X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to be a plumber

I am just shy of 30 and in the past 15 years, I have worked the most random assortment of jobs. For the past 7 years, I have done quite a few remodeling and repair projects that have gotten me interested in residential plumbing. So, I am wondering what is the proper or best path to take for one interested in this profession. I am getting married soon so whatever I do, my wife would probably prefer that I make some money to help support us while I get training. Should I go to a trade school while working full time (doing whatever pays best) or should I try to get a job with a plumber for on-the-job type training? How did you get started? My end goal would be to run my own small plumbing business. Any information or recommendations are appreciated.

Benjamin

Re: I want to be a plumber

Run Like Hell ... I Have Never been able to "write the Check" ... Down to Maybe 2 calls a week ....

Too Old to change ....

Auto Mechanics seem to be very buisy these days ....

If you can "Reinvent the wheel" More Power to Ya ...

Dave

Comment

You need to work for a master plumber,,
      A good one that cares about what he does would be best.
      You work during the day to make a living,,and go to apprentice school once or twice a week at night ,,for 4 years..
      then you can take your journeyman test...
      If you paid attn and pass 1 more year you can take your master test..
      5 years and can be on your own..
      my son is counting down his 4th year and making $$$
      A young man needs to stick with it to get some were

Comment

I like what Delcase had to say, man this will be a lot of work for ya. Since there will be a lot of evening calls, plus school. Meaning once you get good enough for the boss, he'll have you doing late night/early morning calls.

This is a profession that needs people, so you gotta admit, there will be work for you. Not everyone wants the headache of owning a business, so if you just wanna work for the owner, more power to you. Plus, it'll give you more time w/your wife and kids.

Good luck, and I say go for it, find that plumbing shop that needs you....
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

What you can and should do varies a lot with what state you are in. In many areas, you need some trade school to get into an apprentice program , and have to find a company who will let you work with one of their journeyman. Depending on him and what kind of work that company does, you may learn a lot, or not! Some areas, you have to get into the union to get any apprentice work.

Californinia is the other end of the spectrum. A business owner with a contractor's license can send daffy duck and a helper out on a truck, to do just about anything. You may learn a lot, you may have to learn the hard way by screwing it up first, and you may learn a lot of bad habits!

No matter what, tradeschool and/or a FORMAL apprenceship program are a very good way to learn.

Comment

Get a job with a rooter company. Not a national brand, but a big, local shop. Countless plumbers started with rooter work--it a big percentage of our work, anyway.

Age don't matter. Some of the best rookies are your age...not much older, though, for some reason.

School is nothing now with the dumbing down of America. Used to be pencils and reading, but now its way easier. Most states allow internet courses (check with OK, tho).
            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

My story is being trained as a finish carpenter, but it's analogous:
              I took a couple classes and got that end of things, but there is no replacement for working under a "master." To witness a skilled craftsman in the field is a unique experience that can't be replicated in a classroom.
              The problem solving that goes on in a 120 year old house won't be taught in a mock-up at the local community college. Even if the instructor is Plumber Rick himself, you won't be able to get in his head and learn his secrets when there are a dozen other students there vying for attention. But be careful who you work under, it's kind of like picking a father...

Comment

But be careful who you work under, it's kind of like picking a father...
                This is probably the most important piece of your whole training, choose wisely,
                or you could end up inheriting the bad habits (and reputation) of you mentor.
                They can follow you through your career and be tough to get out in front of.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I am looking into both trade school and finding a "mentor."

Comment

In my state, you just can't go to the apprenticeship. You have to work for a plumbing contractor and be sponsored.

Don't take the "it's like picking a father" lightly. It IS the most important decision you will make. I love the man who taught me like a father.

I jumped everytime my name was called. Be prepared to be humbled in a serious way, especially if he is old school. Everything from the shoes you wear to size/brand of tape measure you carry will be critiqued. I cleaned and organized my own van on my time and mowed the yard at the shop which is about two acres. When he went on vacation, I took care of his house.

It seemed like everytime I got a little cocky I ended up power washing the building, painting trailers or hanging drywall at his house.

If I had some free time at the shop he had me read plumbing magazaines. On nights I had school he would send me with questions and then talk about the class the next morning.

I seriously lived and breathed plumbing, and this was expected and normal.

So I guess what I am getting at is, make sure this is what you REALLY want. I love this trade and wouldn't have it any other way.

Take care.
                    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I want to be a plumber

I am the only plumber in my shop right now. The rest of the guys are fitters. My boss has had fitter apprentices out at his house spreading mulch and landscaping, when it was slow. That seriously cuts into the profits. However, they were hardworking kids and he was taking care of them, because they really needed 40 hours on their paychecks. Some of the other apprentices got laid off when it was slow. So, the choice is yours, bust *** and succeed, or slack and sit home. I think if you have a true desire, good hand-eye coordination, and a functioning alarm clock, you should make it.

Comment

Neither place i've lived as a plumber has been anything like this. I kind of wish it were, I live and breath this career anyway, and I enjoy going to work every day. but there was no school involved, none that was required anyway, just hands on experience, and time in.

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                        In my state, you just can't go to the apprenticeship. You have to work for a plumbing contractor and be sponsored.

Don't take the "it's like picking a father" lightly. It IS the most important decision you will make. I love the man who taught me like a father.

I jumped everytime my name was called. Be prepared to be humbled in a serious way, especially if he is old school. Everything from the shoes you wear to size/brand of tape measure you carry will be critiqued. I cleaned and organized my own van on my time and mowed the yard at the shop which is about two acres. When he went on vacation, I took care of his house.

It seemed like everytime I got a little cocky I ended up power washing the building, painting trailers or hanging drywall at his house.

If I had some free time at the shop he had me read plumbing magazaines. On nights I had school he would send me with questions and then talk about the class the next morning.

I seriously lived and breathed plumbing, and this was expected and normal.

So I guess what I am getting at is, make sure this is what you REALLY want. I love this trade and wouldn't have it any other way.

Take care.
                        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Hi everybody

Hi everybody,
                          I am new to this site.I hope this site will help me to understand quickly.
                          I would like to say "hi" to all members,Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X