X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other practical uses for a Thermal Expansion Tank

I ran across this video when researching expansion tanks. Too good not to share.

In the spirit of serious plumbing, I would have used a gate valve instead of the ball valve to throttle the flow.

http://www.shutup-n-ride.com/Drain-B...6/mov01048.mpg

Re: other practical uses for a Thermal Expansion Tank

A gate valve isn't designed for throttling.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

you would want a globe valve sir...

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
        you would want a globe valve sir...
        Ah, thanks ... good to learn the right answer for this application.

Comment

globe valves are only legal for a single fixture use. not anything serving more than 1 fixture.

a ball valve is the correct valve for throttling. a ball valve is also full port if you buy the proper ball valves and a globe valve is not.

throttling with a globe valve can be a problem as in the case of angle stops. the washer is typically not screwed in and will either come off or vibrate if not opened wide enough.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Throttling for a ball valve, though it can and is done, really isn't the best valve for that application. Throttling wears down the balls.(that's what she said)
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Ball valves should never be used for throttling. The change in direction of the laminar flow through the valve wears out not only the ball but the valve body also. In practical applications there is usually no need to "gang" throttle a bunch of fixtures or a properly sized branch line.
              sigpic

Comment

I use a tank like that for a homade enema kit.

Sorry, no video.

Comment

I have seen smelt fishers use a tank like that to launch the weight for their net.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    Ball valves should never be used for throttling. The change in direction of the laminar flow through the valve wears out not only the ball but the valve body also. In practical applications there is usually no need to "gang" throttle a bunch of fixtures or a properly sized branch line.
                    please explain why a balancing valve is a ball valve?

on hot water return lines we have ball valves with a locking handle that you dial in and tighten to the level of flow you set.

if not a ball valve, what valve is preferred for throttling?

sure above 4'' we can use butterfly valves, but those tend to be wide open and always have a butterfly in the path of flow.

os&y valves and nrs valves should never be throttled.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

OK when I build a "Tommy Gun" version of this should I build a hydrostatic pump into the gun or just use street pressure?

Comment

who knows. but this i've done. i don't use propane in my "tatter" gun. i use acetylene. i'd tell you to be careful, but if you were you wouldn't do this. have fun. breid

Comment

tommy gun. take the ball valve cut the stop off. attach a small wheel to it. just spin wheel. breid

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                            You beat Me to that summation, Sir , It was on the YIP OF MY YOUNG
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

The only true throttling valve is a needle valve. All other ones are not "Listed" to do "Throttling" or control flow, There are balancing valves that use a "Ball" type valve to balance the systems flow. Also "Flow" control valves are used in shower installations that are globe. Butterfly valves won't shut off after a short run of controlling flow or throttling as it wears off the sealing edges of the butterfly and valve body.

Comment

Working...
                              X