Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with a possibly stupid question...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a possibly stupid question...

My husband would just DIE if he knew that I was doing this, but here goes...
    We are interested in buying a home built in the 40's.
    In order to afford it - we would need to have a suite of some sort.
    When we went for second viewing, we tried to lay out placement of bathroom in basement.
    This is what we found...Click image for larger version

Name:	8b07ee729b1c36ef19085b03554d8e14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	7970
    Pretty high for a toilet.
    Any suggestions?

Re: Newbie with a possibly stupid question...

A lift station of some sort.

Or if it is on city sewer, and the city main is lower than the floor by enough, then just run a new sewer out. From the looks of it, wouldn't hurt to redo some of that anyways.
    Last edited by Macgoose; 08-20-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

You would open up the floor to install all your basement plumbing and run it all to an ejector pit. It is not a DIY job, call at least 3 shops for an estimates. Also have them quote you on repairing the plastic pipe that is going through the wall. That should be cast iron, or sleeved. The more I look at that photo, the more I see wrong. Get a plumber to do a plumbing inspection on the home before you buy it.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Thanks so much guys. Really appreciate the info!

Comment

Originally posted by cakehole View Post
          My husband would just DIE if he knew that I was doing this, but here goes...
          We are interested in buying a home built in the 40's.
          In order to afford it - we would need to have a suite of some sort.
          When we went for second viewing, we tried to lay out placement of bathroom in basement.
          This is what we found...Click image for larger version

Name:	8b07ee729b1c36ef19085b03554d8e14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	7970
          Pretty high for a toilet.
          Any suggestions?
          Another choice would be to see if a toilet with built in holding tank and macerating pump (a pump that chews up the contents from the bowl and then discharges it to the existing drainage) would do the trick. I have installed a few of these units. You can also tie in the average new bathroom group to this type of toilet.

The downfalls are that everything sits above ground/floor level in regards to the plumbing (not too bad if you can get a wall to hide all the plumbing in). And you can hear the pump run when it is on ( brief, but noticable). But, the biggest drawback/concern is that you have to plug this unit in (it needs electricity to run).

Normal toilets use gravity drainage which means they still work when the power goes out. These Saniflo units work extremely well, but if the power goes out you will no longer be able to use it for that period of time.

But any plumbing solution installed in your situation would need to be pumped up and out and would require electricity as well. Most of the time for your situation an average installation usually uses some kind of large pump chamber installed in the floor which can hold a way larger volume = you can still use the toilet multiple times before the chamber fills up. The Saniflo toilet system holding tank is about the same size as the toilet tank itself so you get maybe one one flush and it is full. You need another toilet in the house or learn to hold it until the power comes back on.

A big plus is that you don't have to jack hammer the floor and pour concrete with this installation.

Check out www.saniflo.com and see if this type of idea would work for you. Check the AHJ (Authority having jurisdiction) in your area to see if it is meeting Code/ Regulations.

Cheers

Shawn C.

Comment

From what I see in your photo (if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me), as part of the overall reno cost on this home purchase, you might want to add in the conversion cost of that galvanized water pipe to either Pex or copper. Sooner or later that galvanized pipe will give you trouble.

Comment

As mentioned before, get a plumbing inspection. Definitely have a few local guys tell you what they think would be a good idea for roughing in that basement bathroom. I personally might look for something else as to me there looks to be a bunch of ABS that doesn't look to be correctly installed, but again, this is something for a local plumber to tell you. Good luck with your inspection and reno and I hope everything turns out good.

Comment

What the heck kind of transition is that?

J.C.

Comment

Plumbing questions have been pretty well covered. NOW, a bedroom in the basement raised egress specs. Can't tell from the pic if that window is large enough. Also may be too high off the ground. Better run that one by the local officials.

Expect the code to require something like this: min. window area 5.7 sq.'; window bottom not more than 44" above floor; outside well minimum 36" X 36".
                  Last edited by lovetheUSA; 08-22-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                    Between the PVC and ABS you mean?Hah! I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Whatever it is it looks pretty ghetto especially considering how new that piping looks. I see some hose clamps which is a bad sign, might be something like a fernco, but it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen on there website or in person, probbally something the home owner before jimmy-rigged! Thanks for the laugh J.C.

Comment

I know this is not a plumbing concern...but...I just noticed in the photo 3 "knobs" as in knob & tube electrical wiring, which would be a concern if they are in use. Can you locate them? ....this is like "Where's Waldo?" LOL....

Comment

Good eye. I see them now!
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

And what's up with sliding 3" abs through the old 4" CI?

I don't think I'd get away with that here.

Comment

I also like that 5-6" heating duct or vent going into that 10-12" pipe (maybe a "b" vent) all duct taped up... nice !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                              looks like a 3-4 fernco from here, but I've seen abs 'glued' to pvc more than once.

ps. If you go with a lift station, MAKE IT ACCESIBLE FOR SERVICE, put a real grinder in ($1200 and running 220 to it) instead of the effluent pumps ($300) I am constantly pulling tampons out of, and put it in a pit with some depth to it, and RUN PRESSURE PIPE ON THE OUTLET WITH PRESSURE RATED UNIONS, NOT DWV AND FERNCOS . I see more crap lift station installs than anything else.
                              Last edited by Ace Sewer; 08-25-2009, 12:30 AM.
                              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X