X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which contractor is correct?

I am looking to replace my 11 year old 40 gal tank water heater with a tankless (Yes I know there is no payback in my lifetime, but space is at a premium). Anyway I have had 4 licensed contractors come out. 2 have said I need to run a new 3/4" gas pipe to the tankless (either Rinnai 75 or Nortiz 841 199,000 BTU units. I am leaning towards the Noritz for the PVC venting). The location of the tankless would be about 10' closer to the meter The other 2 say just add a new tap off the existing gas line. My belief after reading postings here is I need a second tap off the meter, but the 4 pros are split.

The current meter and gas line is as follows. Tag on gas meter 175 CFH. (Based on Drtyhands post) I measured the black pipe diameter at 1.3" rather then what one contractor told me. So looking online the pipe is probably 1.25" not 1" black pipe off meter. 1' then 90 degrees into house straight for 32' then 90 degree turn then 31' to furnace (100,000 BTU also 11 years old) splits here to current tank water heater and continues 1/2" line from basement to 2nd floor master bedroom to a gas fireplace (40,000 BTU ?)

Also told contractors I would like to add a gas stove in a future kitchen remodel. (one contractor said he would use sharkbite connectors for the plumbing changes over to the tankless, then pex. any thoughts on the longevity of sharkbites (i have cpvc pipes).

Bottom line do I need a second gas tap off the meter, a new meter or both or is using the current one inch line sufficient to feed the furnace, new tankless and fireplace. Any help would be appreciated. ( The contractors were picked based on the tankless company websites local installers best ratings, BBB ratings etc.) I am in Denver CO. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by mjm2950; 07-22-2009, 12:14 AM. Reason: gas pipe size correction

Re: which contractor is correct?

1" service is too small...All of it.

306 C.F.H. @ 75' = 1-1/4" main to first tee.

Where is the tankless going again?
    Last edited by drtyhands; 07-21-2009, 11:27 PM.

Comment

the tankless would be about 50' from the meter. Will the 3/4 second gas line off the meter be enough? Does the gas ccompany increase the pressure or will the contractor add a second regulator? I should have asked the them. Thanks again

Comment

The gas co. will make sure your meter will handle the "Volume" necessary to handle your Cubic Feet Per Hour(BTU's) if not they should provide you with one for no extra charge,ours does.

50' on an independent supply taken from the meter is o/k.

cutting in a tee on that 1" without increasing main does not comply to our Uniform Plumbing Code sizing formula and chart.

If you want to bump your system up to a higher pressure...
        Out here we would have to inquire through the city,test system to 60#,put regulators on every device then run vents from them to outside atmosphere.
        But at least you could keep your pipe size

Four Contractors?

Comment

Run a dedicated 3/4" line after it comes in the house. Gas works on volume, so if oversized...great.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            \

Four Contractors?
            Not only did he get 4 contractors, (I hope they charged for the time they spent on the estimates), but now he wants free advice online on his gas system. I guess 4 is not enough.

I don't know about u guys, but I charge for my professional, licensed knowledge and time. That is why I ignore these threads for the most part.
            Last edited by Service Guy; 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Always go with an odd number of estimates. No ties!

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                Not only did he get 4 contractors, (I hope they charged for the time they spent on the estimates), but now he wants free advice online on his gas system. I guess 4 is not enough.

I don't know about u guys, but I charge for my professional, licensed knowledge and time. That is why I ignore these threads for the most part.
                Carl,My brother...

I got mailman doing water heaters.I got 50 adds in the newspaper selling handyman services.
                I got a pastor driving into Rick's district to put in a wall mount faucet for fifty bucks an hour(prolly take him 3.5).
                I got street corners,Home Depot,Dunn Edwards parking lots chuck full of SI-SI CONSTRUCTION Associates.

The homeowners are starting to figure it out.Short cuts are a high risk for Failure.The stuff is not standing up.Drain lines,fences,roofs,paint.It's junk and they can see in less then ten years(computer/internet) it's breaking down like a cheap Chinese toy.

They know what they want and there is enough of them to keep us busy.

Comment

I had a customer the other day, 5 plumbing companies on the note pad, in 5 columns, I remembered again why I stopped completing free estimates....
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

well that's the problem when you have 4 so called licensed contractors and 2 are wrong and 2 are right.

he's turned to this forum for help and i can't blame him. the ones to blame are the 2 contractors trying to do a half a$$ job on the install. sizing gas is not rocket science. unfortunately the 2 contractors who want to install the tankless without properly sizing the gas should not be allowed to fly a kite.

40 gallon was 34,000-40,000btu. the tankless is 199,000. pretty simple to see a 5- 6 fold increase in gas demand.

so coming here has saved him a whole lot of trouble.

what he should do is refer the 2 losers here for the same advise

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I am soo tired of hearing Ben You know Who, [ not our good Ben ] Pushing tankless on the radio. I would love to follow them around ,and bust them and the local Inspectors for passing their work with undersized Gas piping. Who has the time!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Adam is the correct contractor.

What did I win?

J.C.

Comment

you're correct, adam is right. but us that know adam, already knew that

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            you're correct, adam is right. but us that know adam, already knew that

rick.
                            Josh,
                            Another tissue please.[sniff]

Thanks Rick.

Comment

...what he should do is refer the 2 losers here for the same advise...
                              Not sure I agree with that Rick. Why are these rip off artists deserving of the free education they would receive here? Or are you turning the other cheek and trying to bring them over from the dark side.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X