What should I expect to pay for a simple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect to pay for a simple

Pressure Valve replacement? Water department said 80% of time what I described, no pressure, requires a replacement.

My home is 12 years old and the access is open in the basement.

I'm just looking for what I am getting into from a $ prospective. Is this a valve that should be a ball vs gate? I don't know much about plumbers but saw some references to that idea on another thread.

Thanks to all.
    KSRebel

Re: What should I expect to pay for a simple

When you say "pressure valve" are you referring to a pressure regulating valve? If so , the new valve would be $100 plus or minus, but the labor depends on where it is located and how hard it is to get to, and of course whether or not it has an isolation stop so it can be worked on.

Do you have a picture?

Comment

Originally posted by KSRebel View Post
      Pressure Valve replacement? Water department said 80% of time what I described, no pressure, requires a replacement.

My home is 12 years old and the access is open in the basement.

I'm just looking for what I am getting into from a $ prospective. Is this a valve that should be a ball vs gate? I don't know much about plumbers but saw some references to that idea on another thread.

Thanks to all.
      KSRebel
      Giving prices over the internet is kind of hard to do since every area has different cost of living and cost to do business. So one guys price might be really high as someone else that has the cheaper cost of living price would be much cheaper. Its best just to call about 3 or 4 local shops and ask them prices.

For example the going rate for Chicago area will be much higher than a plumber in a small town in southern IL.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

25 large. give me a call, be right there.
        sigpic

Comment

30 large

i always strive to be the most expensive out there. my helper and i will be on days, nights and weekends. your affordable plumber. breid

Comment

Thanks to almost all. You are right, prices are relative to the area and difficulty. And it is a PRV (Pressure Reduction Valve).

It does not appear to have separate cut off valves on either side of it. It is on copper piping and easy to access in my basement.

So would it be reasonable, with many caveats, to expect about 2 hours of labor Plus the cost of the valve?

Thanks for helping the less than experienced home owner learn.

Comment

It is....what it is. So if the plumber estimates an hour and it takes two what are you going to do, refuse to pay? To quote Haan Solo. "It ain't like dusting crops boy" All kinds of things can and do happen. That's why we have licenses and years of training and experience. Word of advice. You get what you pay for. Cheap is seldom better.
              sigpic

Comment

I bid an 1 1/4" prv for $408. Tucson is cheaper than most places.

Comment

simple

define simple, please. breid

Comment

Working...
                  X