Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to properly seal gas and water lines/pipes

Hi all,

we bought a house where the bbq area has gas and water to it. the city says they are not permitted, and its best to cap/seal them off to pass inspection first, THEN re-submit for utilities permit if we wanted to re-connect them.

I wanted to find out where we have to cut off.
    for example, we have gas and water pipes coming out of the corner-roof of the house and runs straight down(exposed) the corner of the house and into the ground...where it eventually comes up where the bbq is.
    If I was to seal at the point where it exits by the roof, do I cut so its exposing just a bit, or actually have to cut inside the ceiling and hide it sealed?
    Same question goes for where it enter the ground, do we leave just enough exposed for the cap to be visible? or do we dig a hole, seal it, and cement over the cap completely?

These will be inspected by the city, so I want to get the cutting right the first time.

here is a link to the pics of the gas and water:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/funcxion...eat=directlink

Thanks for you help in advanced,

Re: how to properly seal gas and water lines/pipes

good post with story and pictures

you can easily import the photos directly to this thread by going to the bottom of your post and click "manage attachments"

so i would cap them off in the attic and clean up the mess.

chances are it looks like the underground piping is not proper either. you will probably have to replace the underground with approved piping that's got a factory applied coating like the green fletcher coating or the older yellow plastic coated pipe. it also has to be 12'' deep for steel and 18'' for plastic hdpe pipe.

looks like a slab house and trying to clean up the exterior piping will be a challenge. can you run it underground from the outside gas meter?

good post, move your photos here for others to see and comment

welcome and enjoy.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I feel the need to say that if what you need to do is not intuitive, don't do it. Gas explosions kill.

Comment

thanks so much for the fast! replies...love the forum already.

There is no gas service to the house at this time, so pretty sure no explosions will occur. But I will take very good precautions when doing it.
        As for the roof one, i think its a good idea to hide it clean like you said, in the attic.

As for the ground one, I dont plan to use it, dont plan to have one out to the bbq anymore, just want to seal them and be done with. So for this, where would I cut and cap? inches off the ground? or below ground?
        We temporarely capped off the water in the ground as you can see, about 5-6 inches above, will that do for the water one, or does it need to be shorter?

thanks
        Attached Files

Comment

the simplest way and still remain clean would to be to unscrew the line up to the eave and cap the line or plug the 90.

as far as the water and gas underground. since it's dead, i would cut it flush to the concrete or unscrew the riser from the ground. try to clean it up and look good.

there's always propane tanks for your bbq.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Around here, if the city ruled that you cannot have gas or water service to an area, they would insist that the pipes be pulled or otherwise made permanently unusable. Prudence would dictate capping close to the house, rather than having any unused pipe with service in it. Especially the water, dead end runs are potential bacteria havens and are frowned upon.

I once did some work for a woman who had bootlegged several apartments into an old spanish colonial mansion. The city finally caught up. And when we had to remove some of the unpermitted toilets, they wanted to see concrete poured into the flange for at least a couple of feet, to make sure she never used them again.

Comment

Why arn't You asking these questions to the building Dept.? There the ones that count
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

You should call the gas company and have them take care of it. Unlicensed people should not be screwing with gas piping.
                sigpic

Comment

Where I live its absolutely mandatory to hire a guy with a gas fitters ticket to do any type of work on any natural gas/ LPG system. Same with oil burner. We even have a gas B (500 000 BTU or less) and gas A (greater than 500 000 BTU) ticket here in Alberta that can be obtained with the plumbing/heating trades. In other words you should hire a guy who really knows what he is doing. Gas fitting is not a do-it-yourself task, it is a professional trade for a reason and most do-it yourself gas projects turn out disastrous.

Comment

Originally posted by funcxion View Post
                    there is no gas service to the house at this time, so pretty sure no explosions will occur. But i will take very good precautions when doing it.
                    i still wouldnt risk it just have your local plumber man handle it..
                    Last edited by plumbworker; 07-20-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      You should call the gas company and have them take care of it. Unlicensed people should not be screwing with gas piping.
                      Agree 100%

Comment

Working...
                      X