X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tub Spout Diverter Life

So why do diverters on my tub spouts die every couple of years. They leak more and more as time goes on until its hard to get the shower to kick in.

I asked a worker at HD if any of the higher priced Tub Spouts lasted longer and they said no they are pretty much all the same.

So is it true.. its is just a fact of life that I will have to replace em every few years?

Josh

Re: Tub Spout Diverter Life

Do you have hard water? The buildup was killing all my plumbing fixtures when I bought a house with hard water. I put in a softener just recently when I re-piped. I already think it 's helping.... no white crud at all anymore.

Comment

Just like with most things, HD sells mostly crap. I have seen a HUGE difference in the variation of quality in tub spouts. Go to your local supply house and they should be able to set you up .

Comment

Thats what I figured... HD's selection is pretty narrow and the spouts feel more like tin cans than a fixture. They are cheap though. I am all for paying more if it lasts.

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
        Just like with most things, HD sells mostly crap. I have seen a HUGE difference in the variation of quality in tub spouts. Go to your local supply house and they should be able to set you up .

Comment

josh, the spout that you're having problems with is probably a front lift diverter style. made of cheap pot metal and a rubber cup washer to seal against the metal inside a plastic slide

typically the all brass constructed ones with the rear lift are much better quality and much higher $$$.

put together a list of goodies and we can all pack some parts.

remember that i can only pack so much stuff and still have room for my games

post a photo, you know better

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

What's the water pressure like? Too high will destroy the little rubber cup in no time.

Be sure to state if its a copper pipe or a gal nipple type spout.
            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Josh,
              As the others have said check your pressure, and try a Delta # RP17454.
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

I was cleaning out my shed the other day and came across some old solid brass Chicago tub spouts with the diverter. Each spout weighs at least 5 pounds each. If I do not sell them by the round up I bring one with me.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Pressure isnt very high. Its copper running into the spout. Rear design doesnt work because the connection is all the way up in the front of the TS.

Sorry about the hacked terminology ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    Pressure isnt very high. Its copper running into the spout. Rear design doesnt work because the connection is all the way up in the front of the TS.

Sorry about the hacked terminology ;-)
                    Find a high quality boutique plumbing store and see what they can do about getting a high quality spout. Remember the copper bit, though. You might want to take an old one with you as the boutique people can be clueless.

Plumbing quality has really dumbed down, so get the best you can. Instead of a rubber cup diverter, look for a brass diverter.

Or install a shower stall.
                    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I just had trouble with one today, first it leaked out of the spout. After I was able to fix that it leaked from where it threaded onto the 1/2" nipple. I don't get why they can't just make something in between the $10 crap and the $60 ones.

Comment

vette. my guess is that there is no market for them. you either want a good one or walmart will do. breid........

Comment

Spout supply can be shortened Josh.

Comment

So I guess all of us who want something in between do not provide enough of a market for these sub-standard manufacturers....hmmmm

Comment

Working...
                            X