X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing a 1930's house for the first time,

As posted my SIL and Daughter may have found a home to buy, and old Wards way kit home.
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27473
    It has never had plumbing so to speak of in the house,

Now I know I could drive 60 miles and do some price checks, but if some one has a working idea of what they would Basicly run FOR MATERIALS I would appreciate it.

the reason is if they do get it they would need some idea of the amount of extra money they would need to plumb this house.

but would any one be willing if any one has done a simple house recently, what materials cost for pluming this home would run. (an approximate)

this is not a re plumb but nearly from scratch, (we are hoping the well is functional),
    and purchase of the property would probably hing on the well working,

and the second side of the question, what would you suggest to plumb it with,(for water) pex, copper, (for drain) PVC, ABS?

for a toilet what suggestions? Brand and model if applicable)
    What brand of faucets?
    Any other suggestions for specifying plumbing fixtures and components?

our choices are fairly limited unless we drive 3 hrs or mail order, but would like suggestions.

The difference from the plans is there is a porch/mud room (picture of it,Basicly the only plumbing in the house now) above basement that a clothes washer would be put in but may not be at the current location of the faucets, (currently that is the only location there is running water in the house), but since it has not been lived in since 1992 and possibly earlier,(the lady died in 92, but not sure if that is where she was living) my guess is what piping there is not worth keeping and it is galvanized iron pipe,

And from the picture I can not see a faucet of any type on the kitchen sink. and did not think of looking for one when I saw the house. (I am guessing there there some type of drain even if just out the wall) but do not know as I did not look, may just have been a bucket)

They do not plan on changing the cabinets or any major remodeling, as they love the wood work and the lay out as is.

there major remodel is plumbing and will probably need a good up grade on the electricity as well, (what is there is not bad but very little of it),
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 08-16-2009, 06:55 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: Plumbing a 1930's house for the first time,

Too many questions for me personally to give pricing.

For components of the plumbing. I'd say:

Type L soldered copper.

PVC DWV.

Valves? Hmmmm..... Maybe Delta R10000 for the tub/shower. It's a decent working, reasonable lasting, easily repairable valve.

Faucets are all going to be California lead compliant before long. I haven't been in contact with alot of them yet so I don't know what they've improved or more likely-screwed up. Delta's will work fine and are easy to remove the parts and replace. But they will leak faster than some in my experience.

Toilets just piss me off. Just won't leave decent designs alone. I don't like many of the "speed flushers" that some recommend. Dumps the 1.6 gallons of water in the bowl very rapidly in an attempt to prevent clogging and move waste further faster. But that decreases the sanitation in the bowl because there is almost no washing. Don't like Toto's or Cimmarrons. Yes, some customers have already complained.

No toilet recommendations.

Tub/shower. Cast iron with traditional metal lathe or Schluter system tile.

Or Acrylic combination.

Heavy gauge stainless steel kitchen sink.

Better check that well good. And don't forget the septic system. Bet it has an inadequate one if it has one at all.

Good luck.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to say kitchen sink

Comment

Don't Forget some pex and dish soap

( Just wanted to give you a chuckle )

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/l...hen-sink-7238/

Not my picture OR website

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
      New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Currently there is no septic system, she used a out house, that would need to be put in as well.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
          Don't Forget some pex and dish soap

( Just wanted to give you a chuckle )

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/f33/l...hen-sink-7238/

Not my picture OR website

I like the fact that the picture informs you of what drywall is.

That's important.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            I like the fact that the picture informs you of what drywall is.

That's important.

J.C.
            Not to get off topic but they forgot a very important label.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	42fe510de0909508a442baa61f97d798.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	7943

BHD, best of luck with upgrading that old home, from the ad page it looks like a nice little bungalow.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would run copper and ABS. Pex attracts rats because they smell water in the piping and they chew holes in it.

Comment

thank you ever one for your replies, I did go for a drive and was able to do some price shopping and have a tablet full of price ranges to come up with a staminate at least for them to know how much to work with extra so they can have some running water and inside toilet,

will do my best to talk them into copper, I did not know that about pex, and rats, but I know I have always used copper in any thing in the past.

Thank you again,
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Would say Cellcore for the drains, and Wirsbo Aquapex for the waters.

Price and installation times are ridiculous, and Wirsbo COMPLETELY blows copper away.

If you are trying to say that rats are a good reason to not use Wirsbo, then I think you need to further rodent proof the system. What about the prices of copper?

Wirsbo carries a 25 year warranty. Is ALOT cheaper than copper, and SOOOOO much faster to run. In my experience copper is completely outdated, as a whole water system anyways. It is extremely expensive, labor intensive, and I have seen just normal water use erode holes in the backsides of 90s. Why anyone would install this as a whole system is beyond me.

Under normal circumstances, show me ONE reason why there is any benefit to running copper over Wirsbo? Normal as in, no rats chewing on it. Out of direct sunlight, no shifting of the house, no sorta imposed forces other than gravity on the system.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/Header/Sys.../Overview.aspx

Plenty of info on Wirsbo there.

Comment

Working...
                  X