X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying a valve that needs replaced

I noticed some water under the bathroom sink.
    I think there is a slow leak at the compression valve or valve steam.

The copper tube leading down to the valve seems to be ok, but the valve and fitting is corroded. We have a well and have a Culligansystem in the basement. It has been serviced every year but this year. Still got the corrosion.

Anyway, I need to replace the valve.

Can someone identify the compression fitting I need based on the picture?
    If necessary, I can get a better picture.

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Need help identifying a valve that needs replaced

Originally posted by stanj View Post
    I noticed some water under the bathroom sink.
    I think there is a slow leak at the compression valve or valve steam.

The copper tube leading down to the valve seems to be ok, but the valve and fitting is corroded. We have a well and have a Culligansystem in the basement. It has been serviced every year but this year. Still got the corrosion.

Anyway, I need to replace the valve.

Can someone identify the compression fitting I need based on the picture?
    If necessary, I can get a better picture.

Thanks
    It's not a great picture but it looks like just a standard 1/2" X 3/8" compression angle stop. If you are going to change it, you should consider changing both stops and the supplies while you are at it.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

1st what is wrong with your water low ph "acid water" hardness, Iron etc.?
      2nd how old is your home ?
      3rd have you ever had to repair pin hole leaks?
      you may be able to just replace your valve however this will depend on the age of the pipe and water quality
      you may also be able to get away with replacing just the valve. but it looks like you have a half inch by three eights compression angle fixture valve . This is a very common valve . good luck

Comment

I say this because I have tried to raplace these valves in this same setup and could not get a good connection the pipe just crushes and you have to cut open the wall and have to stub out a new peice. some times i will sweat on a new valve so i don't have to make a compression joint. this can be a real pain or realy fast job it all will depend on water quality and pipe conditions.

Comment

I believe it is a 1/2x3/8 comp angle stop -
          I had to replace one under the kitchen sink last year and I am guessing it is the same type.

I considered replacing the copper supply line with a braided stainless steel supply line..but there is not much room under the sink and I can not see up under the area near the top to get to the coupling.

The house is 17 yrs old. I have not had any issues with pin holes.
          We had the culligan water treatment system installed when we had the house built in 1992. I am not sure why the pipes are showing the blue/white corrosion..
          we had the system checked every year except this year

Comment

Looks like a BrassCraft or Fluidyne rough brass-right angle-1/2"x3/8"-compression stop. The blue/white corrosion could have nothing to do with your water treatment system. Seen what you have from condensation, a tiny weep of a leak that actually stopped itself with mineral content, and drips from up above.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-16-2009, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Not to confuse him but he should actually be shopping for a 5/8" x 3/8" compression angle stop

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                Not to confuse him but he should actually be shopping for a 5/8" x 3/8" compression angle stop
                No. A plumber.

J.C.

Comment

You might want to take a look at whatever you are storing in the cabinet. Some type of cleanser or cleaner, maybe residual cleaner on a sponge or rag is fuming off in the enclosed space and reacting with the copper and brass. How long has the valve looked like that? Why would it accumulate on the tube and valve you ask? Because as water moved through the line it cools the tube and valve, dropping it temperature relative to the rest of the cabinet a few degrees or maybe more. The wet rag or whatever is evaporating the water and some of the cleaner into the air which condenses on the tube and valve, causing or accelerating the corrosion process.

It didn't happen overnight. I realize it not on a weekly inspection list but I would think that corrosion of that magnitude would have noticed before it started leaking.

Just a possibility to consider.

I have seen this on chlorination systems in some of the places I have worked. The slightest leak in the chlorine injection lines will cause everything in the room to be eaten away in no time.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I think I had this same conversation before, so I went back and checked…
                    déj?* vu alright..

This link was jan 08 when I posted a similar question http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=116235#post116235

I ended up getting a 1/2x3/8 similar to this one at Lowes..http://www.plumbpak.com/NPSpecialAngle.html

On the cleaners, that could be it
                    I checked the guest bathroom and the valves are the same - covered with the same corrosion.

I will remove the cleaners and cleanup the valve.

We have a Culligan System in the basement filtering the well water.

Do I have a chlorine injection lines?

If so, how would I check and is this causing the problem and not the cleaners?

Comment

You have quite the retention.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Makes me sad.

http://trade.made-in-china.com/manuf...p_Valve-1.html

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                        X