X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my tub

My tub with shower on the second level has leaked somehow down into my kitchen cupboards. So I took those down to repair after I figure out this drain. It is always clogged, the toilet is fine, just the tub won't drain for years now. So I figure I can take apart these pipes somehow. I'll post some photos attached to this forum for anybody that wants to give me advice on how to clear out these pipes. I've had a plumber come over and snake it professionally and it seemed to work for about a week or less. Old steel pipes, I'm guessing 1.5" or 2" diameter in this old style apartment built around 1950's-60's guessing.

After pulling down two cupboards I noticed somebody upstairs running the sink and a leak coming from the joint where the sink drain meets the toilet drain in a "Y".
    Attached Files

Re: Help my tub

i'm confused

not from you photos, but your words.

you mention the tub, yet i see waste marks on the pvc bend under the toilet. appears that the toilet flange/ wax ring is leaking.

you mention old steel pipe and stoppages. yet all i see is copper and pvc.

that all rubber band is not legal inside the house out here. it has to be a shielded band.

your pictures and story line just don't jive. yet you have enough knowledge to remove you cabinet and can't tell the difference between copper, steel, and pvc.

yet your in the insurance business

is it just me, or is something off

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Also the rubber coupling used is not the right type for transtioning from copper to pvc. What you need there is a Proflex coupling. http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shiel...flex-couplings
      Attached Files
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Sorry to confuse everybody, plumbing is not my forte. When I said steel I guess I did mean to say copper. And yes I found out the tub is not leaking, it turned out to be that pvc. Now on how to fix that leak, in the second to last photo near the top of the Y, I'm not sure to access that from the upstairs or downstairs. What's wrong with the rubber coupling?

But yes, I will need to clean out that P Trap under the tub. I just need a pipe wrench correct? And which direction is the threading on those copper pipes? Is that purple plumbers putty the cause of my leak, or should I get something else?

Notice the picture of my cupboards, on the top in two spots i see water damage. The bigger cabinet goes in the corner, and the smaller one in the middle (right of larger cabinet)

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefFox View Post
          Sorry to confuse everybody, plumbing is not my forte. When I said steel I guess I did mean to say copper.

Call A PLUMBER

A LICENSED ONE AS WELL

Thanks !

Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 07-30-2009, 03:38 PM.
          Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
          New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefFox View Post
            Is that purple plumbers putty the cause of my leak, or should I get something else?
            LOL HAHAHAHA

Edit so i could add one more HAHA

Comment

Alright jerks I came to this forum for expert advice, I don't insult you because you don't understand any other traits other than pipes. If you don't want to help me out I'm sure there are tons of things for you to do on the internet rather than criticize my inexperience with shitty waste pipes. Sorry to break it down barney style for you.

Comment

Looks like a PVC offset flange for the toilet. Those things leak all the time. Have you checked the wax ring on the toilet?

The rubber coupling is wrong because it's to joint 2 pipes with the same size outside diameter. PVC and copper pipe have different outside diameters.

I haven't seen one of those tub drains in years.
                Lefty loosy-righty tighty

Comment

Geeeze Skool, use a big enough hammer there.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Looks like a PVC offset flange for the toilet. Those things leak all the time. Have you checked the wax ring on the toilet?

The rubber coupling is wrong because it's to joint 2 pipes with the same size outside diameter. PVC and copper pipe have different outside diameters.

I haven't seen one of those tub drains in years.
                    Lefty loosy-righty tighty
                    I appreciate the honest helpful advice. I will check the wax ring. Do those flanges just pop out correct? should I throw in some plumber putty anywhere on the flange? Thanks again "plumberscrack"

Comment

No plumbers putty is not necessary. I agree with Rick your plumbing there just doesn't look right and the guys are right about the rubber coupling. If it was me I would just re-plum the whole system and do it right. I hate screwing around with some ones jimmy rigged system.

Comment

This is Ask The Plumbing Experts and that's what this guy was doing if he knew what he was doing then he would not have asked. Yeah, he was trying to talk plumber but didn't know what he was really talking about.

Should a professional do the job? Yeah probably, but people have to learn somewhere. Maybe he can't afford someone right now with the economy down, who knows. I am not ragging on you guys I have the utmost respect for all of you but I think your a little hard on him.

Comment

Dan, I'm having problems figuring out my business accounts. Would you mind leading me through the whole process so that I can better understand it when (or if)I hire someone. Should only take a couple of hours and you don't mind working for free do you?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                            This is Ask The Plumbing Experts and that's what this guy was doing if he knew what he was doing then he would not have asked. Yeah, he was trying to talk plumber but didn't know what he was really talking about.
                            Right ask, as in

"Do you think I need a plumber"

"Will I get hurt doing this myself"

"Do you know a plumber in my area"

These would be the questions I would expect......

but people have to learn somewhere.

You're Kidding right? How about a trade school or spending years in the trade like the rest of us....

I don't see the OP handing out free insurance advice......./ consulting(His trade in profile)

And Like I mentioned earlier, I am actually appalled that an "Insurance man" would ask this.....

Maybe he can't afford someone right now with the economy down, who knows.
                            His Economy?

What about the HUNDREDS & Thousands of LICENSED plumbers that are sitting home these days to only watch homeowners hurt themselves and then wind up on the news.....because "They should have called a plumber"

What about the fact that it's ILLEGAL in most towns, states to repair these things yourself.......

What about all the children and wife's of the plumbers that can't eat because HOME cheapo and blowes gives a "false" impression that these people can just fix anything with a 2 hour Saturday class.....

I am not ragging on you guys I have the utmost respect for all of you but I think your a little hard on him.
                            I am not ragging on you either, Just expressing my opinions

But HARD ON HIM>

You going to tell that to the next guy that blowes up his house...or kills someone because "he saved a few bucks"?

Let's be real here. PLUMBING IS A SKILL that REQUIRES CODE, & A VALID LICENSE.....

PERSONALLY - I think RIDGID should adjust the rules of this whole forum or plain out just remove it.

PLUMBING IS NOT for HO's (Homeowners)

Call me a douche , *******, whatever you want......

But many many guys pay license fees, insurance etc for a reason............

sorry its just my opinion,

Oh and ALSO you all know how much I know the web right?

Well here is some advice from me about the good old WWW.

SOON - You will SEE Homeowners going after tradesman, for example:

"The guy in the forum told me to do this"

Ever notice how many of you have your company trucks, logos, and websites, your company info in your posts / avatars?

You tell these Homeowners "how to" without a disclaimer(which no one here has in there posts) and soon I bet someone is going to sue you for the "advice"

Call me crazy, call me insane, just don't call me late for dinner.

END RANT - AND NO disrespect intended, I am just "rough" around the edges when it comes to topics I am passionate about.
                            Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 07-30-2009, 06:57 PM.
                            Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                            New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have typed three responses for this post and deleted them all, trying to figure out how to respond.

I am not trying to judge your skills,
                              but by the way your asking and by what your asking you have a fair learning curve here,
                              and would recommend a skilled person in plumbing help you out. it may end up cheaper in the long run than creating a potential larger problem your self.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              on PVC, the purple is what is called primer, you apply that first and it cleans and conditions the pipe and the fitting to accept glue the glue normally slightly melts the plastic pipe together, (and if the joint is leaking more than likely it would be easer to replace that section than to attempt to repair it, IMO, you can try to slop on some more glue and seal it up but most likely it will not hold permanently),

it is possible it is leaking but like said it looks like an offset toilet flange and my guess is the wax ring has broke seal, and is leaking when the toilet is flushed, (since I can not see the water I do not know where it is leaking but I would do the wax ring first,
                              and if it is the joint I would probably replace the section of PVC than try to repair it,

wax ring is a ring of wax that is used to seal under the toilet to the pipe flange they are premade and bought at most any hardware store,

they are not hard to do, but when reseting the toilet one can break the base of the toilet if one does over tighten the mounting bolts, if they are not tight enough then the seal will leak again very soon. no plumber putty is used with the wax seal,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

the tub, I would probably snake it down from the over flow and leave the trap alone, and there is a very good chance that the blockage is in the horizontal from the drain to the pipe that is the over flow, I find a ZIP IT a easily tool to clear that area if it is full of hair,
                              http://www.zipitclean.com/more_info/mobile_home.php
                              I just did my tub drain and the blockage was not in the trap or the pipe but in the little 8 or so inches from the drain to the over flow pipe,

the other is any of the tub pipe pitch upward, and creating a problem,

I have seen on some older homes where things settle and the plumbing does not settle and what was minimal pitched pipe built becomes a up hill pitch and they hardly ever flow good when that happens, and it plugs up fast as well.

I probably would not touch that trap in the attempt to remove it (and would only do so if I had a replacement drain kit handy), many times you start to mess with that type of stuff and you will not have the desired results, (if you break it lose and wiggle it lose from the tub you will then need some plumbers putty), I would just snake the drain out.
                              unless conditions in doing that would then lead me to think some thing else is wrong, and the pipe would need to be removed,

that is my two cents,
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X