Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant heat

Hi Gentlemen
    I am an electrician and run in to different Plumbers, Fitters and other trades men all day and I am trying to get a straight answer on a radiant heat question maybe you can help. My son bought an Old Dutch Colonial house 1927 era and would like to install radiant heat on the first floor. Now we have herd every thing from just lay the tubing between the studs and insulate to grind down the steel cut nails and install aluminum I guess you can call them heat sinks, is it really worth the time and expense or will the system work just as well with out them. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Radiant heat

go heatinghelp.com then go qustion section will get the best help around

Comment

Before jumping into anything you need to have a thourough heat loss analysis done on the house. Reason; radiant tubing installed in a staple up system, beneath the sub floor will most likely not be enough to heat the house by itself. Usually some form of supplemental heat will also be required. That usually takes the form of baseboard or radiators. However, if the house is well insulated and the heat loss calcs come back good, using the aluminum distribution plates makes a huge difference in heat transfer so I would highly recommend going that route. Be advised however that no matter what you do, it will cost the same to heat the house requardless of the heat distribution system. Radiant just feels more comfortable. If it takes say 80,000 btu/hr to heat the house, it doesn't make a bit of difference how that 80,000 btu's get there.
      sigpic

Comment

I understand the heat load is the heat load. There is nice moldings and not a lot of wall space for furnishings and did not want to move every thing out from the wall for baseboard and the basement is open so radiant looks good plus it’s nice on you toes

Comment

And sooooooo..... You're just going ahead an put it all in and then freeze your but off if it's not enough? Radiant is pretty complicated stuff. Loop length, loop spacing, insulation, and a host of other things that require someone with experiance and knowledge to design and install.
          sigpic

Comment

No what the heck do you think I am asking for. Check out the title of the forum. It"s not I'm God you are an idiot, its ask the experts.
            Last edited by CIECO; 07-28-2009, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Take it easy Cieco. NHMaster gives plenty of good advice. It is just that some questions are so broad that it sort of requires a book to say it.

So after you get the energy audit for the amount of heat needed, you have to go to the flooring pipe system manufacturers and get the plans, eg Rehau pipe.
              You need details like will there be carpet etc.
              http://na.rehau.com/construction/hea....heating.shtml

Then you have to figure out how to best feed it from your boiler. That will depend on the type of system you have and water temp.
              Jeff had a good idea, but that is one question at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by CIECO View Post
                I understand the heat load is the heat load. There is nice moldings and not a lot of wall space for furnishings and did not want to move every thing out from the wall for baseboard and the basement is open so radiant looks good plus it’s nice on you toes
                You post this, I get the idea that you're gonna do it regardless of the heat loss data. ( or not do a heat loss) As far as aluminum plated vs. staple up, I believe that I did give you the answer to that question did I not? What you want to do and what will actually work are two different things indeed. But by all means go ahead and do whatever you want, it's your house and your dime. BTW why not ask the same question over at heatinghelp.com and see how accomodating we are there? You're gonna get the same response. Radiant heat ain't like stringing copper fin tube around the house. It has to be designed, installed and balanced to operate efficiently and with comfort. So here;s the best advice you will get anywhere. Get several estimates from reputable and knowledgable companies. Check references and their history of radiant installation.
                sigpic

Comment

Re: Radiant heat JERK ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!

No what the heck do you think I am asking for. Check out the title of the forum. It"s not I'm God you are an idiot, its ask the experts.
                  Sickoh This, Master is kind enough to give You Quality advice ,and You come back like a JERK!! ROTSA RUCK with Your constipated little staple up job!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

All I was doing was asking a simple question and I got a good answer that I appreciate. The job was speced and I did not plan on installing a few pieces of tubing and freezing all winter. What I am worried about is the nails coming threw the sub floor and the aluminum distribution plates making a lot of noise even after they are ground off.

Comment

Hi Gentlemen
                      I am an electrician and run in to different Plumbers, Fitters and other trades men all day and I am trying to get a straight answer on a radiant heat question maybe you can help. My son bought an Old Dutch Colonial house 1927 era and would like to install radiant heat on the first floor. Now we have herd every thing from just lay the tubing between the studs and insulate to grind down the steel cut nails and install aluminum I guess you can call them heat sinks, is it really worth the time and expense or will the system work just as well with out them. Any help would be appreciated.
                      And just where in any of your posts did you say anything about the nails making noise? Know what, figure it out for yourself. In short go away.
                      sigpic

Comment

I did not say any thing about noise. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                        X