Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to talk to a plumber?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to talk to a plumber?

I've learned enough to be dangerous on this fine forum, and now I have a "homeowners preference" for certain things. I would like the plumbers I hire to install ball valves instead of gate vales, and stainless corrugated flexes instead of stainless braided flexes. I don't want to settle for whatever they normally use or have in their truck.

What's the best way for me to communicate my preferences without sounding like I'm telling a pro how to do his/her job?

Re: What's the best way to talk to a plumber?

It would be best to talk to the office in advance so the guy will have the stuff you want.

I agree, ball valves are better. Where I use a gate valve is where you don't want the valve accidentally bumped open or closed. The kids will less likely turn a gate playing around.

Comment

Buy the parts and have them ready when the plumber arrives.

If he doesnt want to install your "code approved" parts then he doesnt want to work for you.

With me, you would have to sign a damage waiver anyway, and I would write that the parts were "customer supplied"

I had a lady tell me one time that she already tried running the cable from the cleanout under the counter and it didnt work so she wanted me to work from the roof. I asked her "You want me to carry a 70 lb machine on the roof when there is a perfectly good cleanout under the counter?" She said yes. I said, ok, I'll go get my machine from the van. Got in my van and drove off.

Comment

If you have to tell a licenced plumber what fittings to use then he is not much of a plumber and has not kept up with the times I haven't used a gate valve in I'd say ten years as ball valves sh=t all over them.

Tony

Comment

very simple. just like a contract has a set of plans and specs.

write down what your specifying.

not just a ball valve, but a domestic, american made one.

you can spec out the rhino brand of corrugated water flexes for your heater. if they're not available, then see what they have that's comparable.

if it's not in writing, it's not in the contract.

you don't want to come across smarter than the plumber, but if you do, it's time for a new plumber anyways.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
            I've learned enough to be dangerous on this fine forum, and now I have a "homeowners preference" for certain things.

What's the best way for me to communicate my preferences without sounding like I'm telling a pro how to do his/her job?
            Smack em twice and scream real loud. Only way to get through a big head like Ricks!
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by AverageHomeowner View Post
              I've learned enough to be dangerous on this fine forum, and now I have a "homeowners preference" for certain things. I would like the plumbers I hire to install ball valves instead of gate vales, and stainless corrugated flexes instead of stainless braided flexes. I don't want to settle for whatever they normally use or have in their truck.

There is nonthing wrong with you suppling the materials. Just don't stand over his/her shoulder while they are doing the work. This will not go well at all

Comment

nicely. just tell me what you want before we start . if you wait till it' done it costs more. if it doesn't meet code, i tell them so. then i try make what they want work. i'm by far the most expensive plumber around. my buddy asks how do you get them to pay that? it's simple i sell them what they want. dan holahan(sp?) said once to me "never assume your customer doesn't have any more money than you". i put $500.00+(deltas were under $20.00) gold plated faucet in a ramshackle farm house once, that had a3' X 4' hole in the plaster in bath. they were thrilled. me too. none of my business. i don't let people tell me how to spend my money, why should tell them. sell them what what the want. cha-ching. if you don't want them send them to me. breid

Comment

hey bull

i actually encourage the ho to stick around. one thing i get input from them, which means more money for me. if they see you doing one thing they want, they can be like a kid in a candy store. the other reason is once the amount of tools required to do the job right, well it dissuades them from even thinking about it. breid

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    not just a ball valve, but a domestic, american made one.
                    And spec "Full Port" as well.
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

well now, from this end of the question, I have always found that for me, money communicates very well indeed. You throw enough money my direction and you can pretty much get anything you want.
                      sigpic

Comment

Don`t just say please "say pretty Please"

Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X