X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel sink drainhole off by 1/8"

Help! We had a stainless steel sink installed as part of a reno. The drain hole is 3 3/8 not 3 1/2. The garbage disposal flange won't fit. We can't send back the sink because it is under a quartz counter top. I've called plumbers, fabricators, blacksmiths...to no avail. It needs to be "shaved" 1/8". Who can I get to do this? what tool should they be using? What questions should I ask before I let somebody touch the sink (to avoid potential damage)? Thanks!

Re: Stainless steel sink drainhole off by 1/8"

I ordered it through Signature Hardware, never thinking this would happen. I find out the sink is made in India.

Comment

Uh.... go to walmart and buy a dremel tool. Use it with a grinding stone to make the hole the size you need!
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

if you got a steady hand ,,a hand grinder will do it in a minute

Comment

call em. my guess is they will not help you as they use manufacturer warranty. they are in erlanger, ky. have fun. breid...........

Comment

Originally posted by bosnie View Post
            Help! We had a stainless steel sink installed as part of a reno. The drain hole is 3 3/8 not 3 1/2. The garbage disposal flange won't fit. We can't send back the sink because it is under a quartz counter top. I've called plumbers, fabricators, blacksmiths...to no avail. It needs to be "shaved" 1/8". Who can I get to do this? what tool should they be using? What questions should I ask before I let somebody touch the sink (to avoid potential damage)? Thanks!

First of all, the sink went in, it will come out.

Second, you only gotta take a 1/16" off to get your 1/8" extra diameter. I'll second the Dremel.

Comment

Electric drill with a carbide bit. Keep the bit circling the opening so it doesn't offset and pack a lunch; you're going to be there for a while.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

1/8 inch, I guess thats about 3mm? The Dremell will do it. I would prefer a straight grinder (low speed), and a grinding roundell about K 60 , perhaps 2 or 3 of them. (the ones that look like mini sander belts)
                You,ll be finished in about 5 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                  call em. my guess is they will not help you as they use manufacturer warranty. they are in erlanger, ky. have fun. breid...........

Hey I'm real close to that location. Anyone want me to come barging into building with a camera extremely upset spitting when I'm talking and not taking no for an answer?

This can be arranged...

Originally posted by RiR View Post
                  1/8 inch, I guess thats about 3mm? The Dremell will do it. I would prefer a straight grinder (low speed), and a grinding roundell about K 60 , perhaps 2 or 3 of them. (the ones that look like mini sander belts)
                  You,ll be finished in about 5 minutes!

Show us on video; I've always had trouble with dremel tools slowing down when you're trying to grind.

Since I'm asking you of a video, I needed my carbide two days ago and couldn't find it, but I'm going to produce a video of what I'm describing. I've opened up holes in stainless with a carbide...the speed is dictated by what gauge the stainless is.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I believe we have finally found the solution. I have found a Blacksmith. I appreciate the feedback, but we are not good with power tools.

In speaking with the Blacksmith, he has already done exactly the same thing with another sink that was purchased at IKEA. The real lesson here is that sinks which are foreign made need to be checked out to make sure they can take a standard garbage disposal before installing them under quartz or granite counter tops, because perhaps the quality control isn't there on the foreign made products.

It also reminds me to ask where things are made. Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

Glad ya found some help. Blacksmith will probably get the sik real hot and stretch out the hole to the size needed.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                      X