Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help my tub

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
    The difference between homeowner plumbing and changing your light bulb is there is zero possibility of you contaminating a public water supply. You are not comparing apples and apples. We have codes for a reason. Because a hundred or so odd years ago folks were getting sick and dropping dead because hacks did whatever they wanted to do. Plumbing isn't carpentry or electrical and mechanical. Plumbing can, has and will effect more lives than the idiot that did the work.

I understand what your saying, I don't disagree that guy needs help and is over his head. I have said that three times now. I was merely addressing the manner in which he was treated. I don't want to argue on this anymore. I am not going to continue with this thread any longer. I will respect your opinion and leave it at that.

- Dan

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
      Another Good Point, Thanks Carl.

Maybe its time we rename the forum to "Barter with the Plumbing Professional" ...

I mean "Time is Money" for everyone
      I know all you plumbers are pissed because I want to fix a leak myself. Truth is since you are all so curious as to what I'm doing, I have called my lanlord and plumber and they have snaked this tub before and it has maybe correctly worked for a week the whole 5 years at this apartment. Neither of them come over. So I will check it myself and wanted plumbing advice. Much like other forums, experts like you all give advice to newbies like me. But I'm not that stupid either see, I know a little about plumbing, not enough to be licensed or confident to do my own house full, but this is minor work here.

The leak was pinpointed to the wax ring. I need to get some hardware bolts for the toilet and i'll test it out. Leak is pretty much solved. This clog though, zip tool doesn't do any justice for it. I'm afraid these copper pipes under the tub are soldered together. I do need a plumber to get out here for that. The cabinets I am refurbishing this week.
      As for now all our food is on the table! Here you go kids there it is lol

Comment

I'm not doing any major plumbing at all guys, settle down. And no, I didn't make this with rubber coupling, I took the cupboards down and found here it's not correct.

Comment

listen .make sure the flange is at least level with the finished floor . if to low the w/c can and will leak

Comment

If you choose to tear into the tub drain,

I will make this sugestion,

take your pictures and go down to the hardware store, plumbing supply, or box store, and find a simular brass, tub drain, and trap, buy it and take it home and then open up the box and see how it goes together, How the parts work and fit and it would be assembled or dissasmebled. Same for the trap.

yes the copper pipe does look to be solderd.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Chief I'm going to advise extreme caution here. You are in this over your head and it's difficult to describe exactly what is going on to us plumbers.

But the big deal is you just mentioned that magic word...
              Landlord!
              Really this is his problem and if you go playing around with his plumbing he can blame things being wrong on you and get the place fixed up on your dime.

You need to throw a bunch of thorns in this landlords socks and get him going. showing up with a second rate handyman that can't get it done doesn't cut the mustard! As far as I'm concerned when a toilet is leaking on kitchen cabinets the place is ready to be condemned! This slum lord needs to get of his dead azz and fix the problems like last week!

Check with your local officials health and building to see what can be done to get this guy going!
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I have been lurking in the weeds and decided to add my advice to you....

The LANDLORD is responsible..period you pay rent, you don't get a single tax advantage as the LANDLORD does!

You likely signed a renter's lease?? the LANDLORD is responsible, you are not.

Now on the other hand.....

you may enjoy doing stuff and this problem seems to be an excellent challenge for you
                to jump into and increase your handy-man skills....
                BUT from a liability perspective it's the LANDLORD'S responsibility and you have absolutely no responsibility financial or otherwise as a renter!

In fact he. the LANDLORD may even be responsible for damages to your stuff from the leak.

Do you have renter's insurance? The LANDLORD has insurance .....and often his insurance will cover this incident.

As some others mentioned to you if you get into doing any of the repairs you'll own it and
                much much more! The LANDLORD will rake you over the coals and your life where you live will never be the same! And it will cost you a ton of money!

I know all this as being a renter and a LANDLORD!!!

Now the LANDLORD by law is required to fix the problem as fast as possible as this is a health concern! If he does not respond or do the repairs you have all sorts of legal options...depending upon the state you live in.

Finally it's ok to be a nice guy and barter painting the place for a break on the rent but repairing a utility failure is way beyond being a nice guy...don't be a sucker and contact the LANDLORD and demand immediate repairs and ensure he uses a licensed plumber not cousin Albert! Photograph and document everything as if you do continue to address any plumbing repair you'll need that stuff when the LANDLORD takes you to court!

Cactus Man

Comment

I understand you guys it's technically not my responsibility. But you don't understand it's hard to get him or a real repair man out here. I'm not always on time with my rent and he has been cool with me for years about that. So I'm not a jerk about it, it's not too difficult and yes he does dock my repairs off rent. I don't see him taking me to court for repairing the bathrooms already, he loves them.

Comment

you are doing the right thing by him ,if you call a plumber ,to fix the problem .and you said he will deduct it from the rent , he dose not have to show up and you wait for the plumber ,i think that is fare .

Comment

Gentlemen at this point I fear we are
                      sigpic

Comment

Well I have fixed my tub drain 100% blockage free. Right now I'm trying to get the toilet bolts in, for some reason it's very difficult and requires me to hammer it in. I got one bolt through the flange with a little tap, but the other is stubborn. This flange doesn't have the groove cut in it like the kind downstairs where you can just slide the bolt in and twist it to hold it in place, this one is just a slot, with no side cut groove. So you gotta pry the flat side of the bolt in there. frustrating. I'll post photos later tonight

Comment

Pops came over (my dad), and gave me an analytical idea to cut 1-2" out and snake it to the main flow. The blockage was to the right like we planned to find, but just to make sure we ran water through the trap and it was clean flowing so we knew the blockage was between the two elbows in the 1.5" copper to the right, just before it attached to the main sewage line. (4") I snaked out a shampoo cap and one of my girls' hair ties. The suspected block seemed to feel like a wash cloth. The blockage would not snag onto the tip of the snake and ended up pushing through.

While I was cutting, Pops picked up a connection for me and simply installed it, screwed it tight for a perfect working tub/shower. It flows perfectly, the best I have ever seen this shower run since we moved in 5 yrs. ago.

Now to just figure out these toilet mounting bolts. I got one in, it was a *****. The other won't go in. I'm thinking the flange must lift out to install the bolts from the bottom (instead of sliding in from the side). I have not been able to figure out how it lifts out, maybe a screw hiding under the wax ring? Any ideas would be appreciated, plumb gurus.

I can relax tonight after a nice shower and get to work tomorrow again.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                            the tub, I would probably snake it down from the over flow and leave the trap alone, and there is a very good chance that the blockage is in the horizontal from the drain to the pipe that is the over flow, I find a ZIP IT a easily tool to clear that area if it is full of hair,
                            http://www.zipitclean.com/more_info/mobile_home.php
                            I just did my tub drain and the blockage was not in the trap or the pipe but in the little 8 or so inches from the drain to the over flow pipe...
                            Thank you. The blockage was in an elbow which I was able to access by cutting a small section of the horizontal, near the main sewage, after the trap. This advice was helpful for my family!

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefFox View Post

Now to just figure out these toilet mounting bolts. I got one in, it was a *****. The other won't go in. I'm thinking the flange must lift out to install the bolts from the bottom (instead of sliding in from the side). I have not been able to figure out how it lifts out, maybe a screw hiding under the wax ring? Any ideas would be appreciated, plumb gurus.

I can relax tonight after a nice shower and get to work tomorrow again.
                              chances are the old brass closet bolt tab is still stuck under the flange.

use a hammer and a chisel/ flat screwdriver and just clearance it out under the flange. should only take a couple of hits with the chisel/ screwdriver

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

Glad you got things going and working.
                                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                                X