moving plumbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving plumbing

Plumbing Experts: I would appreciate your advice on some rough cost estimates on the following

1). move plumbing -- we have a Cape style Levitt house built on a concrete slab; we wish to relocate a ground floor bathroom about 13 feet from the original plumbing wall; this will require digging through the concrete slab to do this; I respect that this is a lot of work; can anyone ball park this for me

In addition, I am interested in getting an estimate per bathroom to

2). plumb for sink, toilet and bathtub or shower for upstairs bathrooms

Thank you very much.

Dirk
    Last edited by dirkgently_us; 07-05-2009, 11:30 AM. Reason: more accuracy

Re: moving plumbing

I'm an electrician not a plumber, but even I can tell you that you need to get a licensed plumber to come have a look see. You would need to give a lot more information for somebody in this forum to hazard a guess. Are your bathrooms going to line up one over each other from floor to floor? Exactly how many bathrooms do you have? Your post indicates more than one upstairs plus the one to be relocated on the ground floor.
    You're looking to spend over $10,000 on renovations and maybe a lot more. The $250-$500 you spend showing a plumber around and giving him an idea of what you're after will be money well spent. Get three estimates after the scope of work has been determined.

Comment

Originally posted by dirkgently_us View Post
      do this; I respect that this is a lot of work; can anyone ball park this for me

Dirk
      $5k plus, and make sure they are LICENSED!!!

BTW: I grew up in a Levitt home on Long Island, Sugarbush lane , Coram NY ;-)

Comment

You are correct in stating that there is not enough info in my post. I was hoping that it was enough for a rough quote.

For what it is worth, I will use a professional to do this work. We have drawn up preliminary plans for the re-model and I can tell you the two BA upstairs do not line up perfectly with the planned relocated BA downstairs.

If I could just focus on one item -- the 13 foot dig through the concrete slab...is it industry practice to charge per linear ft for the digging. Is it reasonable to have construction workers do the dig and then bring the professional plumber to refine it from there? I respect the skills and knowledge of a professional plumber and I want to leverage them where appropriate.

Thank you, Dirk

Comment

sometimes a builder will hire a cutting and coring company to come remove the necessary concrete, so you're only paying the plumber for actual plumbing, rather than his hourly rate to do it. just get the plumber in there for an hour or two beforehand to mark what concrete needs to be removed.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Thanks Plumbingskool: I realize a lot more info is needed here. A friend ofmine indicated he thought a plumber would charge roughly $300 per BA fixture or about $1000 per BA for sink/toilet/tub. So, for three BA (two up one down) that would be about $3,000. ON top of that, I assumed there would be a charge to piping etc required because the upstairs BA are not lined up over the downstairs BA. Lastly, my friend told me that there would be a hefty cost involved to re-locate the downstairs BA 13 feet away (the drilling through the contrete slab) but he did not know what that was. Do you have a sense of that...roughly?

Comment

Thx, MoJourneyman! Glad to hear that approach is possible and acceptable. I will look into that. Dirk

Comment

Cast or plastic waste.
                A non complicated job I'm comfortable with $900 per plastic/copper second floor fixture through setting trim.This is priced for the easiest of scenarios where others provide my requested access areas to plumbing.

Comment

I understood from other posts that levitown house's has their water
                  run though the slab as well as a hydronic water system so that
                  digging though the concrete may ? Be a lot harder then you think ?
                  JERRYMAC
                  E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                  CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                  FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                  SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                    I understood from other posts that levitown house's has their water
                    run though the slab as well as a hydronic water system so that
                    digging though the concrete may ? Be a lot harder then you think ?
                    Its true, I used to do levitt repairs all the time ( Lived on Long Island for 32 years )

Generally all the forced hot water heat is smack in that Cment.

Not so easy ....

Before I was a plumber, I can remember being a child when the plumber came into my mom's house to rip up the basement to fix the same issues that years later I would fix ;-) for others.

Comment

why is that? why do they run it through the slab! hey buddy i just read some of these post and i would try to get the plumber to bust up the slab if he knows whats in it! and most plumbers can run small machines to excavate or trench.

Comment

About Levittown

http://tigger.uic.edu/~pbhales/Levittown/

There was one in NJ too (Willingboro, near Philly & Camden)
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

intresting thanks for sharing

Comment

gsx. do you have a boiler or a furnace? i know they come with radiant heat. hell i came barefoot. a lot have been converted when the radiant to a furnace. breid
                            Last edited by breid1903; 07-10-2009, 03:45 PM. Reason: who know wanted to say, but it wasn't that. breid

Comment

gsx. a furnace would make it much simpler. breid

Comment

Working...
                              X