X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Sewer Snake Root Cutter

I've got 2 cleanouts in the front lawn each having tree root growth about a couple feet away where the PVC connects to the clay pipe. Is there a short snake root cutter (around 8 feet) that I can buy to cut the roots either by hand or with a power drill? I had them rodded out last November and want to be ready for the next time in case of emergency. The last time was on a holiday on Sunday and didn't get someone to come out until 1:00am.

Thanks!!

Re: Short Sewer Snake Root Cutter

You can get a length of sectional cable, use it with a drill adapter and a cutter. But I will caution you that for someone who doesn't have experience regularly using this there is a good chance of getting hurt.

Comment

Why not get a plumber in to fix the problem.
      If you are looking to save money then dig the hole.
      Rodding the drain is only a short term fix, it will never get better and the frequency of root intrusion will only get worse.

Simon

Comment

You won't be able to cut them by hand and as far as using a drill I would not do it, there are some experienced plumbers / drain cleaners that won't use that method because it can be dangerous. I know it's hard to have to call a professional to clean the line when money is tight or when one feels capable however this is one of the things I would have to say that I would call a pro on. When I was first learning how to clean drains two or three drains into it, I all most ripped my finger off because I was going to fast. I am lucky that it just cut it to the bone and broke it because it could have torn it all the way off.

Comment

the drill and 10' sectional cable and cutter is great for someone like myself. but as others mentioned. it is a very dangerous procedure if you're not real, real experienced.

fortunately i've been lucky. one day i will post photos of the day i wasn't so lucky.

although dan didn't want to push his product. why not just try root-x and see how it works out.

you're retired for a reason, the drill and snake could possibly permanently retire you i wouldn't recommend it to anybody but real skillful drain cleaners.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

At only 8 feet in, you may want to look for a plumber who can put in a fernco pipe patch. This would be a good comprimise between your diy solution and a line replacement.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              At only 8 feet in, you may want to look for a plumber who can put in a fernco pipe patch. This would be a good comprimise between your diy solution and a line replacement.
              Actually it's not 8 feet in. It's 4 feet down from the top of the cleanout and 2 feet in from there so I thought I'd need 8 feet of cable.

I just watched Fernco's video on their website. Looks like exactly what I need. Unfortunately they don't mention how much a job like the one shown costs. Anyone know how much that would cost? Hundreds or thousands?

http://www.graspr.com/videos/Pipe-Patch-video

Thanks!!

Comment

Bobt if your sewer is only 4' deep, it might be more cost effective to replace your sewer from the house to the sidewalk or parkway if there is no sidewalk. AS for the Fernco pipe patch, they have not been approved for use in Illinois. If you are in the northern half of IL I be happy to give you an Estimate to replace the sewer. Even if you are in the southern half I can still be of help, just would have to schedule something in a couple days advance.

As for power rodding it yourself, I can not stop you, but please be real careful if you rent or buy a rodder. I know many past customers that have attempted drain cleaning themselves and have gotten seriously hurt. If you want prices on rodding the sewer or just want to pick my brain with some questions, just click my link in my signature and call me I be more than happy to be of help.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  Bobt if your sewer is only 4' deep, it might be more cost effective to replace your sewer from the house to the sidewalk or parkway if there is no sidewalk. AS for the Fernco pipe patch, they have not been approved for use in Illinois. If you are in the northern half of IL I be happy to give you an Estimate to replace the sewer. Even if you are in the southern half I can still be of help, just would have to schedule something in a couple days advance.
                  My sewer pipe was already replaced and at great cost several years ago. I have 6" pvc from the house to the driveway. The joints/sleeves they used to connect to the house on one side then to the street on the other is where the roots are growing in. They told us the rubber sleeves they used were supposed to never have this problem. Apparently the roots have no problem growing into these connections over time.

With all the rain and water problems I've had, and the water jet job I got soaked on last year, no dollars left for a big job here. Everyone in my neighboorhood that has trees in their front lawns continually have problems even when they have the big sewer jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by bobt View Post
                    My sewer pipe was already replaced and at great cost several years ago. I have 6" pvc from the house to the driveway. The joints/sleeves they used to connect to the house on one side then to the street on the other is where the roots are growing in. They told us the rubber sleeves they used were supposed to never have this problem. Apparently the roots have no problem growing into these connections over time.

With all the rain and water problems I've had, and the water jet job I got soaked on last year, no dollars left for a big job here. Everyone in my neighboorhood that has trees in their front lawns continually have problems even when they have the big sewer jobs.
                    Wow, I am amazed you are getting roots already then. No joint out there is 100% root proof. Roots will get in no matter what. I help prevent them from growing in by using grade * crushed limestone under and around and above the pipe. It helps change the PH of the soil which slows the growth.

You might want to look into using Root X a foaming root killer. It is not copper sulfate, its a herbicide that kills plant life it comes in contact with, and since roots grow in the tops of pipes the foaming agent will get to them. Another ting you want to do is water the tree's, get some sort of root feeder system for your trees, if you give them what they want in the soil they will leave your sewer alone.

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with your sewer, and companies that do not do a good job. Our company has always guarantee our power roddings for two years of main sewers.

Comment

Wow, I am amazed you are getting roots already then. No joint out there is 100% root proof. Roots will get in no matter what. I help prevent them from growing in by using grade * crushed limestone under and around and above the pipe. It helps change the PH of the soil which slows the growth.

You might want to look into using Root X a foaming root killer. It is not copper sulfate, its a herbicide that kills plant life it comes in contact with, and since roots grow in the tops of pipes the foaming agent will get to them. Another ting you want to do is water the tree's, get some sort of root feeder system for your trees, if you give them what they want in the soil they will leave your sewer alone.

I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with your sewer, and companies that do not do a good job. Our company has always guarantee our power roddings for two years of main sewers.

Wow, two years that's a nice guarantee.

Comment

I thought I looked at the Root X and it said you must use it shortly after having the roots cut. Is that correct? I had the roots cut last november so I figured it wouldn't work.

Also, can you put the stuff down the toilet as the one joint with roots coming in goes towards the house so I couldn't get the stuff in through the cleanout going upstream.

Comment

I thought I looked at the Root X and it said you must use it shortly after having the roots cut. Is that correct? I had the roots cut last november so I figured it wouldn't work.

Also, can you put the stuff down the toilet as the one joint with roots coming in goes towards the house so I couldn't get the stuff in through the cleanout going upstream.
                          The instructions do tell you how to do it down the water closet. If it is a low flow water closet you have to do it in parts. For example:
                          • Well first you need to open the canister it comes in the parts are packed in it separately so you need to get a small pail and dump both parts in the clean and dry pail.
                          • Now mix it up till the two parts are well blended.
                          • Now go to your water closet closet to leaving the building and pour in half the pail and quickly flush the water closet. (do not wait for it to start to foam.
                          • After the tank refills flush it once more with out adding any thing to the bowl.
                          • Once it refills again add the remaining product and flush.
                          • Follow up with one more flush.
                          It is best to do this just before you go to bed to give it a chance to flow through the sewer with out getting washed away.

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                            Wow, two years that's a nice guarantee.
                            Yep back in the day when my father started the company and he used to flat rate his power rodding the guarantee used to read " One free rodding if the above line blocks within 2 years"

Then around the mid 1980's he was introduced to T&M billing where our rates now have a service call, rod charge, and labor rate. (funny part of T&M is we still get the same prices today my father used to get flat rate 30 years ago) Well with the T&M pricing he changed the guarantee to read " One labor free rodding if the above line blocks within 2 years" So this way we still got the service call and rod charge.

Comment

RootX needs to be applied with in the first hour after cutting the roots or you need to wait six to eight weeks and then apply RootX. The best place to apply RootX is at a clean out. You can apply only two lbs through a commode, I would recommend applying all the product at once if you can but with a low flow you might have trouble getting it to go down so go with SewerRatz instructions. You do want to mix it dry until the two parts are completely mixed. Then pour the powder into the commode. The clean out is the preferred place to apply RootX because you are usually closer to the problem and you’re not wasting product trying to get it out of the house. Roots can grow under the house, those are called tail roots and they can grow the full length of the pipe, if you take a look at some of the pictures these guys have pulled out 10-15' sections long of roots those are tail roots and they can grow right into your commode. That is rare but it can happen. Roots that grow strait into the pipe and hang down but don’t grow the length of the pipe are called veil roots and they are more common because they hang in the pipe and catch debris and cause a blockage

Here is the application chart depending on the total length of line you’re treating:

Don't worry about the last two with the direct pour/ vacuum and the fdu that is for municipals.

P.S. RootX offers a one yr guarantee only if it is applied by a professional plumber or drain cleaner
                              Last edited by DanLawrence; 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM. Reason: There is a rumor that there is a spelling bee going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X