X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet slime??

I put a water softener in about a month ago and I get a call a couple weeks ago from the lady telling me her first floor toilet is full of slime. She said she cleaned it but would call back if it returned. One week later I get a call and the slime is back. I went to inspect and it really is a clear slime developing in the first floor toilet. The tank is clear and the slime is only developing beneath the water level. The basement toilet is all clear. This is only developing in the toilet that gets the most use. Long story, short, cleaned the toilet, put the softener on bypass to assure the customer that the slime was not created by the new softener. Final call comes in today and its back, any ideas? The toilet is directly connected to the main stack with a side inlet tee serving the tub drain. This seems to me to be obviously coming from the drain, but how and what?
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Toilet slime??

Clear slime under the water level? How did they know it's there?

Dumb question, I'm sure, but is there anything in the tank?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Clear slime under the water level? How did they know it's there?

Dumb question, I'm sure, but is there anything in the tank?

J.C.
      This is very thick, some of it is coming off the bowl and floating. You can seriously scrape the bowl with a playing card and collect a good sample. I almost thought about telling her she should go to the doctor. Tank is clean as a whistle.

Comment

I'm thinking. Be scared.

Was the water tested?

Is this the only fixture where you see this occurring? In the aerators?

Sounds like a bacteria.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I'm thinking. Be scared.

Was the water tested?

Is this the only fixture where you see this occurring? In the aerators?

Sounds like a bacteria.

J.C.
          Yes, downstairs toilet that never gets used is perfect, the faucets work fine. I'm thinking something coming up from the drain somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
            Yes, downstairs toilet that never gets used is perfect, the faucets work fine. I'm thinking something coming up from the drain somehow.
            I would ask them to only use the downstairs toilet for a few days. That would confirm/isolate that it's the upstairs toilet if they continue to have no buildup downstairs. If it occurs in the downstairs toilet, then you know that you have a source problem.

You don't have an equal comparison to really say that the downstairs is "perfect" yet because it doesn't have identical turnover.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-10-2009, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Resin getting through membrane.

The resin will look like a slightly cloudy jelly after it sits in the water for a while...

Blow down the waterheater and see what comes out ( I bet more of what you are seeing in the toilet)

Leave softner in by-pass and flush all the lines and see if this helps..

Did this customer previously have a water softner ( did you replace? or install new)...

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                Resin getting through membrane.

The resin will look like a slightly cloudy jelly after it sits in the water for a while...

Blow down the waterheater and see what comes out ( I bet more of what you are seeing in the toilet)

Leave softner in by-pass and flush all the lines and see if this helps..

Did this customer previously have a water softner ( did you replace? or install new)...
                How to repair? Inside of toilet tank is alright, just the bowl is having the problem. This was a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                X