Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When is a Gate Valve a better choice?

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
    So we should charge less because we can do the work better and faster than a rookie. This must be the only field in which someone with less experience and fewer tools can make more money than an old pro.
    I'm in IT software development and I see old pros lose their jobs every year to twenty-something's in India and other foreign countries. In plumbing and the other "hands-on" trades, your job cannot be moved offshore and you enjoy as much job security as most of us could ever hope for. You'll always have homeowners like me who know our limitations calling you.

My earlier question about book rates was asking if these rates are keeping up with new technologies like propress. This is not about experience or talent as it applies to traditional methods, it's about new innovative solutions that result in efficiencies which benefit the customer. If labor costs go down, then I benefit. And while you may make less on a particular job, in theory, you will have more time available for additional jobs and potentially more revenue overall. So everyone benefits. If propress is cost-neutral because the expense of the tools and fittings offset any labor savings, then maybe the benefit comes in the form of improved reliability. Any propress experts are welcome to jump in.
    Last edited by AverageHomeowner; 07-15-2009, 03:14 AM. Reason: fixed minor typos (its late)

Comment

tools

homey. i'm 64 1/2 years old. tools let me work longer. not only today but later in life. all the tools that i buy now are to make my job easier. a side benefit is that they speed up the job or even let me to take it. just sayin. breid

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
        I'm in IT software development and I see old pros lose their jobs every year to twenty-something's in India and other foreign countries. In plumbing and the other "hands-on" trades, your job cannot be moved offshore and you enjoy as much job security as most of us could ever hope for. You'll always have homeowners like me who know our limitations calling you.

My earlier question about book rates was asking if these rates are keeping up with new technologies like propress. This is not about experience or talent as it applies to traditional methods, it's about new innovative solutions that result in efficiencies which benefit the customer. If labor costs go down, then I benefit. And while you may make less on a particular job, in theory, you will have more time available for additional jobs and potentially more revenue overall. So everyone benefits. If propress is cost-neutral because the expense of the tools and fittings offset any labor savings, then maybe the benefit comes in the form of improved reliability. Any propress experts are welcome to jump in.
        propress allows me to do jobs that others can't competitivly compete against.

a few weeks ago i did a 3'' propress water main backflow protector. in this city we can't shut the water meter ourselves. we have to call the city to do it. we can't touch the meter flange bolts.

meter didn't shut all the way and continued dripping. with propress i was able to continue working and make all my connections.

the city backflow inspector was so impressed that not only did he compliment my work, he also brought another inspector there the next day to show him what a proper job looks like

sure traditional solder would have been the way years ago. but with propress i was able to get it done and never have to fight the continual water flow.

today i have a job requiring pipe freezing a 3/4'' line off a 3'' main. last thing i want to do is solder a valve onto a frozen pipe.

so all these specialty tools allow me to do jobs, that others just can't compete with.

if not for the pipe freezer, the 5 story building would have to be shut off and drained. a very time consuming and expensive process.

this is for another contractor that couldn't shut the valve off and wanted to shut the building.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post

I wouldn't call myself a press expert by any means, But I did want to add the flip side of the debate. If your plumber chose to use traditional means for joining the pipe such as solder, and it took him longer for reasons which Rick outlined above then opposite of the same argument would apply if he charged more. The press fittings and equip. are extremely expensive as opposed to traditional fittings. However, chances of a leak due to water in the lines are far far less, hence the cost or time is probably sort of a wash.

As for valves I am a fan of Nibco valves. As for the great gate vs. ball valve debate, I use ball valves when ever possible. I feel all valves must be turned once or twice a year to insure reliability in the long run.
          Last edited by Proud Plumber; 07-15-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Another negative with the gate valves is that over a long period of time(15 plus years), the bottom of the gate will actually erode slightly from the water passing by it in the open position. This will prevent you from shutting off 100% when you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              One big disadvantage for ball valves is when they used in cold climates for shutting off water for long periods of time. Since water is trapped in the ball in the closed mode, the valve will break if subject to freezing temp.
              Same thing with quarter turn hose bibbs. A couple of years ago we had a good freeze here (rare) and hundreds of them split!

Comment

Working...
              X