X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New water heater question

I installed a new Whirlpool water heater over the weekend. When I went to fire it up, it took about 100 pushes of the electric ignition. Is that normal for a new water heater?

My main question is this. When it fires up, I get a nice blue flame for about 30 seconds and then it turns bright orange. What's going on under there? My first thought is it's burning off some factory coating from the manufacturing process???

Along with the orange flame I hear a sizzling sound. When I made the water connections I had a loose one that leaked for a minute before I could tighten it. I assume the sizzling is just residule water dripping inside and burning off.

I'd appreciate any help guys. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Re: New water heater question

most likely when you reconnected the gas line, you didn't bleed off the trapped air in the line and a pilot uses very little gas. so holding down the red reset button and clicking the sparker was what it took.

just be glad you didn't need 100 matches

new heaters will produce condensation. add the extra moisture you leaked into the heater.

let it go 1 complete cycle and see the flame. i'm surprised that you can see the flame through the little 1'' glass port.

out here in so calif. we have lo-nox heaters and the flame is more like an outside patio heater. more of an infrared glow.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I have installed over 200 Whirlpool water heaters and what Rick is saying is correct. Make sure you put the mesh filter around the base of the heater it will help keep the air flowing though the burner.

Comment

I am sorry you chose a whirlpool , but that is a different story.

A newly installed water heater will almost always sizzle a bit initially. You have a COLD tank full of water. The combustion product from the burner contains a lot of moisture. The cold tank bottom causes some droplets to condense, drop back to the hot burner, and sizzle. Once the tank is heated, this does not often recur, but can if you use a sizeable amount of hot water, such that the tank gets cooled of a lot by the incoming cold water.

Comment

Whirlpool wasn't the first choice but it was the cheapest and it's a rental property so...

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Comment

HEre is a thread about the troubles with Whirlpool Water Heaters http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

sssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.... BOOOOOOOM!
              sigpic

Comment

Speaking of whirlcrap water heaters, I had a call friday, no hot water, I went out, it is a whirlpool, installed 6-8 months, in a dog grooming place, tested the thermocouple, after 45 seconds, wouldn't rise past 9mv, the thermofuse had continuity, replace the thermcouple, while I was pulling the burner cover off, the gasket broke and the screw wouldn't come out, so the head snapped off, I ordered a new gasket, a new screw, which didn't obviously work, women on the phone stated that the water heater is not under warranty because it is a residential water heater installed in a commercial application, but she would send me a gasket and a screw and a new clip, well, clip never came, so I driled out the broken screw and installed a new clip and new screw, better then new, fired water heater on, no problems.

custoemr calls today, no hot water, ok, I go over, pilot will not stay on, check thermocouple, 18 milivolts at about 45 seconds, thermocuple good, check continuity on thermofuse, none, re-set, water heater goes on, no problem.

now, when the burner cover was off the first day, I vacuumed all the debris out from inside and under the water heater, the Whirlpool does not have a cover on the front base like the home depot crap, it is just on legs and there is a combustion air vent up under to the left of the unit. all clean. well, let it burn for about 10 minutes and goes out again, I checked all the venting, no issues found..... combustion air clean.....

When I bypassed the thermofuse and let it burn for about 20 minutes I noticed the front cover of the water heater is hot as all heck. can't even touch the copper wire fromt he thermocouple its so hot.

So, I call Whirlpool again, they are now sending someone out for free to fix the thermofuse and supposedly its under warranty now.....

I am at a loss for words....
                Last edited by westcoastplumber; 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

There is a known issue with the gas control valves.
                  It seems to have settled down in the last six months or so. They do include a plastic mesh filter that wraps around the base of the water heater.
                  Sears heaters sit on the floor flat where the whirlpool has legs.

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                    Speaking of whirlcrap water heaters, I had a call friday, no hot water, I went out, it is a whirlpool, installed 6-8 months, in a dog grooming place, tested the thermocouple, after 45 seconds, wouldn't rise past 9mv, the thermofuse had continuity, replace the thermcouple, while I was pulling the burner cover off, the gasket broke and the screw wouldn't come out, so the head snapped off, I ordered a new gasket, a new screw, which didn't obviously work, women on the phone stated that the water heater is not under warranty because it is a residential water heater installed in a commercial application, but she would send me a gasket and a screw and a new clip, well, clip never came, so I driled out the broken screw and installed a new clip and new screw, better then new, fired water heater on, no problems.

custoemr calls today, no hot water, ok, I go over, pilot will not stay on, check thermocouple, 18 milivolts at about 45 seconds, thermocuple good, check continuity on thermofuse, none, re-set, water heater goes on, no problem.

now, when the burner cover was off the first day, I vacuumed all the debris out from inside and under the water heater, the Whirlpool does not have a cover on the front base like the home depot crap, it is just on legs and there is a combustion air vent up under to the left of the unit. all clean. well, let it burn for about 10 minutes and goes out again, I checked all the venting, no issues found..... combustion air clean.....

When I bypassed the thermofuse and let it burn for about 20 minutes I noticed the front cover of the water heater is hot as all heck. can't even touch the copper wire fromt he thermocouple its so hot.

So, I call Whirlpool again, they are now sending someone out for free to fix the thermofuse and supposedly its under warranty now.....

I am at a loss for words....
                    The problem is IT'S A WHIRLPOOL!
                    ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

we "used to" do warranty for whirlpool, made by american water heaters, now owned by AO Smith, as they went under do to the class action suite caused by them going to the failed "Flame Guard" burner system. They are still having enormous problems, if you continue to call and demand you can sometimes get a whole new burner assembly. Unforunately as I have read many times in this Forum,,,,, you get what you pay for...... low cost, low quality..... Sorry to hear you got stuck with one.....

Comment

Working...
                      X