Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How to get a 2" galvanized steel pipe out of a stubborn cast iron fitting? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a 2" galvanized steel pipe out of a stubborn cast iron fitting?

Here is my current situation:
    I am ripping out the old galvanized steel piping and will replace it with PVC, since I have the walls open for the bathroom remodel, which I am working on. I got everything already out with the exception of one little piece of galvanized steel pipe left.

The galvanized steel pipe is a 2" drain pipe leading into the cast iron main stack (4"). The piece that doesn't come out it sitting in a Y fitting. It's sealed with lead. I first just tried to twist it out by using a 24" pipe wrench. That didn't work. Then I tried to chisel out some of the lead and then wanted to wrench it out. I even used a 4' pipe for more leverage on my wrench, but all it does is - nothing. The pipe doesn't move at all. I also tried to just bang it with a hammer to losen the lead, but that didn't get me any further. I think that the people installing it initially either screwed up the threads or it's just so corroded that it's "welded" together.

Now my question is if there is any other way that I can get this pipe out of the fitting other than cutting out the whole cast iron fitting and replacing it with a PVC fitting.

I already thought of just leaving it in and nohub it with the new PVC pipe, but that doesn't work, since I won't get the required slope for the drain (unfortunately, no one cared about codes back in the 50s and that's when the old pipe was put in). Since the piece of pipe is sticking out about 6 inches from the fitting, I also don't think I can just cut it off shorter to try to get the slope and then nohub it.

I do really prefer to get it out of the fitting and then completely replace it with PVC. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Re: How to get a 2" galvanized steel pipe out of a stubborn cast iron fitting?

It's either leaded or threaded, no both. Pictures would help.

Comment

It is definitely lead, I already removed half of it. I just thought, since it doesn't move at all, it might be different. I would have assumed, if it's only lead, you should be able to wiggle or twist it out. I would have wanted to just stick the new PVC pipe in and pack the lead back in. This, of course now is not a possibility anymore, since I already removed half of the lead.

I can hopefully put up pictures tonight.

Comment

You can drill the lead out or cut the pipe and lead out of the CI with a sawzall. Either way, don't beat on it too hard- unless you want to replace the wye you just broke.

Comment

I have a Victor cutting torch that says it will come out

Comment

why not put some pressure on it with a pipe wrench. Maybe a jack under the wrench and heat the lead a bit and warm it up to soften it a bit

Comment

cut the pipe off with a sawzawl, nearly flush with the fitting, then make a couple of cuts through the pipe down into the fitting. You should be able to peel it out a chunk at a time after that.

after that, peel the lead out, dont just pack it back around the PVC, they make a rubber gasket that will fit in that hub and accept pvc, use that instead. But you'll have to get it pretty clean.

Worst case you break the wye and end up calling a professional to help out.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

The pipe doesn't move at all.
                That's a real tribute to the craftsmanship of the plumber who installed it years ago.
                Sounds like you need someone of equal skill to help you get it out.

Remove the lead and clean the oakum out. A little heat from a torch wouldn't hurt, but don't chance burning down the house is what I say, do it mechanically and play it safe. I would stay away from using a cheater on the pipe wrench, you could end up cracking a fitting and then you'd have more work.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Exactly...cut it flush to the hub, then make two cuts with the sawzall going INTO the pipe, then pry the pieces out with a screwdriver or chisel. Clean the inside of the cast iron hub and then get a dual-tite gasket from your supply house, lube it up and install it. Then you just lube the inside of it and the pvc pipe and squeeze it in...you're done.

Comment

Moe wins the prize for the first correct answer
                    sigpic

Comment

So "Dual-Tite" gaskets are approved?

Sounds like an answer to my troubles if so.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        cut the pipe off with a sawzawl, nearly flush with the fitting, then make a couple of cuts through the pipe down into the fitting. You should be able to peel it out a chunk at a time after that.

after that, peel the lead out, dont just pack it back around the PVC, they make a rubber gasket that will fit in that hub and accept pvc, use that instead. But you'll have to get it pretty clean.

Worst case you break the wye and end up calling a professional to help out.
                        Been thinking the same EXACT FIX ALL DAY, THANK YOU
                        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Thank you, guys! I worked on it last night and finally convinced the pipe to come out. I used a 3/8" drill bit (unfortunately broke one in the process ) and then got about 2 inches of lead out and then banged it pretty hard until it started moving. Now I just have to clean it, the gasket is purchased already.

Thanks again for your help, I guess I really shouldn't always listen to "plumbing expert friends" who tell me that this is a threaded and lead connection. Should've probably trusted the real experts in here earlier

Comment

A good bevel on the end of the pvc will let it almost fall in the ty seal

Comment

Working...
                            X