X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Reaming

This is the tool I use to ream thin wall EMT (conduit). What tool do you plumbers favor to ream copper pipe?

Re: Pipe Reaming

A Plumber could probably use the search function.
    For an Electrician I will do it for you.

Search " Pipe Reaming "

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=pipe+reaming

Comment

reamer

i'm also a master sparky. klein make several versions. if i saw copper they work. if i use a tubing cuter, they don't work. i tried it on a piece of thin wall that i had cut with a tubing cutter, didn't work there either. also if you buy one of these get the one that comes with a handle only. if you put it on an old driver, cut the end off. you can't ream stubs with the whole driver. if you work with thin wall, these are a must. breid

Comment

Yours is more of a deburring device and would probably be a pain to use repeatedly on emt that has been displaced by a tubing cutters on a regular basis.Also they would become dull fairly quick.

Our reamers remove copper from the inside diameter.Copper is soft.This tool would also become dull on emt before you even had a chance to get into it.

If your bending a lot of pipe I would suggest a sawzall and step drill although few are doing this size production these days.

Comment

most of the time I use an old pocket knife.

Comment

I use either a unibit or a funny bent blade made for deburring. It's made by brasscraft and sold at HD for about 5.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

a unibit
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I either use the built in reamer on the tubing cutter or the little pencil reamer

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                  A Plumber could probably use the search function.
                  For an Electrician I will do it for you.

Search " Pipe Reaming "

www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24316&highlight=pipe+reaming
                  Aw, come on, I know what I use, I was just trying to generate responses and get a feel for what plumbers like best. Heck, you can use my tool to ream copper up to 1 inch. It's all good.

Comment

Who Reams ?

Only Kidding !

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                      Aw, come on, I know what I use, I was just trying to generate responses and get a feel for what plumbers like best. Heck, you can use my tool to ream copper up to 1 inch. It's all good.
                      Your absolutely correct,it is all good.

For new construction when I'm running production copper for days on end I will use a Titanium coated step drill(steel squeels).

Occasional copper projects I use the thin pencil type.Most importantly,do yourself a favor and have sharp blades on hand.I have no idea how 8 out of 10 plumbers figure muscling through a dull blade is somehow productive(I think they are just going through the motions).

Comment

I have never heard about the step drill, I will have to try it if I ever get a big enough job. Most of the copper I do now is 1.5" or bigger. I usually cut it with a band saw, and hit it with a half round file.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                          I have never heard about the step drill, I will have to try it if I ever get a big enough job. Most of the copper I do now is 1.5" or bigger. I usually cut it with a band saw, and hit it with a half round file.
                          Bogart,
                          I'm sorry,I should have been more descriptive.The step drill is for projects consisting of pipe sizes smaller than 1-1/4.
                          I've tried to roll a spinning step drill around the inside diameter of larger pipe,no good,just hops and irregularly gouges.

Comment

I like the step drill idea. I wish I had started this thread about a month ago,.......before I ran about 1,500 feet of EMT at a prison here in CT.

Comment

Adam,
                              I understood, I meant big job size wise, not pipe size. Thanks for reading my post and responding, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X