Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nasty Smell in Sink...HELP!

Originally posted by cbj10206 View Post
    Are you talking about the strainer thing?

I have seen those in the store before and actually went as far as to put it in my basket, but then decided the scent would not be strong enough to mask the existing stank, so I put it back!

Of course, I would rather have the odor eliminated all together, but I will take what I can get if it really helps!
    No it is a liquid... I use "ZEP Organic Citrus Drain and Disposer
    Cleaner".I got it at home depot. Just pour it in at bed time. Rinse it out in the morning.

Had some nasty shrimp scent in my drain I used it and poof.
    Last edited by EasyEman; 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

do what some of my customers do, call me. breid

Comment

Originally posted by 420paul View Post
        Your sink doesn't smell so bad, please stop nagging your husband, he has better things to do in his spare time.

I've had this kind of smell complaint before. Most of the time I cant tell what they are talking about. So I offer to clean the line with no warranty so I dont end up with a return call for a smell that I couldnt smell in the first place.

I would assume the piping is properly installed if your husband is a licensed plumber. A partial blockage may be causing the problem though and a cleaning may be just what is needed. I would try treating with enzymes first.

Lenny

Pronounced A-Bear Drain Care

I know, it doesn't make sense.

http://www.hebertdraincare.com

Comment

OK try this, get all of your ice cubes out of the freezer and dump them into the disposal side of your sink. (That means a lot) Turn on the cold water so that a little more than a dribble is coming out of the spout. Now turn on your disposal and start feeding the cubes into the grind chamber as fast as you can. You may have to increase or decrease the flow of water a little bit but what you are trying to achieve is an ice slushy. You will notice that what looks like a chocolate shake is coming back out of the disposal. Keep shoving the cubes into the grind chamber even though your fingers are frozen and by all means do not put your fingers into the disposal or use a utensil to assist you. After you feel that things are looking better (and you will notice it) run some hot water to help melt the ice. If you had an issue with one of your waste pipes under the sink it may start to drip at this time so we'll see how handy you really are. If your disposal can't handle the ice cubes then that is an indication that you are soon to be in need of a new disposal. Good luck and keep us updated.

Comment

Coincidence. Someone was just yesterday telling me of the same problem which they fixed by putting a mixture of vinegar and baking soda down the drain.

I like that better than taking the trap off. And WAY better than sniffing the sewage effluvium wafting from the wall

Comment

spot on rookie

i 've forgotten about that. i used to remodel restaurants in the 60's and 70's. the ladies used plain crushed ice and water to scour the inside of the pots . they would just swirl it for a few minutes, it worked beautifully. the ice will rub the insides of the trap, also. that was were the odor comes from. when tap water fills the drain, it pushes the air back thru the food grinder. thank you. breid

Comment

rookie, the ice works great for cleaning out a garbage disposal that has trapped dirt.

problem is she has no disposal. you forgot to read her first post

at first it sounded like she mentioned coming from the hot side only. then it went to the waste line smell

mark has hit on a dishwasher hose issue. that's definitely a source for stinky stagnant waste water.

the other spot is the waste piping from the trap up. the trap is designed to seal off all sewer gasses. assuming the trap is not siphoning out, then all that's left is the waste tubing from the trap up. it's not uncommon to find straws, chopsticks, tooth picks, and other debris lodged in the tail pieces as your strainers are not always sitting on top of the drain all the time to block it. plus you have 5 kids.

so either take apart the waste lines under the sink and remove the trapped sludge and all the above mentioned debris.

take some photos of the piping under the sink and post them. typically all you need is some channelocks #430, 10'' slip joint pliers. ask your husband for these pliers and either do it with our help, or get him to do it for you.

post before and after pictures

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

If she has one of those accordian type tailpieces; those things can stink up the place.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    rookie, the ice works great for cleaning out a garbage disposal that has trapped dirt.

problem is she has no disposal. you forgot to read her first post

at first it sounded like she mentioned coming from the hot side only. then it went to the waste line smell

mark has hit on a dishwasher hose issue. that's definitely a source for stinky stagnant waste water.

the other spot is the waste piping from the trap up. the trap is designed to seal off all sewer gasses. assuming the trap is not siphoning out, then all that's left is the waste tubing from the trap up. it's not uncommon to find straws, chopsticks, tooth picks, and other debris lodged in the tail pieces as your strainers are not always sitting on top of the drain all the time to block it. plus you have 5 kids.

so either take apart the waste lines under the sink and remove the trapped sludge and all the above mentioned debris.

take some photos of the piping under the sink and post them. typically all you need is some channelocks #430, 10'' slip joint pliers. ask your husband for these pliers and either do it with our help, or get him to do it for you.

post before and after pictures

rick.
                    I just thought of something else that may be helpful in determining where the smell could be coming from. My sink is a dbl basin, but one side of it is not only much larger than the other, but the larger side is also deeper. The side that is deeper backs up on occasion when the water is ran on the otherside.

I am almost positive that there is stuff trapped in the drain or something because the drains on my sink have the biggest drain holes that I have ever seen! They are wayyyy bigger than in any other sink I have ever had!

I am definitely going to take some pictures to post!

I am bound and determined to fix this thing w/o any help from dh (dear husband)!

Comment

Originally posted by KevinCorr View Post
                      Coincidence. Someone was just yesterday telling me of the same problem which they fixed by putting a mixture of vinegar and baking soda down the drain.

I like that better than taking the trap off. And WAY better than sniffing the sewage effluvium wafting from the wall
                      I tried the baking soda and vinegar thing a couple of nights ago after finding some online tips of how to rid the smell. It did help quite a bit! However, I know it is just a matter of time before the smell returns.

Comment

No it is a liquid... I use "ZEP Organic Citrus Drain and Disposer
                        Cleaner".I got it at home depot. Just pour it in at bed time. Rinse it out in the morning.
                        Awesome!

Do they have it over in the plumbing section, or in the section with all the cleaning junk, trash bags, brooms, etc...?

Comment

I just thought of something else that may be helpful in determining where the smell could be coming from. My sink is a dbl basin, but one side of it is not only much larger than the other, but the larger side is also deeper. The side that is deeper backs up on occasion when the water is ran on the otherside.

I am almost positive that there is stuff trapped in the drain or something because the drains on my sink have the biggest drain holes that I have ever seen! They are wayyyy bigger than in any other sink I have ever had!

I am definitely going to take some pictures to post!

I am bound and determined to fix this thing w/o any help from dh (dear husband)!
                          so the truth surfaces

you have a slow drain and it needs cleaning. the line above the trap is the smell source and possible stoppage source. the line from the trap down is possibly a stoppage source too.

take photos and maybe mrs seat down/ joey can walk you through this.

guys, let the girls get it done while we watch, just like here husband is doing

joey, make me proud

joey is driving and i'll let her know to follow up

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I have attached a pic of the pipes under my sink.

Thanks for the help!
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have attached a pic of the pipes under my sink.

Thanks for the help!
                              Looks like a Drano graveyard

Comment

Does one side drain slower than the other?
                                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                                X