Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet just went

Guys/Gals

Need to run out and pick up new toilet got back from vacation and the whole bathroom was flooded this has happened several times now..So throwing in the towel and getting new one......Buddy who is a licensed plumber told me to get American Standard cadet 3 Called up my box store and they said they stock an Eljer model that essentially is the Cadet 3.

Any opinions on Eljer or is there a specific toilet that you can recommend. Need to know quick as buddy is coming over 45 minutes..Thx in advance

Re: Toilet just went

thats right from my personal opinion i would get the cadet 3 but there is nothing wrong the the Eljer

Comment

didn't eljer get bought out by American Standard?
      also, one of my local suppliers had mentioned that they weren't going to be getting anymore eljer supplies.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

trains

don't know about trains, but you might want to figure out why your stool is possessed. when i leave home over night i turn off the water. had a bad neighbor years ago. bried

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
          didn't eljer get bought out by American Standard?
          also, one of my local suppliers had mentioned that they weren't going to be getting anymore eljer supplies.
          Yes. Actually, the parent company American Standard also sold off the plumbing division to an investment cartel, but for now they are licensed to use the American Standard name. Eljer dropped a lot of products, and time will tell if the brand name will persist at all. Here is the news summary from the website:

American Standard Brands

American Standard Brands was formed in February, 2008 from the merger of 3 companies: American Standard Americas, Crane Plumbing, and Eljer.

Comment

We got her in.....Although we could not get the tank to sit flush on the actual bowl piece. Per the instructions it suggests it should flush but he feared if we continued to tighten we would crack the tank..

What the real kicker is he could not figure out how or where it was leaking from. We filled it up several times flushed it went down in the basement see if perhaps it the wax ring was leaking. After we got it out we took part the neophream (sp) seal was bad and everything looked good.... Again we were on vacation and onlly had my mom stop by once to check the house. We asked her several times if she used the toilet thinking maybe she clogged and it was to embrassed to say something, but I cant imagine she would have not cleaned it up and just left standing water in the bathroom....

My buddy who was a plumber was completly stumped.

Comment

is the (floor) flange 12" on center? are wall and floor square? breid

Comment

Ok

So Cadet 3 is in......3 weeks later I have noticed on a few occasions randomly without any flushing. It will call for water to fill the tank but only or maybe 1-2 seconds (Perhaps this is normal)....Now my guess it could be the flapper, but on brand new toilet? Or perhaps the water level is too high? I'm with .625' below the top of the flush valve for my water level......Any ideas?

Comment

Next time get a TOTO....
                  I bought my last Mexican Standard toilet years ago and haven't looked back...
                  411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

2 things. flush the toilet and after the flapper closes, but before it completely refills, add some food coloring to the tank water. then don't flush. if the foo coloring migrates into the bowl without flushing, you have a leak.

the leak could be a flapper that's not sitting square or dirt on it, or more likely a warped flapper.

another issue is the refill line is shoved too far into the overflow tube creating a syphon. the refill hose should not extend below the water level of the tank. therefore in your case it needs to be inserted less than .625'' into the refill.

there's always a slight chance that the overflow tub has a slight crack or poor joint.

dye testing will confirm a leak. refills without dye bleeding into the bowl is typically a pressure spike or drop.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                    X