X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when is this tool used?

I bought a tool box full of plumbing tools several years ago, and this wrench has been at the bottom of the box since then- it is the only tool that has not seen any action. When is this tool used? It appears to use a 1/2" drive to get into difficult locations, but how much leverage can you really get on something like this? It does make a good paperweight...
    Attached Files

Re: when is this tool used?

the leverage would depend on either how strong you and the length of the handle on the extension,

there are times that would come in really handy,

I have one that is a chain wrench that drive like that, only needed it a few times in 30 years, but it is always ready, but never seen anything like that for sale.

and I have made a extension to slip on a handle of a standard pipe wrench, to reaching to a hole or pit that would operate similar,

Guessing it is the same head as a 14" pipe wrench? Be nice to find one like it some time.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

That isn't the business end of a compound pipe wrench, is it?

I've only used one a couple of times and never had one apart.

Comment

Originally posted by lmpg View Post
        That isn't the business end of a compound pipe wrench, is it?
        at first I thought it was a cut off wrench, as the hole looks shop done by a broach, and the set screws, but it had the bulked up area, where the hole is, it does look like a compound wrench head,
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I use one about once a week. It works good when you have to work in a pit. It has a set screw to lock the 1/2 " extension to the wrench, and in 12 years i have not broke it.add extensions together to make it as long as needed.

Comment

Someones going to mention a Mcmanus wrench.
            Years ago I had that exact tool.But I wasn't doing service work so I let it go.

The 1/2" drive gets you out from under the sink cabinet where you can use a breaker bar in the standing position...For one.

Comment

Sell me the damn thing, I want it!!

I can find a million uses for that.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

seeing he's located in los angeles

i can always use a second one

ridgid stopped making them a number of years ago.

for those that want a simple fix, take a 14'' steel wrench and weld a small 1/2'' drive socket onto the cut off wrench.

typically it's only critical to use this set up to loosen a fitting. of course you could weld a socket onto the other side too and have a tightening wrench too.

trying to drill a square hole is difficult.

or you could do like my buddy steve and weld a steel pipe onto a cutoff 10'' wrench for removing nipples from inside cabinets.

pasco still makes a 3/4'' drive wrench with a large breaker bar.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

It is stamped, "Super Two." Is that its only name? Yes, it has the head of a 14" wrench and the teeth don't look like they've ever touched a pipe. Which would you guys find more useful, the "Super Two" or an offset style wrench, like in this pic?
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have one, never use it. A quality ridgid basin wrench will do what it does and is a lot less bulky. Drilling a square hole isn't so hard. Drill round first, square up corners with a file.
                    sigpic

Comment

Doesn't look beefy enough around the hole to take much torque

Comment

you use this type of tool to make a round hole into a square one, the hole is drilled and then the broach is pressed or pulled, (depending on the type of broach) through the hole, and each tooth shaves off a bit of materials when the broach is pressed through the hole you end up with "a square" hole or what ever the shape of the broach was or is,

square peg in a round hole
                        Attached Files
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Dumper, the item you have is a "Plumbers Duress Call".

You put a strong string or wire through the hole and go to an outside-clear location. Then swing it around vigorously in a circle. Other plumbers will hear it and come to your aide.

J.C.

An example of how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvNR9Xo8z3M

Comment

anyone have a spare, used, OFFSET 14" pipe wrench they would like to trade for this "thing?"

Comment

Can you hear me now??

This guy needs a little more practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kf_RYVt2XQ
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X