Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old 3/4" galv. main leaks at fitting - HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old 3/4" galv. main leaks at fitting - HELP!

Hire someone you tightazz.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...ngineer/Salary

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      I do not know if you read the first post, but he is trying to help out a friend/neighbor.

Maybe if your neighbor has a flat tire you buy him a new car, I know most people do not, not even a new tire, and most would not even offer to get it patched for them,
      but a few may help with changing the tire with the spare if in need.

I think he is just trying to help the neighbor in need, to get thought a tough time.

And I think it is commendable for him to help the neighbor in need.

All I know is there are a lot of people out there that have lost there jobs or there hours cut, even pay rolled back, and benefits cut. I think most should be Glad they still have an income and way to pay there bills, in these tougher economic times,

I do not see any thing wrong with paying it forward, concept.

WHO knows may be some day you many need a helping hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe you are willing to go help the guy do it right? If you decline are you a tightazz?
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

biggie

if he is laid off he should be digging the trench. plumbers are a lot cheaper if the digging is done. breid

Comment

Eggggggggggzactly.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I do not know if you read the first post, but he is trying to help out a friend/neighbor.

Maybe if your neighbor has a flat tire you buy him a new car, I know most people do not, not even a new tire, and most would not even offer to get it patched for them,
            but a few may help with changing the tire with the spare if in need.

I think he is just trying to help the neighbor in need, to get thought a tough time.

And I think it is commendable for him to help the neighbor in need.

All I know is there are a lot of people out there that have lost there jobs or there hours cut, even pay rolled back, and benefits cut. I think most should be Glad they still have an income and way to pay there bills, in these tougher economic times,

I do not see any thing wrong with paying it forward, concept.

WHO knows may be some day you many need a helping hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maybe you are willing to go help the guy do it right? If you decline are you a tightazz?

You're right. I should have read closer. And I do help my neighbor with about anything I'm able too.

J.C.

Comment

My neighbor is a crack dealer
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KevinCorr View Post
                The main is the pipe that goes down the street belonging to the utility company. Your pipe to the house is the service.
                So I picked up a 3/4" dresser coupling, two 3/4" x 10" galv. pipes, a 3/4" threaded coupler, and a 3/4" valve w/ the little threaded drain plug on the side to replace the one that's shot, and am going to do this in the morning tomorrow.

I'll cut the "service line" (thank you, Kevin. I always appreciate learning proper terminology) back just past the brick on the meter side, enough to grab ahold of it so I can pull it out of the hole in the brick, which will let me get the old valve out and the new valve in...

Then I'll figure out where I need to make the final cut on the service line, cut it, de-burr it, clean up the surface real nice, and slip the coupler on, get the replacement piece situated, slide the coupler over, and tighten it down.

Any little tricks other than secure the pipes as you're tightening the coupling?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

You gonna need some goo to put on those threads.

Didn't see it on your shopping list.
                  "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Is the valve you mention in the brick area, the town shut off valve/curb stop?

If it is then they should be responsible for any leaks etc..up to that point.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Is the valve you mention in the brick area, the town shut off valve/curb stop?

If it is then they should be responsible for any leaks etc..up to that point.
                      No, that's butting up against the house, the service line from the meter runs to this valve, which has a drain valve in it. (I'm guessing to shut the house off past the meter and drain the lines?)

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                      You gonna need some goo to put on those threads.

Didn't see it on your shopping list.
                      I was going to use teflon tape. What is this goo that you speak of? I will run and pick some up first thing.

Comment

the teflon tape should work, I personly like a pipe dope with teflon in it, over the tape,
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree with Bob, teflon while work but joint compound is superior for iron pipe, or use both. You can go to HD and get a small can of oatey great white which is perfectly acceptable for potable water. Masters pro-dope is what I usually use but I'm not sure of its availability in the U.S. because the factory is in Ontario. Highside makes some good stuff too, like leak-lock but I use that on petroleum only. It's good to see you helping out a friend/neighbour in need (yes I used the Canadian spelling for neighbour) I always try to help people as much as I can. Although replacement of the entire line is probably the best option, the dresser coupling should work slick for WAY cheaper. It might not be a bad idea to call your local building jurisdiction and ask them if you need a permit for a repair to the main.

Good luck man!

Comment

So I went over and knocked it out today, the hardest part was getting that epoxy-based leak repair tape off. UGH. Once I got enough off, I was able to unscrew everything, but then learned that they had cemented the pipe into the brick, and couldn't even get it to turn. Dude said "I have something for that" and brought back a 20lb sledgehammer, and I broke the brick out enough to expose the pipe and pull it out.

Everything went together about as well as I expected. I put some pipe dope around the threads and then wrapped them in teflon tape, tightened everything down really nice, and got 'er done. I closed the new valve that I put in so that it would pressurize just the section that I had done and not the rest of the house, and turned the on the water, not one drop appeared anywhere along the line.

Turned the valve back on, went in the kitchen and unscrewed the screen, and turned it on... Full water pressure, better than before the leak, and a bunch of crap came out, and then it was good to go. I've attached a photo of the job.

Thanks everybody for the great advice, I (and my neighbor) greatly appreciate it!

Brian

Comment

Glad to hear everything worked out good. Keep up the good work and good luck with any future projects like this you might run into. Have a good one man!

Comment

Is that a stop and waste valve? Water mains have to have full port, full open valves. Stop and Waste or globe valves are a no no.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X