How would I fix this (toilet)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I fix this (toilet)

I leaned back on my toilet today and the top part seemed to come off it's hinges a little bit and water started leaking out from the top part. I shut off the valve and just let it all leak out. I noticed that the problem seems to be that this black sealant that surrounded the nails that connected the top part to the bottom part of the toilet has come off a little bit, letting water get under them and leak out. How would I fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Re: How would I fix this (toilet)

Originally posted by Agodefeat View Post
    I leaned back on my toilet today and the top part seemed to come off it's hinges a little bit and water started leaking out from the top part. I shut off the valve and just let it all leak out. I noticed that the problem seems to be that this black sealant that surrounded the nails that connected the top part to the bottom part of the toilet has come off a little bit, letting water get under them and leak out. How would I fix this?

Thanks a lot!

Here you go..step by step guide
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Robert, if I was gay I would be in love with you.

Nice post.
      sigpic

Comment

You probably cracked your tank. Depending on how old the toilet is you will probaby need to replace the whole thing if it is older. If it is new you may be able to get a replacement tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Agodefeat View Post

Thanks a lot!

thats a major problem with those recliner toilets
          The Other Rick

Comment

Funny Robert. But it is not rocket science. If ever there was a project so simple that the village idiot could do it, it is a toilet. 2 bolts and one gasket on the tank. Same on the floor. Not rocket surgery.

You will probably take it apart to inspect if you can't see a crack.
            The tank is held on by two bolts. Look inside the tank and you see the big brass screw head on the bottom, with a nut underneath.
            If you are lucky and it is not broken you could try to adjust it. I would get a new gasket kit.

Comment

Re: How would I fix this (toilet) NOW WHAT !!!!

Originally posted by KevinCorr View Post
              Funny Robert. But it is not rocket science. If ever there was a project so simple that the village idiot could do it, it is a toilet. 2 bolts and one gasket on the tank. Same on the floor. Not rocket surgery.

You will probably take it apart to inspect if you can't see a crack.
              The tank is held on by two bolts. Look inside the tank and you see the big brass screw head on the bottom, with a nut underneath.
              If you are lucky and it is not broken you could try to adjust it. I would get a new gasket kit.
              My crapper has 3 [ count em] THREE bolts !Should I remove one for safety sake?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

if you do decide to buy a new toilet, get a one piece! you'll never have that problem again!

Comment

yes tool

take out the odd one. you know einie, menie, minie moe. breid

Comment

This is basic, everyone knows you have to use the Red sealant around your nails to secure the tank.

Comment

replace hinges. breid

Comment

Ensure the tank is not cracked by removing the lid and tank bolts. (as others mentioned.) Buy a new set of tank bolts if the tank is not cracked and set the tank again, but be sure to put a bead of caulking under the rubber washers that go under the metal washer of the tank bolt. This will keep them from leaking for many years to come. It's how I was taught at least.

Good luck with your project.

Comment

Never ever have I in 20 years used caulking for this. Properly tightened they should not leak and not need any silicone help.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                            Never ever have I in 20 years used caulking for this. Properly tightened they should not leak and not need any silicone help.
                            I take your word for it as I have taken apart a few really old toilets that have been in use for many years without any caulking under the washers. The bolts were dry as a bone too.

Comment

gee, best bet, buy a new water closet !

Comment

Working...
                              X