Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When is a Gate Valve a better choice?

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    no, i always sand any grit, paint , solder if it's a old connection.

new pipe is nothing more than an inner/ outer reamer.

rick.
    Rick is aged patina considered negative towards the joint?

Common sense makes me think it should be sanded.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

i try to always make the copper look like it's as clean as new. as long as it's smooth, there's no problem. if it's rough or pitted i would use caution and sand it clean.

when i first started with propress i was concerned and worried about the pipe and joint. now with lots of joints/ presses, i know what to be concerned over.

use caution when pressing over older internally pitted pipe, like a return line. the wall is already compromised.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
        Can you propress over paint ?
        It looks like they left the paint on the copper.

Hahahaaaaa!!!

Love the avatar dude!!!

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i try to always make the copper look like it's as clean as new. as long as it's smooth, there's no problem. if it's rough or pitted i would use caution and sand it clean.

when i first started with propress i was concerned and worried about the pipe and joint. now with lots of joints/ presses, i know what to be concerned over.

use caution when pressing over older internally pitted pipe, like a return line. the wall is already compromised.

rick.
          Just wait 'til they start pressing gas. Oh yeah, it's coming.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Just wait 'til they start pressing gas. Oh yeah, it's coming.

J.C.
            they have had the yellow dot fittings for years.

i doubt that i will use it as i have all the csst gastight i can handle. plus more pipe threaders than i can count on 2 hands

but then again i need 2 hands to count my propress machines now

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

they have had the yellow dot fittings for years.

i doubt that i will use it as i have all the csst gastight i can handle. plus more pipe threaders than i can count on 2 hands

but then again i need 2 hands to count my propress machines now

rick.
              Yes, I'm aware. But things as you know are slow to change. I think you're going to see everything in gas go press in the not too distant future.

Provided there is comparable insurance fail % in relation to black iron and CSST.

J.C.

Comment

I prefer a ball valve vs. a gate valve. Why?
                1. A ball valve is easier to operate.
                2. A ball valve seems to last longer and worl better.
                3. Here a 3/4 Nibco ball valve cost half what a bronze gate valve does.
                4. The only times I use a gate valve is when I don't have room for the handle and on 1 1/2" and larger water lines.

Comment

Originally posted by plumbertim1975 View Post
                  I prefer a ball valve vs. a gate valve. Why?
                  1. A ball valve is easier to operate.
                  2. A ball valve seems to last longer and work better.
                  3. Here a 3/4 Nibco ball valve cost half what a bronze gate valve does.
                  4. The only times I use a gate valve is when I don't have room for the handle and on 1 1/2" and larger water lines.
                  Thanks, and you mentioned a brand name which is the next decision after the type of valve to use. Is there a short list of top brands? I've seen the most references to Nibco, Watts, and Apollo. I've also seen advice to only purchase valves made in the USA, and to avoid big box retail stores and only buy from plumbing supply shops. Any truth to this? Or do most pros just buy what their local supply house has in stock without regard for brand preference?

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    gear. are you talking about the cavity in the ball part? if you have water behind the valve won't the valve freeze any way? if no water in pipe just open the valve and drain it. what am i missing here? breid
                    There's just something about that little enclosed space in a turned off ball valve that makes it susceptible to splitting. I think it is the cheap, thin walls of the Chinese ball valves. Here in the Mid-south every irrigation system must have an r.p.device and it must be in an insulated doghouse. If the main underground cutoff in front of the water meter is not holding anymore the #1 ball valve on the r.p. must remain off and it will split, insulation or not. The cheap pvc pipe won't burst but that ball valve will.
                    Of course, it only leaks for a second when you are turning the valve on or off. You learn pretty quick not to stand next to the valve when doing so.
                    "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Better not let Mrs. Seat Down see that avatar Mr. Easy
                      Last edited by SlimTim; 07-14-2009, 11:53 PM.
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                        Thanks, and you mentioned a brand name which is the next decision after the type of valve to use. Is there a short list of top brands? I've seen the most references to Nibco, Watts, and Apollo. I've also seen advice to only purchase valves made in the USA, and to avoid big box retail stores and only buy from plumbing supply shops. Any truth to this? Or do most pros just buy what their local supply house has in stock without regard for brand preference?
                        You pretty much have to go with what the supply house has or special order the brand you want. Nibco, Mueler, and Watts are the only three I can think of at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by SlimTim View Post
                          Better not let Mrs. Seat Down see that avatar Mr. Easy
                          And I thought he was just poking fun at someone else's handy work!
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Hahahaaaaa!!!

Love the avatar dude!!!
                            Mr. Dunbar! I recognize your name as the creator of that famous YouTube video showing the stagnant water in a failed expansion tank. Your video convinced me to mount my expansion tank vertically with the water connector at the bottom, so gravity is always pulling the water down as shown in attached diagrams (illustrations for the benefit of other homeowners who might read this post). If the bladder ever fails, I'm hoping this configuration will allow the water to drain out or at least continue to refresh rather than have the tank collect water and sediment like a reservoir.

Just wanted to let you know I appreciate your filmwork. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a million. For anyone who has not seen the video, just go to YouTube and search for Dunbar Expansion Tank.

p.s. I haven't actually installed it yet, so if you see any faults in my logic please let me know.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 07-16-2009, 01:32 AM. Reason: Added p.s. and fixed typos

Comment

That'd be me! Your first image is the one that pertains to your system, meaning you match static line pressure to the precharge of that tank. 60psi is what I recommend for setting a PRV.

The diagram you drew is good to go, no problems.

Thanks for the shout out. I'm trying to bring an awareness to the potential dangers found in plumbing systems.

I think it's a contribution to the profession that gives the property owner the ability to protect themselves from harmful situations that can prove not only costly, but detrimental to health as well.

I have more videos coming
                              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 07-15-2009, 12:58 AM.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                                i prefer red and white full port ball valves but also like nibco valves.... dont touch that cheap *** chinese crap at the big box or hardware stores...

Comment

Working...
                                X