Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Install then test your own work?

Is there a code rule somewhere that states that, "If you install a backflow assembly device, you can not test that same device."? A buddy of mine in Texas tested a device, and they refused his test report, and was told that he can not test his own work (RP installation). This sounds like $hi* to me. Texas Plumbers???

Mick

Re: Can't Install then test your own work?

well on every rough plumbing job,Iinstall and do a head ,and pressure test!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

That's how it is for us. If we install then we can't certify.

Comment

Here, you need to be a plumber to install RP's and you need to be a cross control tester to test RP's. I install and then test them.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          Here, you need to be a plumber to install RP's and you need to be a cross control tester to test RP's. I install and then test them.
          That makes sence to me. I'm not a plumber, so I can't install. I can only test and repair.
          My buddy in Texas can install and he test's. But his water board won't accept his test reports saying that he is not allowed to test his own install. Does that sound right to you, or just like some water people being a little over zealous?

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            That's how it is for us. If we install then we can't certify.
            Is there a reason for this crack? What happens if you were working for an outfit that has multiple plumbers? Could one install, then another test?

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Fireguy97 View Post
              Is there a reason for this crack? What happens if you were working for an outfit that has multiple plumbers? Could one install, then another test?

Mick
              I'm sure the D.C. government could come up with a dozen reasons why we can't. We are allowed to test yearly after the initial certification.

Comment

In Illinois you can install it and test it, as long as you have a CCDI. (Backflow License)

Comment

I don't do testing yet, but this sounds like b.s. to me.

Are you talking about annual testing? So he/she can't test one they installed three years ago?

If so, that's b.s. ANY certified & licensed tester should be allowed to do the testing. The documented tag and record is the checks and balance that holds them liable. A municipality gains no further protection of the system or from conflict of interest by denying the original installer to test & maintain.

J.C.

Comment

In NJ you must have MP license or be working under a MP to replace or repair, You need the State BF tester cert to test, and you can test your own installs or repairs.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      I don't do testing yet, but this sounds like b.s. to me.

Are you talking about annual testing? So he/she can't test one they installed three years ago?

J.C.
                      My Buddy's initial test report was denied. I don't know about them accepting annual test's being accepted after the initial test.

If so, that's b.s. ANY certified & licensed tester should be allowed to do the testing. The documented tag and record is the checks and balance that holds them liable. A municipality gains no further protection of the system or from conflict of interest by denying the original installer to test & maintain.

J.C.
                      I agree! The way that I look at it is that there is integrity involved. If a plumber has to be licensed, insured, certified, and approved up the ying-yang to do any work, then has to be certified and insured to test backflow's - I would think that there would be an implied sense of honor and integrity to go with the pride in someone's work.

Mick

Comment

If they trust to you put it in, they should trust you test if it, if you hold the required certs/license. It's one more cost that the gov't is putting on our shoulders.

Comment

Well if it falls under plumbing code, then it has to be third party certified, if it has to be inspected. Around here anyways.

I wouldn't trust the installer to test his own work. Why would you? If Joe Blow is installing these, and testing them, who is to say he is installing them right? Him? Why not just let all plumbers inspect their own work? If they could, I GUARANTEE there would never be a red tag again. I think it is BS that each city can bypass any portion of the code they want to, but it doesn't matter what I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                            In Illinois you can install it and test it, as long as you have a CCDI. (Backflow License)
                            Just to add here in Illinois the only way to get the CCDI License is to be a licensed plumber.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Macgoose View Post
                              Well if it falls under plumbing code, then it has to be third party certified, if it has to be inspected. Around here anyways.

I wouldn't trust the installer to test his own work. Why would you? If Joe Blow is installing these, and testing them, who is to say he is installing them right? Him? Why not just let all plumbers inspect their own work? If they could, I GUARANTEE there would never be a red tag again. I think it is BS that each city can bypass any portion of the code they want to, but it doesn't matter what I think.
                              I'm not sure if you completely understand what the original poster is referring too. He's not saying that that he wants to install a backflow without an inspection. He's saying that they are trying to refuse annual testing on a backflow from the original installer. Unless I'm confused.

You may not have an annual testing program for your area. But it would be like you installing a backflow, having it inspected, then the next year being refused to perform the testing procedure on it because you installed it. Or the year after, or the year after that.

And I also think it's BS that each city can make an attempt to bypass any portion of the code they want.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X