he can toss'em up to you.

Comment

Thanks guys,Plumbus nailed it! Way to much pipe dope from the old DOPE ! Cleaned both of them up ,adjusted the allen set screw, works fine. I do like the adjust option,are these against code for Me in S.F.?? Cal .steam stocks these. I realize in general,I'm using too much pipe dope, That is over. Yes only tape this time. It says right on the Unit NO DOPE OR
                      NO GUARANTEE! Stupid G. C.S, TYPICAL!!

Comment

Working...
                      X