Nasty Smell in Sink...HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbj10206
    started a topic Nasty Smell in Sink...HELP!

Nasty Smell in Sink...HELP!

My kitchen sink has had a nasty stank smell for quite a while and my husband, whom was a plumber at one time, claims that he doesnt know what it is from or where it could be coming from. I disagree! He knows, but he just likes to pretend that he doesnt because for one thing, he says he cant smell it. For another, if he admits to being able to smell it, that would mean he would have to fix it. Anyway, all that aside, the thing that is most bothersome is that it smells especially bad when I turn the faucet on. What is up with that? Where could this smell be coming from? How can I get rid of it?

I took a course in real estate prior to receiving my license a while back and for some reason, the instructor was talking about drains. He said something about the 'u' shaped pipe under the sink and that it should have a small amount of water in it at all times, but if it doesnt, that would cause the sink to stink. It has been a few years, so I may be off a little, but it was something to that effect.

Anyway, I welcome any suggestions. By the way, I have tried a drain opener, as well as the whole baking soda and vinegar bit. They helped a little, but not enough. Oh, and I do not have a garbage disposal.

TIA

• gear junkie
    replied
    Re: Nasty Smell in Sink...HELP!

Originally posted by cbj10206 View Post
    Yes. The side that is deeper than the other drains slow and is also the one that tends to back up from time to time.
    Take apart your undersink drainline. The tee has an internal baffle that often catches food that eventuallly rots. If you shine a strong flashlight against the tee, you'll see any blockage on the opposite side.

Another thing is that you're drain is partially blocked(duh). Get someone to snake out your line.

Leave a comment:

• 420paul
    replied

Hey Now! He is NOT my honey-do boy!

I rarely ask him to do anything. In fact, I do all the daily maintenance type crap myself and even a majority of home improvement type stuff by myself. I only ask for help if it is something I dont know how to do and cant learn by simply reading instructions or something, or if it requires a certain amount of upper body strength.

Although, if the truth be known, if anyone should be entitled to a work-free weekend, or work-free evenings, it should most definitely be me! I work from the time I get up until the time I go to bed by taking care of his 5 kids while he sits in an office all day enjoying extended lunches that are paid for (a good part of the time) by his vendors. Not to mention the deep-sea fishing trips, hunting trips, and anything else trips that the vendors take him on during working hours.

I can totally see how annoying it must be to come home after a long, hard, sweat-filled day of wearing a hole in his chair from his ever expanding a$$ to a wife that relentlessy nags at him to put his clothes in the dirty hamper while she has her head stuck under the kitchen cabinet trying to figure out how to get rid of the nasty smell because God forbid that he does it and risk losing precious time from the crater sized hole that he burned on the couch!

BTW, I am totally joking! The fact that he goes to work everyday just to keep food on the table for his family and the fact that he doesnt give me crap about staying at home with the kids rather than working to help pay the bills, well, words cant express how greatful I am for that! He ROCKS!
    Got any sisters?

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

guys, give joey a chance to help her. she just called me and i told her to get on it.

joey do me right

thanks joey, i'll be home late tonight.

rick.

Leave a comment:

• cbj10206
    replied

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Does one side drain slower than the other?

Yes. The side that is deeper than the other drains slow and is also the one that tends to back up from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• gear junkie
    replied

Does one side drain slower than the other?

Leave a comment:

• plumberscrack
    replied

I have attached a pic of the pipes under my sink.

Thanks for the help!
    Looks like a Drano graveyard

Leave a comment:

• cbj10206
    replied

I have attached a pic of the pipes under my sink.

Thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

I just thought of something else that may be helpful in determining where the smell could be coming from. My sink is a dbl basin, but one side of it is not only much larger than the other, but the larger side is also deeper. The side that is deeper backs up on occasion when the water is ran on the otherside.

I am almost positive that there is stuff trapped in the drain or something because the drains on my sink have the biggest drain holes that I have ever seen! They are wayyyy bigger than in any other sink I have ever had!

I am definitely going to take some pictures to post!

I am bound and determined to fix this thing w/o any help from dh (dear husband)!
    so the truth surfaces

you have a slow drain and it needs cleaning. the line above the trap is the smell source and possible stoppage source. the line from the trap down is possibly a stoppage source too.

take photos and maybe mrs seat down/ joey can walk you through this.

guys, let the girls get it done while we watch, just like here husband is doing

joey, make me proud

joey is driving and i'll let her know to follow up

rick.

Leave a comment:

• cbj10206
    replied

No it is a liquid... I use "ZEP Organic Citrus Drain and Disposer
    Cleaner".I got it at home depot. Just pour it in at bed time. Rinse it out in the morning.
    Awesome!

Do they have it over in the plumbing section, or in the section with all the cleaning junk, trash bags, brooms, etc...?

Leave a comment:

• cbj10206
    replied

Originally posted by KevinCorr View Post
    Coincidence. Someone was just yesterday telling me of the same problem which they fixed by putting a mixture of vinegar and baking soda down the drain.

I like that better than taking the trap off. And WAY better than sniffing the sewage effluvium wafting from the wall
    I tried the baking soda and vinegar thing a couple of nights ago after finding some online tips of how to rid the smell. It did help quite a bit! However, I know it is just a matter of time before the smell returns.

Leave a comment:

• cbj10206
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    rookie, the ice works great for cleaning out a garbage disposal that has trapped dirt.

problem is she has no disposal. you forgot to read her first post

at first it sounded like she mentioned coming from the hot side only. then it went to the waste line smell

mark has hit on a dishwasher hose issue. that's definitely a source for stinky stagnant waste water.

the other spot is the waste piping from the trap up. the trap is designed to seal off all sewer gasses. assuming the trap is not siphoning out, then all that's left is the waste tubing from the trap up. it's not uncommon to find straws, chopsticks, tooth picks, and other debris lodged in the tail pieces as your strainers are not always sitting on top of the drain all the time to block it. plus you have 5 kids.

so either take apart the waste lines under the sink and remove the trapped sludge and all the above mentioned debris.

take some photos of the piping under the sink and post them. typically all you need is some channelocks #430, 10'' slip joint pliers. ask your husband for these pliers and either do it with our help, or get him to do it for you.

post before and after pictures

rick.
    I just thought of something else that may be helpful in determining where the smell could be coming from. My sink is a dbl basin, but one side of it is not only much larger than the other, but the larger side is also deeper. The side that is deeper backs up on occasion when the water is ran on the otherside.

I am almost positive that there is stuff trapped in the drain or something because the drains on my sink have the biggest drain holes that I have ever seen! They are wayyyy bigger than in any other sink I have ever had!

I am definitely going to take some pictures to post!

I am bound and determined to fix this thing w/o any help from dh (dear husband)!

Leave a comment:

• plumberscrack
    replied

If she has one of those accordian type tailpieces; those things can stink up the place.

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

rookie, the ice works great for cleaning out a garbage disposal that has trapped dirt.

problem is she has no disposal. you forgot to read her first post

at first it sounded like she mentioned coming from the hot side only. then it went to the waste line smell

mark has hit on a dishwasher hose issue. that's definitely a source for stinky stagnant waste water.

the other spot is the waste piping from the trap up. the trap is designed to seal off all sewer gasses. assuming the trap is not siphoning out, then all that's left is the waste tubing from the trap up. it's not uncommon to find straws, chopsticks, tooth picks, and other debris lodged in the tail pieces as your strainers are not always sitting on top of the drain all the time to block it. plus you have 5 kids.

so either take apart the waste lines under the sink and remove the trapped sludge and all the above mentioned debris.

take some photos of the piping under the sink and post them. typically all you need is some channelocks #430, 10'' slip joint pliers. ask your husband for these pliers and either do it with our help, or get him to do it for you.

post before and after pictures

rick.

Leave a comment:

• breid1903
    replied
    spot on rookie

i 've forgotten about that. i used to remodel restaurants in the 60's and 70's. the ladies used plain crushed ice and water to scour the inside of the pots . they would just swirl it for a few minutes, it worked beautifully. the ice will rub the insides of the trap, also. that was were the odor comes from. when tap water fills the drain, it pushes the air back thru the food grinder. thank you. breid

Leave a comment:

Working...
X