Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: well from he77

rich, as i said, i'm no well pump expert

but a 3/4hp pump at 180' deep and asking for 5gpm with a residual of 25psi seems like too small a pump.

i don't know pumps, but it seems like a lot to ask for a 3/4hp. pump at these specs

is there a link for this pump?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

i guess it's possible with 13 stage pumps 07 series.

http://www.gouldspumps.com/cpf_0009.html

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

What model pump?

5G75412 maybe?

5GPM
        Series G
        3/4HP
        4"

http://www.goulds.com/GP-Product-ID-81.asp
        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-22-2009, 12:21 PM.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
          I agree that the 5 gpm pump seems a little on the low side but, who knows? Typically we install a 10gpm pump at the minimum.

10 feet off the bottom should be good, don't think it will suck mud, since it should be well into the aquafier.
          Please understand pump performance curves if you are going to install pumps. The gallon per minute rating does not reference how much water you will actually get at the top of the well. A 10gpm 1/2 can't pump up 270 feet, can't make that pressure. So when the static level gets low enough it will produces 0 gpm. A 5gpm 1/2 at 270 feet can do so.

To select an appropriate pump you need to know how much water the well can produce how deep the well is and your desired pressure. Absent knowing what the well can produce you need to know your desired volume and have the experience to select a pump that will not run itself dry.

A 10gpm pump is a cheaper pump then a 5gpm cost wise. So many of the Hacks in my area slam 10gpm pumps in at depths that are inappropriate.

Comment

the gallon a min on the pump should be more according to the well capacity, so it will not over pump the well and suck air and burn up the pump as there is no exchange of water to cool the motor,

if the well produces less than 10 you go with a 5 gallon pump, if you have a 12+ then one can use a 10 gallon pump, if you have more you can go up to what your well is permit limits you at,

then for depth you use Horse power and stages on the pump, the draw down depth + the pressure your wanting to pump up to in the pressure system, and match the motor up to the pump,

many of the poor producing wells in our area still use pump jacks as a 5 gallon pump will over pump the well, they use a small cylinder and match it up with the well production and then just use a pump jack as under 5 gallons a min that many times is easer,

If your on a low volume well, many use a Cistern or holding tank, and then use a jet pump to pump out of the holding tank for a pressure system, (as our area is flat, so gravity feed is not overly common on home systems) most of the elevated tanks are no longer used, but most were only elevated 10 or so feet,

but depth has little on the pumps capacity I have seen 50 gallon a min submersibles (not worked on but have seen them), it is more what one can fit down the well casing.

I Use windmills but do have a 10 gallon a min submersible under the one of windmill cylinders, and when they first put in the well we had a 15 gallon a min pump, until it went bad, and when the truck come out he did not have a 15 gallon min, pump and put in a 10gpm unit, (I think the well pumped in excess of 30 gallons a min),

the windmills normally only pump (my 12 footer) pumps about 3 gallons a min 180 feet,, and the 10 footer can pump nearly 2gpm 160 feet,) the 10 footer is on the short stroke, but my 10 footer also pumps the water 3000' horizontal to the house as well,

an as far as pumping mud or other, I think it will depend on the well it self and what the strata is it in, I have one well setting on the bottom of the well and the water is as clean as can be, no mud or sand. It is a very old well and I am only setting in a few feet of water on it.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              What model pump?

5G75412 maybe?

5GPM
              Series G
              3/4HP
              4"

http://www.goulds.com/GP-Product-ID-81.asp
              5GS07422C

http://goulds.com/pdf/7310.pdf

Comment

pump is down at 260', 10' off the bottom, i got it up to pressure took about half an hour of pumping. my only thought is a well that is pretty much dried up. upon further investigation i learned that a golf course had opened up with a well field of 10 pumps approximately 100 yards over the hill. i was told that low water has been going on since may when the golf course opened up. I think my customer is going to have to go after the golf course for a new well. dont know if they will get anywhere but i know they will try. I checked everything on my end other than call out goulds and have them chcek to see if my new pump is bad, i doubt it though because my pump shop bench tests most of their pumps they sell. O BTW I also installed a new check valve on the top, pressure swith, pressure gauge and checked the pressure in the bladder tank. 28PSI exactly! I did my best i guess there just isnt enough water in the well? is that possible?

Comment

I had one brand-new pump bad out-of-the-box. Pressure would come up almost to 40 PSI -- not quite to setpoint -- then watching the gauge, it would drop back to 25 PSI and not budge higher, pump running continuously. You'd think it was pulling air, but there really was sufficient water. I worked on that system for a long time before I decided the new pump had to be bad -- and it was.
                  Regards,
                  Al S.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                    pump is down at 260', 10' off the bottom, i got it up to pressure took about half an hour of pumping. my only thought is a well that is pretty much dried up. upon further investigation i learned that a golf course had opened up with a well field of 10 pumps approximately 100 yards over the hill. i was told that low water has been going on since may when the golf course opened up. I think my customer is going to have to go after the golf course for a new well. dont know if they will get anywhere but i know they will try. I checked everything on my end other than call out goulds and have them chcek to see if my new pump is bad, i doubt it though because my pump shop bench tests most of their pumps they sell. O BTW I also installed a new check valve on the top, pressure swith, pressure gauge and checked the pressure in the bladder tank. 28PSI exactly! I did my best i guess there just isnt enough water in the well? is that possible?
                    Definitely possible.

"I drink your milkshake!"

J.C.

Comment

Defiantly possible. A 5gs07 at 260ft will produce 5.7gpm at 30psi and 6.4 at 0psi. If the wells yield is only 4gpm you're out pumping it with that pump. You can figure out the yield of the well with that pump since it can out pump the well.

If they can get 3-4 gallons a minute from the well its still enough to run a household but not enough to do much in the line of outside watering. Less then that they will have issues.

In my neck of the woods someone on another property has every right to pump what they want for water doesn't matter if it effects someone else's well so going after the golf course would be a losing battle. Only time I see any winning battles is when the EPA gets involved in those cases it involved pumping hundreds of gallons from shallow wash wells and effecting nearby wetlands.

Comment

ladies and gentlemen problem solved.... I am an idiot!!!!! When I pressure tested the line from the well head to the house i forgot one thing...... hey moron what about the check valve. A lightbulb went off in my head today when i looked it over again!! Well after removing the check valve i got 0 pressure on the line to the well. So now I have to call someone to either locae the leak or relace the whole line. I will try to upsell a new line much better than a bandaid and not much more $$$ they already have to pay for the machine for a day, and if we relace all of it I dont have to worry about locating th leak.

Comment

ladies and gentlemen problem solved.... I am an idiot!!!!! When I pressure tested the line from the well head to the house i forgot one thing...... hey moron what about the check valve. A lightbulb went off in my head today when i looked it over again!! Well after removing the check valve i got 0 pressure on the line to the well. So now I have to call someone to either locae the leak or relace the whole line. I will try to upsell a new line much better than a bandaid and not much more $$$ they already have to pay for the machine for a day, and if we relace all of it I dont have to worry about locating th leak.
                          Far from an idiot. Humble enough to admit mistakes or you need help sometimes is good in my opinion. Working on wells can do this to you. Many things going on that can exhibit similar symptoms until you get confused. Even if you've done it many times.

The check at the tank? Leak in the horizontal underground?

J.C.

EDIT: I think I got it. You had a check at the tank with the gauge on the outlet side giving you a reading only on the house. They've got a big leak! Most of the time you don't need that check valve.
                          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 08-25-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X