X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a Gate Valve a better choice?

For my condo unit, I had my shutoff valve, a gate valve, replaced by a new ball valve at the same time my defective PRV was replaced. See photo showing my new connection (first from left, as you will surely guess) alongside my neighbor's. The plumber said that ball valves are more reliable than gate valves, especially after long periods of non-use.

If this is a general trend from gate to ball, is there any application in residential plumbing where a gate valve is superior to a ball valve?
    Attached Files

Re: When is a Gate Valve a better choice?

Dont know about the trends over your way but i would always use ball over gate. More flow ( full bore ) and reliable.
    Down size is they are usually a lot more expensive.
    You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
      Dont know about the trends over your way but i would always use ball over gate. More flow ( full bore ) and reliable.

More reliable, yes. More flow, not necessarily. Most gat valves are full port valves while many ball valves are not.
      sigpic

Comment

ball valves can and do seize up too. they need to be exercised too to keep them moving.

i love the propress installation. that valve / viega brand, also comes in a metal handle design.

full port ball valves are the standard as reduced ports are not legal here for more than 1 fixture.

biggest danger with a ball valve is that you have to use caution while opening and closing as you can create a surge/ water hammer if you go too fast.

open slow to fill line and close slow to prevent the water hammer shock.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ozplumb View Post
          Thanks - I just compared some prices on a plumbing supply web store. Ball valves are only a few dollars more than gate valves, at least here in the US. Given the hassle and cost of replacing a bad valve, it seems that the small cost savings with a gate valve is a false economy given its higher failure rate. So the unanimous consensus favors the ball valve, at least for typical residential usage.

Comment

One big disadvantage for ball valves is when they used in cold climates for shutting off water for long periods of time. Since water is trapped in the ball in the closed mode, the valve will break if subject to freezing temp.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Gate valves don't require as much space for turning the handle. So in meter boxes or spaces that don't have room for handle swing gate valves work better

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

i love the propress installation. that valve / viega brand, also comes in a metal handle design.

rick.

Can you propress over paint ?
                It looks like they left the paint on the copper.

Comment

gear. are you talking about the cavity in the ball part? if you have water behind the valve won't the valve freeze any way? if no water in pipe just open the valve and drain it. what am i missing here? breid

Comment

easy. on ball valves i just cut some of the handle off. i don't if this a code problem. i'll bet i find out. breid

Comment

I saw the plumber using propress to do this job and I remember thinking "that sure was fast".

On reflection, I think I was charged based on the book rate for the standard tasks involved to replace the PRV and shutoff valve. I bet the time estimate was based on the more time-consuming and traditional sweating approach, not propress. I wonder if there is a new set of books with lower rates that account for less time needed with propress. I doubt it .... hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
                        I saw the plumber using propress to do this job and I remember thinking "that sure was fast".

On reflection, I think I was charged based on the book rate for the standard tasks involved to replace the PRV and shutoff valve. I bet the time estimate was based on the more time-consuming and traditional sweating approach, not propress. I wonder if there is a new set of books with lower rates that account for less time needed with propress. I doubt it .... hmmm.
                        The tool and fittings are both very expensive.

Comment

So we should charge less because we can do the work better and faster than a rookie. This must be the only field in which someone with less experience and fewer tools can make more money than an old pro.
                          ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            Can you propress over paint ?
                            It looks like they left the paint on the copper.
                            no, i always sand any grit, paint , solder if it's a old connection.

new pipe is nothing more than an inner/ outer reamer.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by mtnman1100 View Post
                              So we should charge less because we can do the work better and faster than a rookie. This must be the only field in which someone with less experience and fewer tools can make more money than an old pro.
                              As a homeowner who has done a lot of my own repairs, when I do need a professional, I just want the job done right. I don't care if it takes him five hours or one, just give me a price and do it right. I think this is where most homeowners get messed up, they think the longer it takes the harder you are working or the more you will get done, but as you say experience and equipment can get you done faster. Ten years back we had a plumber and helper do some work for us in order to pass inspection by the town. He quoted four hours to do the job and gave us a price. When he finished in two and a half my wife felt he overcharged. I told her pay the man and say thankyou because the work was done as promised, big deal he finished faster than expected. How would we have benifitted by him working slower? Unfortunately the way my wife reacted is probably more common and it made me mad I can imagine how upsetting it must be when you are the guy doing the job. Working for the public, no thanks! I'd be in jail.

Comment

Working...
                              X