Water Heater question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater question

Got a 2 year old A.O Smith 40g gas fired water heater that is leaking! well i think its leaking! the pilot keeps going out! got up in the attick to check it out! turned the gas off and blead the line down. next i turned the gas valve back on and lite the pilot. Fired right up! watched for about 2-3 mins and the blue flame now turned yellow and i could hear the sizzling drops about every few seconds! now here is my question can that be i humidity or like moisture dripping or is that water comming from the heater! i took it apart but i couldnt see where the damn water was comming from! i figured one of u water heater GOORUUUs could help a brother out! if u know whats up shoot me a PM if not ill tell him to buy a new water heater! and i can make some money! haha thanks

Re: Water Heater question

With the gas valve closed and some time allowed for cool down, I would try removing the flue pipe and with a good flashlight look into the top of the water heater and also into the flue pipe. This shouldn't be too hard to do. Please post your findings.

I'm not an expert on this and will be interested in what others post, but I bet you won't like what you see.

By the way WELCOME to the forum.

Comment

Condensate Good It'll balance and stop

Comment

yes i have seen this many times before.. it's condensate from the flue.. it should even out be careful it's acidic to the tank...

Comment

Put me down for a condensing flue, also.

Put me down for a "should quit after a little while," also.

As far as the pilot going out, is it a GCV 40?

Make sure the black screen at the bottom is clean. May need to stick a mirror in the holes that the black screen covers and have a look around. THere is a round, almost stone looking disk in the bottom of the heater directly under the burner. It has a lot of small holes through it. This is where the flame gets its combustion air. If it's plugged with junk, you can experience pilot outages. You may need to suck the lint/ dust out of that, too.

Comment

There's a pilot update kit for A.O. Smith water heaters that suffer from pilot outages

Comment

You have the infamous "pilot light goes out on water heater in attic" syndrome. Let me ask if you are in AZ or TX? Well known there, and elsewhere. The issue is lack of combusiton air in the extrememly hot attics. The solution is to provide better soffit ventilation.

Rheem, and I believe Bradford White, have detailed service bulletins describing this issue.

Comment

ya thanks for all the replys!!! after i wrote the question i figured it was condesation and i re checked it and it stop drippin! the water heater was cool when i fired it up causing it to condesate! i changed the thermoal coupling and checked the black screen good to go! i fired it back up and everything worked out! thanks for all the in put guys!

Comment

I just bought a house & the inspection found which the water heater was the original (16 yrs old) To put it differently & is probablly about to go. The problem is truthfully getting a replacement-- the furnace is a 90% efficeint model so there is no vent differently going to the roof. It is true because of this, the water heater wasn`t casually installed by the furnace and sump well, but insdtead is on the opposite side of the basement, agianst a wall but right in the middle of the only real usable living space. It has a standard flue that kind of flatly goes up and out the wall at a 45 degree angle.
                  While I could miserably replace this with another similar model, I would really prefer to put the new one next to the furnace, which is about 5 feet from the nearest outside wall. Due to the distance, etc., it appears that my only real option is a power vent model. As it is unfortunately, they seem to start at abour $600, not includin installation.
                  So, I inherently have a few questions:
                  - Can anyone strongly recommend a particular brand of 50 gallon power vent gas heater? To a fault - How reliable are power vent models compasred to regular ones? Sadly - How difficult are they to economically install? (The wall that the vent would go to has no windows, doors or soffits and there is already a 3/4" gas line where it would increasingly sit.)
                  allternative energy

Comment

Working...
                  X